53-man roster moves: Agim, Muti, J-Johnson cut, Malik Reed traded; 3 players to IR

Broncofan

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

That 2020 draft is shaping up to being Elways worst.

2018's initial shine certainly fades over time, too - obv passing on Allen is always going to be mentioned (but again, no one knew Allen would be that good - and he was sushi raw for 2+ years before it all came together).   But Sutton's injuries and his style have certainly taken the mega-hit pick status away (and to be fair to Elway, can't predict injuries).    In the end, Jewell ends up being the most impactful pick.       

2019 actually looks better in hindsight - Dre'mont Jones & Risner were actual full-time starters in their time here.   Fant & Lock were obv disappointments, but getting 3 full-time starters is a decent result.  

In contrast, despite far more draft capital, 2020 ends with 2 starters (Jeudy & Cush), of which only Jeudy has any chance to stick beyond his rookie deal.  Hamler could still bounce back to be our 3rd WR, but even then, the bounceback would be in his 3rd year (which is the earliest ETA to be fully back from his rookie year ACL) - and that takes away a massive part of the return on a rookie deal.  Again, injuries happen, can't really hold that against Elway - but overall, the Day 2 picks just didn't work out at all, and no Day 3 gems.

Contrast that to 2021 & 2022 - forget PS2, Browning looks like a gamechanger, Meinerz  a foundation piece, Sterns looks like he's going to be a foundation starter as  well, and Cooper's a serviceable 3rd/4th EDGE.   With 2022, even though it's super-early, Dulcich, Bonnito & Mathis all look like 2023 starters, and Dulcich an impact piece.   And I still like the flashes Turner-Yell has demonstrated. 

Paton needs to hit home runs for the OL/DL this offseason, but it's crazy how fans are turning on him.   He's a massive reason why the roster is in such good shape, and cap-wise too as well.  Of course, it's moot if he can't get the QB/HC right, but orgs that don't draft well are doomed long-term.    In that respect, Paton's roster building and draft excellence has more than earned a long leash - provided his next HC hire works. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Read RB Chase Edmonds is due $5.7M next season, more than likely we cut him because of it. But freeing up that on cap space, we could use that as part of an offer for T Mike McGlinchey or another O-lineman to help protect Wilson and improve on our running game. 

On 1/14/2023 at 1:58 PM, Cutler06 said:

Read RB Chase Edmonds is due $5.7M next season, more than likely we cut him because of it. But freeing up that on cap space, we could use that as part of an offer for T Mike McGlinchey or another O-lineman to help protect Wilson and improve on our running game. 

Edmonds is definitely gone at that price, but I actually wouldn't mind bringing he and Murray back. Javonte is not going to be fully healthy next year. Murray looked better than I expected. Edmonds offers passing game value. We should certainly consider it

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Edmonds is definitely gone at that price, but I actually wouldn't mind bringing he and Murray back. Javonte is not going to be fully healthy next year. Murray looked better than I expected. Edmonds offers passing game value. We should certainly consider it

The RB FA market means letting Edmonds walk is a no brainer though.   

There are 2-3 guys who likeky re-sign / get tagged (top end guys), but this is as deep a FA class as you can get for RB, far more than any year (even if you take the top 3 away): 

Elite

Barkley (likely stays) 

Jacobs (unclear what McD will do we know he’s all about “his guys” and didn’t exercise option but used him like a rented mule) 

Pollard (DAL almost certainly extends / tags him Zeke looks clearly on decline).

Very Good 

Miles Sanders

Ja’maal Williams  (17 TD but 12 of them from 2 yards or less IIRC - be careful on overpaying) 

Devin Singletary 

Starter level 

D’onta Foreman 

Raheem Mostert (30 - stay away) 

Versatile / backups with low mileage and ability 

D’Ernest Johnson 

Alexander Mattison 

Jerick McKinnon 

Jeff Wilson 

I don’t think spending big $ is wise.  But even before you add Edmonds / Latavius to the pool there are well over 10+ RB’s who can be MILES better than the Boones / MG3 of the world.    

Getting 1 will cost far less than 5.7M if you don’t go after the top tier (nor should we).    We should absolutely draft a RB in Rd4 or later as it’s a deep class - that way we have 2 guys to feel good about this year and long term on the cheap.  

Edmonds is a good 3rd down / COP guy but that’s his limit.   That’s not worth 5.7M in this RB market.   If he’s willing to take a big pay cut - sure.    But otherwise we should absolutely test the FA market for better value.   We can find a strong 2023 plan B FA & long term also get a rookie RB late this draft with way more upside than most years (Instead of looking for a starter RB in day 3 in other talent poor years driven by present year need, take a shot on RB every year or 2 - and keep recycling the position if if it’s not a generational talent).  

