Preseason Week 1 post game thoughts

ThatJerkDave

MVP of the game  

19 members have voted

1. 1. MVP of the game

• Romeo Doubs
    • ROMEO DOUBS (in capitals)

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

=Jordan Love.  I think he is playing better than he has in the past.  He looks confident, and in control.  But he keeps turning the ball over, and we can't have that.

He really only had the 1.   The 3rd pick was absolutely his fault.  The other two were entirely on Davis and Doubs.  At least Doubs caught the ball before getting it stripped.  Davis' hit him right in the mitts and sends it airborne.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He really only had the 1.   The 3rd pick was absolutely his fault.  The other two were entirely on Davis and Doubs.  At least Doubs caught the ball before getting it stripped.  Davis' hit him right in the mitts and sends it airborne.

I'm just done making excuses.  He is either turnover prone or he happened to be born when Mars transited Jupiter in the Sagittarius constellation and the moon was blue.  

He moves the ball just fine.  But it constantly ends up with the other team.  He turned the ball over against the Saints.  He turned the ball over against the Chiefs.  He turned the ball over twice against the Lions.  And he turned the ball over 3 times tonight.  He turned the ball over 17 times in 13 games as a Junior in college.  It is a pattern until he can break it.  He has 2 TDs and 3 INTs in the regular season and 3 TDs and 4 INTs in the preseason through his 3 years.  That isn't the stat line of a guy that we hand the keys to, nor a guy that we trade for a haul.  

I'm not that down on Love.  I think he has improved since last we saw him.  But the turnovers must stop, or he had better start scoring a lot more.

• Like 1

My first reaction was "I miss thinking this was a good team..." and then I remembered we were playing our scrubs. Then they played their scrubs, and our scrubs still looked like scrubs. I hope our starters are somewhere around as good as I remember them being. We'll see.

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'm not that down on Love.  I think he has improved since last we saw him.  But the turnovers must stop, or he had better start scoring a lot more.

There’s plenty to critique without blaming him for turnovers that weren’t his fault.  Davis catches that ball and we’re inside the RZ. Doubs doesn’t get stripped and maybe the drive continues for more points. Then the narrative is different than the current one- Love throws 3 INTs.  

Focusing on the 3 turnovers is disingenuous in this particular case. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a lot of work ahead of him and he might not be the guy after all, but context matters.  Let’s see how he responds next game. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

There’s plenty to critique without blaming him for turnovers that weren’t his fault.  Davis catches that ball and we’re inside the RZ. Doubs doesn’t get stripped and maybe the drive continues for more points. Then the narrative is different than the current one- Love throws 3 INTs.  

Focusing on the 3 turnovers is disingenuous in this particular case. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a lot of work ahead of him and he might not be the guy after all, but context matters.  Let’s see how he responds next game. 

It's always excuse city for the kid. Jordan Love is a first round pick in his third year. He shouldn't be consistently getting outplayed by street free agents.

Edited by StatKing

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

It's always excuse city for the kid. Jordan Love is a first round pick in his third. He shouldn't be consistently getting outplayed by street free agents.

Love certainly is a love or hate player.  He threw a few very nice balls and one really bad interception.  The 1st 2 interceptions were on the wr's period; no ifs, ands or buts.  Can't use any excuse other than catch the ball Davis and don't get stripped after the catch on the other.  Next game will show me what Love really is.  This game was 50/50 for me and waiting  .. again.    

12 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Love certainly is a love or hate player.  He threw a few very nice balls and one really bad interception.  The 1st 2 interceptions were on the wr's period; no ifs, ands or buts.  Can't use any excuse other than catch the ball Davis and don't get stripped after the catch on the other.  Next game will show me what Love really is.  This game was 50/50 for me and waiting  .. again.    

What is there to love about him at this point? He's in his third year and looks just as inaccurate as he did coming out. The Davis one ill give you as unlucky but the other two were just him throwing the ball behind his WR. Thats not even mentioning the multiple easy checkdowns to RBs in the flat that he just straight up missed.

46 minutes ago, StatKing said:

It's always excuse city for the kid. Jordan Love is a first round pick in his third year. He shouldn't be consistently getting outplayed by street free agents.

So you honestly think that first INT was his fault?  Davis jumps, when he probably didn’t have to, just pluck it, and if he doesn’t raise his hands it would have hit him in the face. That’s not on Love at all. Bad WR’s make that catch all the time. 
The pass to Doubs  was complete until the DB took it away. Also, no way that is on Love. 

