2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears aren't trading Fields and taking Stroud. That's just idiocy and a waste of time to even discuss. Stroud has a worse arm and doesn't run even close to as well as Fields does. He's a worse prospect.

The phrase "4d chess"has really enabled some ideas to escape into wild that really shouldn't have hatched. 

• Like 1

I gotta say watched a video on Will Anderson and Jalen Carter last night that made me think neither is bust proof.   

I like Jalen Carter as a prospect better than Will.  Carter is a freakish athlete for his size, but he lacks the brute power and meanness of a Sapp or Donald at this time.  He also gasses and takes a lot of plays off.   Still, he has a really high ceiling.  Of tape I have seen, which admittedly isn’t much, I liked Chris Jones and Aaron Donald’s college tape a ton better.  If I had editing skills and time I would place college reps side by side.

Will doesn’t finish enough and is small.

Rooting for a trade down right now.   

• Like 2

I was thinking about the possibility of not being able to trade down and we have to pick at #2/#3 who would we pick and having listened to Flus speak about versatility of defensive linemen & Alan Williams speaking about "thick'ems" I thought I would look at if Flus ever had a DE as small as Will Anderson in Indy...

2018: Lewis (277lbs)...Grissom (265lbs)...Hunt (295lbs)...Muhammad (250lbs)...Sheard (268lbs)...Turay (252lbs)

2019: Lewis (277lbs)...Hunt (295lbs)...Muhammad (250lbs)...Sheard (268lbs)...Turay (252lbs)...Banogu (252lbs)...Houston (270lbs)

2020: Lewis (277lbs)....Muhammad (250lbs)...Turay (252lbs)...Banogu (252lbs)...Houston (270lbs)

2021: Lewis (277lbs)....Muhammad (250lbs)...Turay (252lbs)...Paye (265lbs)...Rochell (280lbs)...Odeyingbo (285lbs)

It's pretty clear that this "Cover 2" isn't Lovie's or Dungy's when it comes to undersized DEs...Flus has said in the past this is a big mans game and it wouldn't shock me if they have a very similar grade on Anderson (6'3" 243lbs) as they do on Myles Murphy (6-5" 275lbs) & Tyree Wilson (6-6" 275lbs)...no doubt in my mind Jalen Carter is above Anderson on their board given his size/athletic ability & the importance of that position to this defence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I was thinking about the possibility of not being able to trade down and we have to pick at #2/#3 who would we pick and having listened to Flus speak about versatility of defensive linemen & Alan Williams speaking about "thick'ems" I thought I would look at if Flus ever had a DE as small as Will Anderson in Indy...

2018: Lewis (277lbs)...Grissom (265lbs)...Hunt (295lbs)...Muhammad (250lbs)...Sheard (268lbs)...Turay (252lbs)

2019: Lewis (277lbs)...Hunt (295lbs)...Muhammad (250lbs)...Sheard (268lbs)...Turay (252lbs)...Banogu (252lbs)...Houston (270lbs)

2020: Lewis (277lbs)....Muhammad (250lbs)...Turay (252lbs)...Banogu (252lbs)...Houston (270lbs)

2021: Lewis (277lbs)....Muhammad (250lbs)...Turay (252lbs)...Paye (265lbs)...Rochell (280lbs)...Odeyingbo (285lbs)

It's pretty clear that this "Cover 2" isn't Lovie's or Dungy's when it comes to undersized DEs...Flus has said in the past this is a big mans game and it wouldn't shock me if they have a very similar grade on Anderson (6'3" 243lbs) as they do on Myles Murphy (6-5" 275lbs) & Tyree Wilson (6-6" 275lbs)...no doubt in my mind Jalen Carter is above Anderson on their board given his size/athletic ability & the importance of that position to this defence.

Anderson looks to have enough frame to get to 250-255 pretty easily. I’ll be curious to see if he adds that 10ish lbs before the combine and can keep his same elite quickness. Murphy and Wilson have more ideal size, and I have all 3 plus Carter as top 10 prospects in this class, but Anderson’s pass rush skills are rare, and he’s a good run defender too. Carter is a stud prospect, but you can find a guy with comparable skills to Carter in most FA classes and in a lot of drafts. Elite edge rushers are so hard to find, and even harder to find cheaply. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Anderson looks to have enough frame to get to 250-255 pretty easily. I’ll be curious to see if he adds that 10ish lbs before the combine and can keep his same elite quickness. Murphy and Wilson have more ideal size, and I have all 3 plus Carter as top 10 prospects in this class, but Anderson’s pass rush skills are rare, and he’s a good run defender too. Carter is a stud prospect, but you can find a guy with comparable skills to Carter in most FA classes and in a lot of drafts. Elite edge rushers are so hard to find, and even harder to find cheaply. 