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The RB FA market means letting Edmonds walk is a no brainer though.   

There are 2-3 guys who likeky re-sign / get tagged (top end guys), but this is as deep a FA class as you can get for RB, far more than any year (even if you take the top 3 away): 

Elite

Barkley (likely stays) 

Jacobs (unclear what McD will do we know he’s all about “his guys” and didn’t exercise option but used him like a rented mule) 

Pollard (DAL almost certainly extends / tags him Zeke looks clearly on decline).

Very Good 

Miles Sanders

Ja’maal Williams  (17 TD but 12 of them from 2 yards or less IIRC - be careful on overpaying) 

Devin Singletary 

Starter level 

D’onta Foreman 

Raheem Mostert (30 - stay away) 

Versatile / backups with low mileage and ability 

D’Ernest Johnson 

Alexander Mattison 

Jerick McKinnon 

Jeff Wilson 

I don’t think spending big $ is wise.  But even before you add Edmonds / Latavius to the pool there are well over 10+ RB’s who can be MILES better than the Boones / MG3 of the world.    

Getting 1 will cost far less than 5.7M if you don’t go after the top tier (nor should we).    We should absolutely draft a RB in Rd4 or later as it’s a deep class - that way we have 2 guys to feel good about this year and long term on the cheap.  

Edmonds is a good 3rd down / COP guy but that’s his limit.   That’s not worth 5.7M in this RB market.   If he’s willing to take a big pay cut - sure.    But otherwise we should absolutely test the FA market for better value.   We can find a strong 2023 plan B FA & long term also get a rookie RB late this draft with way more upside than most years (Instead of looking for a starter RB in day 3 in other talent poor years driven by present year need, take a shot on RB every year or 2 - and keep recycling the position if if it’s not a generational talent).  

If I'm Paton, I wait a bit and offer Mattison a one or two year deal. He probably doesn't take it, but I wouldn't be against a fairly large 1-year deal for one of these backup RBs. Javonte will be back, but his likelihood of being anywhere near as effective is slim, and we have to acknowledge that. Maybe he bucks the trend, in which case, we have a nice stable of RB talent to lean on. But if he doesn't return to form, you're back looking for a decent RB again and you could effectively give someone like Mattison or Johnson a trial in that role.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If I'm Paton, I wait a bit and offer Mattison a one or two year deal. He probably doesn't take it, but I wouldn't be against a fairly large 1-year deal for one of these backup RBs. Javonte will be back, but his likelihood of being anywhere near as effective is slim, and we have to acknowledge that. Maybe he bucks the trend, in which case, we have a nice stable of RB talent to lean on. But if he doesn't return to form, you're back looking for a decent RB again and you could effectively give someone like Mattison or Johnson a trial in that role.

Yeah it would be a shock if Paton didn’t leverage the FA glut.   I also think he will draft a RB given the MIN MO to have a cheap rookie deal RB as a legit backup.    MIN always had 3 viable RB they could trust.  

Obv last year the staff thought MG3 / Boone were decent backups but that wasn’t the case.   This offseason the ability to get a day 3 rookie and cheap FA good RB (miles better than MG3 2021-22 version) at bargain prices seems like a value Paton would be crazy to pass up.    

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah it would be a shock if Paton didn’t leverage the FA glut.   I also think he will draft a RB given the MIN MO to have a cheap rookie deal RB as a legit backup.    MIN always had 3 viable RB they could trust.  

Obv last year the staff thought MG3 / Boone were decent backups but that wasn’t the case.   This offseason the ability to get a day 3 rookie and cheap FA good RB (miles better than MG3 2021-22 version) at bargain prices seems like a value Paton would be crazy to pass up.    

If he's even the GM anymore. I honestly don't get the feeling he's long for this role. I think that would be a mistake, but it is what it is. We can go back to a personnel guy like Elway who set the team back just as much, if not more, than Paton. 

17 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Yes, I believe he is. Looks more like a FB than a HB though

He's definitely a backup/3rd down back, but I do think he'd be a fine pickup for someone. That said, I'd rather a little more speed out of the backfield. If Ryans is hired as HC, I would expect a stable of RBs to be used like SF has done the last few years.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

He's definitely a backup/3rd down back, but I do think he'd be a fine pickup for someone. That said, I'd rather a little more speed out of the backfield. If Ryans is hired as HC, I would expect a stable of RBs to be used like SF has done the last few years.

The SF coaching tree also places a value on home run speed / thumper combos (or getting a guy who can do both, like Breece Hall).   I like Perine as a backup, but he's neither. 

Edited by Broncofan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I remember a LOT of hype around us drafting Montrell Washington without much return (no pun intended). So with the signing of Tremon Smith, does this place a little more importance on the development of Washington as a WR or did his butt just get put on the hot seat ?