It’s happened to others as well as Rodgers and I always felt there should be a catagory  to put the fault on the wide receiver instead of the quarterback. 

I get it though. You just hate Love. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

So you honestly think that first INT was his fault?  Davis jumps, when he probably didn’t have to, just pluck it, and if he doesn’t raise his hands it would have hit him in the face. That’s not on Love at all. Bad WR’s make that catch all the time. 
The pass to Doubs  was complete until the DB took it away. Also, no way that is on Love. 

It’s happened to others as well as Rodgers and I always felt there should be a catagory  to put the fault on the wide receiver instead of the quarterback. 

I get it though. You just hate Love. 

At what point does it stop being everyone elses fault? I hated the Love pick, I dont hate Love. I genuinely want him to be good, I just don't see it.

I dont know how anyone can watch that game last night and think he's anywhere close to where he should be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MuFF said:

I was surprised to see Amari Rodgers as a KR in preseason, as well as a WR late in the game. Given how cautious the Packers are with injuries, I tend to not think this means he is not a lock to make the team.

Wasn't he drafted to be our return guy originally?

So my thoughts although this is just off my head on who stood out and who I thought looked bad. I haven't rewatched it yet which I plan to do this weekend:

Stock Up: 

+Jack Heflin - Was in the backfield consistently and made plays when they needed to be made. 

+Entire OL - I was surprised the pass protection wasn't a disaster and there were some open holes in the run game. 

+ Danny Davis - He is just such  solid guy and great addition to probably the practice squad.

+ Amari Rogers - Especially on special teams I thought he looked pretty good returning. He may never be a plus receiver so I don't know if he is a good enough returner to keep on. 

+ Shemar Jean-Charles - I thought he played a pretty decent game. Stayed close to his guy when I saw him targeted and was also decent in run support. 

+ Jordan Love - I thought outside of the first drive he looked pretty damn good. Two of those INT were not on him at all and the 3rd apparently there was 2 WRs that ran the wrong routes. 

+ Isiah McDuffie - Played pretty decent and seemed to have his head in the special teams as well. 

+ Chris Slayton - Big dude big. 

+ Kiondre Thomas - Pretty impressed with him in coverage considering some of the struggles there. 

Stock Unchanged 

Romeo Doubs - The dude gets open but you have to catch balls and you cannot allow a DB to rip one away from you. I think this game showed his talent but I think the couple mistakes need to be cleaned up. 

BJ Baylor - Caught a nice pass out of the backfield but something about him screams there are better backs on other teams PS. 

Tyler Goodson - Some might disagree but I saw a guy who is pretty much an average RB. Nothing was special about his game but as an RB3 in a pinch probably could hold down the fort.

Pat O'Donnel - Punter punts but punts average for a punter to punt. 

Juwan Winfree - Seems to make a couple plays that may get a first down but never anything special in his game. 

Josiah Deguara - I thought he was pretty good but then looked pretty bad. Inconsistent but at least you see some of the talent that got him drafted. 

Stock Down:

Ishamael Hyman - I thought he may be a dude to show up big in the preseason but didn't see anything. 

Dallen Leavit - Got burned out of his shoes and then gets injured. Its unfortunate for him but as a safety you absolutely cannot allow someone over the top to get that wide open. 

Rico Gafford - Ugly ugly game from him. 

Gabe Brkic - Mason better be back or they need to bring in someone better when the season starts. 

Ray Wilborn - Just didn't look good IMO. 

Love looked alright. Some of the short to the flat passes (even though the RBs could of helped him out) need to be cleaned up. He looked better throwing the ball medium to deep. Both TDs were nicely placed balls. INT over the middle and high ball to Winfree were his worst plays. I wouldnt say there's a large improvement here but I think its a good sign he's slinging it more deep.

Amari made some plays which was good to see. You see his college burst coming out. I would still like to see him make some plays over he middle. Seems like he hasn't got the separation. But havent watched the film to see if he got open a bunch. 

Doubs looked as advertised besides the drop and the  weird interception. I like it probably will take him back to earth and not be overhyped about his play.

Winfree made some nice catches underneath and the pop up catch saving Love.

OL didn't give up a sack that I saw and sprung some runs free.

The running back depth seems to be there, they all looked fast to hit those holes and had nice agility.

The low depth chart corners looked liked low depth chart corners..

DL for the most part held up the run.

Enagbare seemed to have a few good pressures. 

ILBs and Safteys played okay didnt really focus on them much.