I would argue the opposite…for me there are very few UTs with the rare skill set Carter has in comparison to the amount of quality Edge rusher there are around the league…sure you can find guys who are close but very few who have Carter’s skill set. Anderson is a great player as well & I have little doubt he adds weight before the combine but I don’t he plays at that weight.

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If Flus can't use Anderson because ~his defense~ normally uses larger humans, then he needs to go as coach tbh.

remember, Martz pushed greg olsen out the door because ~his offense~ didn't really use tight ends, and we all saw how that worked out.

get the best players, adjust your scheme if you have to, and put them in a good position on the field to succeed

• Like 3

Watching Anderson vs. LSU some selected clips from game.  I'd rather watch game tape than highlights.  Just copy and paste and go into browser for edited clips:

Doesn't show great closing speed here.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxzb3gPo4El0r8xJucBQROSTFRbMDVSm4_

Good inside move here to create pressure.  But QB is too fast.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxR3vfDkW8ywPR1ZmFakOt2x6k6Mnswd5b

Gets too deep allows easy step up.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxEmgPI2ILq3WxJnx66aBYEp8IuTeQzvI-

Not great closing speed again.  

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxWXyZ7z6CjQZMbHXo4bDnOiTbrLYF7FTW

Let's stop for a moment and contrast with a known great player - watch Micah Parsons run down Justin Fields - we know Fields is not slow:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxGipPBjEIC0gqQj2kCAB8j2_vTv6ZJ3RK

Coverage Sack - but good hustle.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxzFI6tuMRR2Z64P5CGuF3l01MFySmsjqD

This was a good play.  Terrible block - but credit to Anderson he made the play. 

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxiVYpZ6o_hgxP6mKNroc3_tq_v1K4a9wT

He gets behind LOS which is good, but doesn't finish on these two plays.  

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxeYREuyiNvtQtU3DdjZnyoZ0hIVNCyM-g

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxPKIWI78y9LbwkHOqaFn4_AMa3eUF4mhN

Too deep again.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4VVrCHZaw77SNvz6qsYobMeyYk_jehiJ

So box score isn't bad - a sack and some pressures, but you watch tape and it isn't great.

And if I was to go back and grade loafs - he had a lot of them in that game.  

One game of many - and it looks like he had a monster 2021 - so I know likely I am not seeing his best work.  But color me not impressed with the LSU game film.   Not no. 2 or 3 overall impressed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

If Flus can't use Anderson because ~his defense~ normally uses larger humans, then he needs to go as coach tbh.

remember, Martz pushed greg olsen out the door because ~his offense~ didn't really use tight ends, and we all saw how that worked out.

get the best players, adjust your scheme if you have to, and put them in a good position on the field to succeed

The point isn’t Flus can’t use Anderson…the point is Anderson IMO isn’t as far ahead of some of the other edge rushers in this class as some think and IMO isn’t as rare a prospect as Jalen Carter is who not only has the talent level but also does fit what we want to do better.

• Like 1

I'd wager given how much importance Flus places on the 3t, that Carter is a far more likely pick for us than Anderson...

That said, between the two I take Anderson every time...... Why? He simply touches the QB dramatically more than Carter does, and defensive tackles are kind of like offensive guards to me value wise. You don't take them in the top 10,(let alone top 5) unless you EXPECT a generational talent at the position.

THAT said, frankly I think both are overrated as hell, and I desperately want to trade down and net 2 picks in the 15-36 range...... I want Jalin Hyatt-WR on this team (and I'm expecting him to end up in the mid-late 20s), and there's tons of of other talent that can be had with an additional pick.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Mcshay is clueless. He also said JSN didn't play much this year to protect himself. I know it for a fact that that's 100% false. That's a GM trying to get him to fall a few draft slots

It is one of the things that I hate about the pre-draft process cause these are young guys and your potentially costing them millions with stuff like this…fine if you can properly back it up but if you can’t then keep your mouth shut…

I also agree McShay has always been useless.