Week 1 GDT: Giants @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

6 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

If I’m reading this correctly we passed on 1st down 38% of the time in 2019, 35% in 2020, and 39% in 2021. 

So…no adjustments as we went from peak Henry to no Henry to yesterday Henry? That’s good.

Even last year, a down year statistically for Tannehill, we were above league average in first down passing success rate and below average in first down rushing success rate. So naturally we come out with months to prepare a gameplan and fully double-down on it.

This what makes me sick at some point when is he going to understand situational football. Look I get it, Henry isn’t the #1 option here, but this is what separates the bad 1’s from the good 1’s the good 1’s from the greats. Or should click in Tannehill head pre snap, okay if my #1 option not open where are my mismatches or who do I like that I feel can make a play, from the jump he should be thinking I’ll take Derrick in the flat or check N see if he’s left uncovered we might have some, because for some reason He ry doesn’t strike fear as a pass catcher to defenses we might have a give me. Attention to detail the small things. He was late with the throw it was wide open easy 7

18 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

So Smith did run it nearly as much under Vrabel as Downing, which is depressing knowing that Vrabel will never change it.

Smith with the Falcons last year was closer to middle of the pack with 47% passing on first down.

So it's both Vrabel and Downing to blame.

As I watched the Falcons yesterday, it really drove home how much of this stems from Vrabel. He had Mariota running essentially a college-style offense, after nearly a decade in the league, he randomly unlocked how to use Cordarrelle Patterson. 

Admittedly, it worked here, and we obviously miss having an OC with some level of game feel, but the complete lack of offensive flexibility has to be a Vrabel thing. 

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Again, given the success it's had, you're not going to see change. You don't fix what isn't broke.

If the offense struggles this year, then you'll see change. He's shown he's willing to change his defense. He'll do the same with offense if it ends up needing it.

I agree with this, to a point. The bullishness of Vrabs with guys like Swaim just absolutely makes no sense. You want to run the ball a ton on first down? That’s not what I have a problem with. I just don’t get why our big time players aren’t out there getting reps and bums like Swaim are. 

People aren’t getting on Henry enough either. Dude was absolute **** yesterday. Ran soft and lacked vision. 

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

One more thought...

It's one game. Sucks but one game. 

The real suck part is that it's the same problems from last year with some new ones like the run defense. 

So what will change over the next couple weeks?

10-7....9-8 record?

Might be a bit of an overreaction Monday, but I honestly think we refuse to change and end the season 8-9

And I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. But it shouldn't be a big ask to request that either Burks, Phillips, or Woods are on the field at all times.  Add NWI and Hooper and at least 2 of the 5 should always be on the field. 

Preferably Burks and Woods/Phillips shouldn't come off the field unless tired. 

31 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

And I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. But it shouldn't be a big ask to request that either Burks, Phillips, or Woods are on the field at all times.  Add NWI and Hooper and at least 2 of the 5 should always be on the field. 

Preferably Burks and Woods/Phillips shouldn't come off the field unless tired. 

Someone should do a study on how many teams have zero of their top three WRs on the field any given play 

I assure you we would far and away be the top