Jarvis Landry Domestic Violence Video Released

RuskieTitan

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

Tolerance is irrelevant. Blood alcohol content is what matters. For a 180 lb man his BAC after 1 hour is .084%, which is over the legal limit of .08.

If he downs his 5 beers and immediately sets out to drive, he's going to be driving drunk.

You want to keep adjusting for tolerance, other factors. I simply picked 5 and 25 as an example. You may use any number you wish, but the point is breaking the law by 1% is still breaking the law.

And I'm saying a .084 is not the same as a .15.  Legally they're both gonna be a DUI, but .15 is much more likely to end badly for everyone on the road.

10 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Good luck explaining the nuances of such a situation to the victim, or one that involves children and/or DCS. The victim and children involved are affected much of the same no matter the degree of the instance. Also, as I noted earlier, rarely is such behavior an isolated incidence.

May I interject a point of view that the victim involved was a sibling, or offspring. How then would you respond?

How then would I respond? To that? I probably ask my daughter/sister/cousin what was happening, and depending on if she tells me anything or not I keep a close eye on the situation from then forward. Ray Rice situation? I go to prison for 1st degree murder.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

And I'm saying a .084 is not the same as a .15.  Legally they're both gonna be a DUI, but .15 is much more likely to end badly for everyone on the road.

Unless the .15 is a guy who lives a mile from the bar on a back road with no other residents or business between the two, and the other is occurring at 6:30 in the morning while the guy has to travel through two different school zones.

Which just goes to show there are a billion different factors that can determine what ends up more likely to end badly, but the one constant is both are illegal.

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

Unless the .15 is a guy who lives a mile from the bar on a back road with no other residents or business between the two, and the other is occurring at 6:30 in the morning while the guy has to travel through two different school zones.

Which just goes to show there are a billion different factors that can determine what ends up more likely to end badly, but the one constant is both are illegal.

Given equal driving conditions, .15 is worse than .084.  It just is.  Knocking a girl unconscious is worse than a small shove.  And I'm not even saying Landry shouldn't be punished, I come form the school that you don't put your hands on a woman unless it is necessary to prevent someone from getting hurt.  But the Ray Rice incident was clearly worse.

Both actions can be illegal but one can still be more damaging than the other. In US courts, that is the whole purpose of a verdict... lesser punishments for technical violators and greater punishments for particularly heinous or malicious violations of the same crime. This concept isn't that hard to grasp.

It's hard to see what's even going on in this video, I don't think anyone can infer much from it. And even if it is domestic violence there is no way it's on the same level as the Ray Rice incident.

I'd be shocked if the NFL went back on it and suspended him, now. Will probably hurt his chances at scoring big in FA.. which may actually help us retain him lol.

NFL should've suspended him either way. It would've been over by now if they did, but with the video out now they're going to overeact to the video or not do anything at all and they'll get hate for it either way. 

Amazing how people can go off topic so quickly.

Going to give my 2 cents as someone with a CRJ background - there are levels to everything. There’s a reason why things like 1st degree and 2nd degree exist, and sure you can classify incidents under one paint brush, but you’ll see both legally and in the court of public opinion that egregiousness comes into the equation more often than not. I think the NFL took that into consideration along with the poor quality of the video and that’s why they elected to let Landry skate. In my opinion, it’s clear he was acting aggressively, but some of the superlatives being thrown around might be a little over the top. 

I don’t imagine this really having a huge effect on his career as a football player unless this becomes a habit.

Archived