The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

50 minutes ago, Broncofan said:
  Hide contents

This is one part where playing the game made David a LOT more of a menace.    TV show did a great job in making him creepy as hell - but the game having the zombie battle with Ellie in the first part, then reveal his awareness of Ellie, and then the extended resort / Joel fighting scenes to get to Ellie, and of course, that boss battle, it made it so much more tense to experience beating David.

Having said that, I get why they couldn't include it - and the Cordyceps / tricking dead man's daughter (and foreshadowing his proclivities with her) did really expand on David's pure depravity.  

But again, Druckmann & Mazin kept the essential scenes that needed to stay - and man, Pascal & Ramsey knocked it out of the park.    I'll always consider Troy Baker & Ashley Johnson as the OG Joel & Ellie - but no one can argue choosing Pascal & Ramsey for the TV series after this season.

"Baby Girl" - gets you in all the feels.

Yeah, watching the playthrough as I do on Mondays and they could've done a lot more w/ David. Even if it's just the initial clicker encounter when they first meet and he has a pistol but didn't divulge it, that could've gone a long way of adding more to his character in making him seem like a trustworthy person. No need to do the entire factory fight (even though that part was awesome and pretty challenging) but those little pieces would've been a nice addition to their interaction instead of.... again... rushing through everything. Tough to complain about that at this point b/c like you said, it's over and done w/ and it seems like S2 and S3 won't be this way.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, watching the playthrough as I do on Mondays and they could've done a lot more w/ David. Even if it's just the initial clicker encounter when they first meet and he has a pistol but didn't divulge it, that could've gone a long way of adding more to his character in making him seem like a trustworthy person. No need to do the entire factory fight (even though that part was awesome and pretty challenging) but those little pieces would've been a nice addition to their interaction instead of.... again... rushing through everything. Tough to complain about that at this point b/c like you said, it's over and done w/ and it seems like S2 and S3 won't be this way.

I too felt disappointed with David. Mostly because he is my favorite bad guy in the first game. Going in without game bias though this is still an amazing episode. 

I find myself REALLY wishing I didnt play the game for this experience but then I wouldn't trade in that gaming experience for anything soooooo IM CONFLICTED 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I too felt disappointed with David. Mostly because he is my favorite bad guy in the first game. Going in without game bias though this is still an amazing episode. 

I find myself REALLY wishing I didnt play the game for this experience but then I wouldn't trade in that gaming experience for anything soooooo IM CONFLICTED 

I also prefer it in this order, because after seeing the series, I would know the big payoff moments in-game.    To me, going through 20+ hours and experiencing the big moments first, that's just such an experience that IMO is still unmatched in my VG years.    There have been better games, but as far as story + game goes, never been hit the same way.   Why it's still my favorite game story bar none (sorry, FFVI & Chrono Trigger / Mass Effect). 

The other part - I get to watch with family / friends who haven't played.   It's pretty fun to experience it through their lens.   They all are pretty open to a VG playthrough now lol.  

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Why it's still my favorite game story bar none (sorry, FFVI & Chrono Trigger / Mass Effect). 

Whew, that would be a fun conversation to have at a different time lol. Chrono Trigger was fantastic but I don't think it touches FFVI or this game. I could easily see the final two being a good topic to discuss though. Always said I wanted to see an adaptation to FFVI in a series but more realistically, a new gen remake. The characters and story are SO good and Kefka is an all-time villain from any movie, game, real life etc.

53 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I almost would say the show first then the game as well. They're definitely leaving out almost all of the action for this series and I hope that changes for the next couple seasons since they say it'll be more spread out. Would be nice to go into the game thinking you're going to play the show to see some nice surprises lol.

This honestly was probably the grossest episode of the season. Loved the episode but like seriously just when I thought it was disgusting enough, they progressively managed to outdo themselves as the episode continued 🤢

6 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

My only complaint, and it's been well discussed here, is it sure feels like each episode could be longer and/or they could've added a few more episodes.

Or have 2 seasons....

Financial reality and hindsight unfortunately. Who knew that this would have better numbers than peak GOT. At least they can do two seasons for part 2.

Feeling a bit of gamer's guilt here. It really set the bar too high, and everything that isn't replicated the same or up to par will be a disappointment. Last episode had some really low and high parts all together for me.

Felt like Bella was so terrible at the beginning of the episode, her acting ability seemed to have went off a cliff there for me. Then by the end, she was absolutely amazing; particularly starting from the cage scene.

Pacing has definitely been the most conflicting part for me, especially in the last few episodes. Definitely think I'd be enjoying this more for what it is if I didn't keep having to naturally compare to what I already know and expect to happen.

One gripe I have overall in general is that I feel like the CGI/SFX has been pretty piss poor (or used laughably) on this show. The dead guy falling through the floor and the infected coming out of the sewers come to mind.

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 1

Im sure a lot of it is my playing the game before watching the show….but I’m pretty blah on the show up to this point.

it’s not a bad show by any means, the production value is great, cinematography as well, however I don’t find myself attached to the characters like in the game.

it’s just weird, the show feels rushed and slow all at the same time.

The lack of interactions with clickers is really disappointing as well. The game wasn’t overrun with them, but they at least kept you on your toes and some of the absolute best and scariest moments were with clickers. I’ll never forget playing that basement scene starting the generator in the dark with headphones on, my heart was racing.

I thought Episodes 1, 2, and 3 were fantastic, with episode 2 being the best overall. I just kept waiting for the adventures and interactions to happen and when they did, they were just underwhelming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pats#1 said:

Im sure a lot of it is my playing the game before watching the show….but I’m pretty blah on the show up to this point.

it’s not a bad show by any means, the production value is great, cinematography as well, however I don’t find myself attached to the characters like in the game.

it’s just weird, the show feels rushed and slow all at the same time.

The lack of interactions with clickers is really disappointing as well. The game wasn’t overrun with them, but they at least kept you on your toes and some of the absolute best and scariest moments were with clickers. I’ll never forget playing that basement scene starting the generator in the dark with headphones on, my heart was racing.

I thought Episodes 1, 2, and 3 were fantastic, with episode 2 being the best overall. I just kept waiting for the adventures and interactions to happen and when they did, they were just underwhelming.

I’ve never played the game and I don’t feel all that attached to the characters either.

The show has a weird pacing about it IMO

Not bad at all and still enjoyable, but clearly not on top HBO (GOT, True Detective s1) level IMO

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Feeling a bit of gamer's guilt here. It really set the bar too high, and everything that isn't replicated the same or up to par will be a disappointment. Last episode had some really low and high parts all together for me.

Felt like Bella was so terrible at the beginning of the episode, her acting ability seemed to have went off a cliff there for me. Then by the end, she was absolutely amazing; particularly starting from the cage scene.

Pacing has definitely been the most conflicting part for me, especially in the last few episodes. Definitely think I'd be enjoying this more for what it is if I didn't keep having to naturally compare to what I already know and expect to happen.

One gripe I have overall in general is that I feel like the CGI/SFX has been pretty piss poor (or used laughably) on this show. The dead guy falling through the floor and the infected coming out of the sewers come to mind.

Infected coming out of the sewers? Are you talking about the ending of episode 5 with the bloater and swarm? If yes, it was mostly practical.