Week 1 GDT: Giants @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

12 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Seeing AJ Brown get 13 targets(something that only happened two times while he was here) in his first game with Philly, a run first team, is disheartening.

Meanwhile, we may be the only team in the league to run a WRBC system. I don’t know why any big time WR would want to play here.

It’s almost as if some teams prioritize getting the ball into their playmakers hands, versus just ensuring their running back and TE3 gets as many touches as humanly possible 

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

It’s almost as if some teams prioritize getting the ball into their playmakers hands, versus just ensuring their running back and TE3 gets as many touches as humanly possible 

I thought if we targeted Corey Davis as much as the Texans targeted Hopkins, we'd have a different view, but I think that's false more now.

Davis couldn't hold up with that many targets healthwise.
It's the same thing for those that say if Chubb/Taylor had as many carries as Henry...... 
Well Chubb can barely hold up with the carries he gets now....

Saying that to say, you gotta have the talent and body to hold up to that many targets. Can AJ hold up? I don't think he can handle 13 a game. He hasn't shown he can yet. 

But long way of saying..lol Yeah target ya boy. 

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I thought if we targeted Corey Davis as much as the Texans targeted Hopkins, we'd have a different view, but I think that's false more now.

Davis couldn't hold up with that many targets healthwise.
It's the same thing for those that say if Chubb/Taylor had as many carries as Henry...... 
Well Chubb can barely hold up with the carries he gets now....

Saying that to say, you gotta have the talent and body to hold up to that many targets. Can AJ hold up? I don't think he can handle 13 a game. He hasn't shown he can yet. 

But long way of saying..lol Yeah target ya boy. 

I guess the real question is

injuries aside. We have no qualms about getting Derrick 20+ touches a game. Reality is closer to 25+ I would guess.

But any other talented offensive player? They’re lucky if they get 5.

41 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I guess the real question is

injuries aside. We have no qualms about getting Derrick 20+ touches a game. Reality is closer to 25+ I would guess.

But any other talented offensive player? They’re lucky if they get 5.

Yeah that's where that philosophy kicks in. Derrick isn't the only talented player on the team. I would feel some type of way after a while too if that was the case. (AJ didn't want to be here). 

Burks showed he can make plays. I don't care if you only have 12 plays he can run.  Run those 12 to get him the ball. Then flip the field and run them again. 

43 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Oh wow

Giants/Bengals game aside...I do firmly believe that the day we move on from Vrabel is the day we take a big step back as an organization

All that said, I am growing increasingly uncomfortable with how he manages our offense. It's no longer a "trend," but more of a philosophy. 

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Giants/Bengals game aside...I do firmly believe that the day we move on from Vrabel is the day we take a big step back as an organization

All that said, I am growing increasingly uncomfortable with how he manages our offense. It's no longer a "trend," but more of a philosophy. 

the situation we're in with vrabel is almost analogous to our situation with tannehill. it's obviously not a 1:1 comparison down to every detail, and you can't just compare a player and coach...but man, it's beginning to feel like the same kind of limbo we're stuck in. they're both very good but they also both have significant limitations that make it hard for me to believe we can win a super bowl with them. but with a coach it's even more difficult because you can't just draft a new one lol. 

it's frustrating. the grass is almost certainly not greener on the other side, that's for sure. vrabel does too much too well to entertain the idea of moving on. but it's borderline inconceivable to me that this offensive philosophy could ever bring a lombardi to nashville. we've seen three straight playoff exits following the exact same pattern: the offense just couldn't keep up. now, that's all tied up in the tannehill question, no doubt. but when we're throwing to NWI with the game on the line against the bengals, kalif raymond with the game on the line against the ravens, cody hollister and geoff swaim in crucial situations this week....what am i supposed to believe in, here?

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

the situation we're in with vrabel is almost analogous to our situation with tannehill. it's obviously not a 1:1 comparison down to every detail, and you can't just compare a player and coach...but man, it's beginning to feel like the same kind of limbo we're stuck in. they're both very good but they also both have significant limitations that make it hard for me to believe we can win a super bowl with them. but with a coach it's even more difficult because you can't just draft a new one lol. 

it's frustrating. the grass is almost certainly not greener on the other side, that's for sure. vrabel does too much too well to entertain the idea of moving on. but it's borderline inconceivable to me that this offensive philosophy could ever bring a lombardi to nashville. we've seen three straight playoff exits following the exact same pattern: the offense just couldn't keep up. now, that's all tied up in the tannehill question, no doubt. but when we're throwing to NWI with the game on the line against the bengals, kalif raymond with the game on the line against the ravens, cody hollister and geoff swaim in crucial situations this week....what am i supposed to believe in, here?

I don't disagree with what you're saying about how limiting our offensive philosophy is, I just think Vrabel is a genius as a head coach. That's just my personal opinion...I think he's THE guy. All the eggs he lays against bad teams should cloud my judgement more than it does, I just think that...all things even...he's as good of a HC as anyone. 

But to your point...no way we win a SB with this type of offense, Tanny aside. I am inclined to believe that you could give us the Greatest Show on Turf offense and we'd find a way to turn a ferrari into a honda civic.

Ultimately, Vrabel needs to hand over the offense to an adult. That will be the most important change he has to make as HC. Otherwise, maybe he is indeed digging his own grave.

I can't help but think that JRob has a role in all of this, though. He's indulging Vrabel's wants/asks from a personnel perspective, no?

Those intentional defensive holds at the end of the game by the giants so we couldnt make much of the little time left.

This giants coach knows how to cheat legally within the confines of the rules. Watch him closely this year. Im convinced that he's going to steal several games that he shouldn't win.