2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

On 4/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, 49ersfan said:

Just me or has the hype for this draft just not there? 

Not even speaking 49ers related....seems like there isn't as much intrigue with who the Panthers #1 pick could be, or where Jalen Carter could fall, etc 

Draft is in like 2 weeks but its still been kind of dead

I have some friends that are Bears fans that are pretty jazzed about it. I think it is a niners thing personally. The only thing this draft is really lacking as far as fireworks wise is some top end WRs (though there are good ones).

13 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I have some friends that are Bears fans that are pretty jazzed about it. I think it is a niners thing personally. The only thing this draft is really lacking as far as fireworks wise is some top end WRs (though there are good ones).

Ehh its not a good top end draft at all.

12 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Ehh its not a good top end draft at all.

Every draft isn't the exact same to different teams. This is a decent/good QB draft for instance. I can understand why the Bills wouldn't be interested in those players though, if they wanted to move on from Josh Allen my fantasy team would be very sad.

A guy I could see as a very good fit for us that isn’t getting talked about a lot on this board is Kayshon Boutte. His stock isn’t great right now due to a down junior season and a less than exciting combine, but he’d fit right in with the YAC bros. He may still not make it to our pick, but would be a great fit, especially with Purdy behind center.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GW21 said:

A guy I could see as a very good fit for us that isn’t getting talked about a lot on this board is Kayshon Boutte. His stock isn’t great right now due to a down junior season and a less than exciting combine, but he’d fit right in with the YAC bros. He may still not make it to our pick, but would be a great fit, especially with Purdy behind center.

He is someone who I think would firmly root himself in the famous shanny doghouse and I am not sure if he the character to meet the demands that shanny will put on him.  I am an LSU fan having lived in Louisiana for near 15 years now, I normally try to sell everyone one from LSU on here I would just give Boutte a 80% chance of failure on our team and that has nothing to do with his talent.

If he is able to put his pride aside and decide to learn there would not be a better matchup.  Maybe Deebo and Ayuik could take him under wing but there are serious concerns there.  Shanny just puts so much on the WRs and Boutte has should to have trouble when challenged by a change of scenery.  

• Like 2

lol ok. Maybe it's just me, but there is no way in hell I'd take Levis over Stroud. I'm still kind of shocked to hear all the talk that the Texans won't take him at two if available, but at least they have an excuse having the best player in the draft sitting there at 2 (Will Anderson). 

According to an AFC scout, the Colts, who own the fourth overall pick, "want" former Kentucky quarterback Will Levis, per ESPN's Matt Miller. However, the situation will become more complicated if Stroud is still available at No. 4.

"The question is, do they love him more than Stroud? I think they do, but that's a bold move," one scout said.

Another scout added: "The Colts would probably love for someone to jump them and select Stroud so they can take Levis."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073239-nfl-draft-2023-rumors-colts-want-will-levis-but-complicated-if-cj-stroud-falls

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

lol ok. Maybe it's just me, but there is no way in hell I'd take Levis over Stroud. I'm still kind of shocked to hear all the talk that the Texans won't take him at two if available, but at least they have an excuse having the best player in the draft sitting there at 2 (Will Anderson). 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10073239-nfl-draft-2023-rumors-colts-want-will-levis-but-complicated-if-cj-stroud-falls

Stroud scoring an 18% on his S2 won't help. 

I don't get Levis over Stroud, but I said it during the national championship game when Stroud was ripping up Georgia that some GMs were still going to have levis higher. That's really emphasizing the 2021 tape for Levis, but it was also always going to be likely that some GMs really loved Levis' demeanor. 

I do buy that the Texans may not draft a qb at 2. I have scenarios where to me that makes sense (mainly, if Ryans has the final say, I can totally buy this). 

It has nothing to do with this current selection, but I will say that recent history does kind of support passing on QB at 2 in favor of the premier defensive line prospect. It's kind of a funny quirk (albeit wholly arbitrary in how specific it is). QBs taken #2 since 2010: 

• Carson Wentz
  • Zach Wilson
  • Marcus Mariota
  • RG3
  • Trubisky

Defensive line taken #2 since 2010: 

• Suh
  • Bosa
  • Von Miller
  • Chase Young
  • Aiden Hutchinson

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Stroud scoring an 18% on his S2 won't help. 

I don't get Levis over Stroud, but I said it during the national championship game when Stroud was ripping up Georgia that some GMs were still going to have levis higher. That's really emphasizing the 2021 tape for Levis, but it was also always going to be likely that some GMs really loved Levis' demeanor. 

I do buy that the Texans may not draft a qb at 2. I have scenarios where to me that makes sense (mainly, if Ryans has the final say, I can totally buy this). 

It has nothing to do with this current selection, but I will say that recent history does kind of support passing on QB at 2 in favor of the premier defensive line prospect. It's kind of a funny quirk (albeit wholly arbitrary in how specific it is). QBs taken #2 since 2010: 

• Carson Wentz
  • Zach Wilson
  • Marcus Mariota
  • RG3
  • Trubisky

Defensive line taken #2 since 2010: 

• Suh
  • Bosa
  • Von Miller
  • Chase Young
  • Aiden Hutchinson

Yeah, I wouldn't trash them for taking Will Anderson as I feel he is the best player in the draft. I do like Stroud a lot more than I like Levis though, so the chatter that they'd have to make a decision there is....idk, it would not be a decision for me at that point. 

I just read through Dane Bruglar's "The Beast" draft guide on The Athletic while having Steph's visit spreadsheet open on another monitor. 

Some guys I think we're going to draft:

• Davis Allen, TE
  • Cameron Latu, TE
  • Brenton Strange, TE
  • Josh Whyle, TE
  • Braeden Daniels, OL
  • YaYa Diaby, EDGE
  • Marte Mapu, LB
  • Darrell Luter, CB
  • Ji'Ayir Brown, S

This is just more of a feeling thing from the level of interest the 49ers have in these guys as well as reading scouting reports on them from multiple sources. They just feel like they'd fit with the team's schemes and they're all within our strike zone of the 3rd to 6th round. 

I know we've historically drafted guys we brought in on visits, but I do remember reading somewhere this offseason that they specifically didn't bring in Brock last year because they didn't want other teams to know they were interested. We could be learning how this game is played. 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, 49ersfan said:

Just me or has the hype for this draft just not there? 

Not even speaking 49ers related....seems like there isn't as much intrigue with who the Panthers #1 pick could be, or where Jalen Carter could fall, etc 

Draft is in like 2 weeks but its still been kind of dead

I sense a direct correlation between draft enthusiasm and draft capital.

33 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I know we've historically drafted guys we brought in on visits, but I do remember reading somewhere this offseason that they specifically didn't bring in Brock last year because they didn't want other teams to know they were interested. We could be learning how this game is played. 

I just looked back at the pre-draft official 30 visits since 2017 to see how many we've drafted. Here's the breakdown:

• 2017: 3 (Kittle, Foster, and Witherspoon)
  • 2018: 2 (Warner and Pettis)
  • 2019: 4 (Bosa, Deebo, Hurd, and Tim Harris)
  • 2020: 0 
  • 2021: 3 (Lance, Lenoir, and Sermon)
  • 2022: 5 (Jackson, Burford, Davis, TDP, and Gray)

It seems like we take a couple of guys we meet with each year with the exception of 2020. Could be the gamesmanship you're talking about with 2020. We traded back into the 1st to grab Aiyuk without even meeting him and same goes for Kinlaw. 

It's kind of hard to find a pattern between the years with the exception that we seem to meet with every guy we take in the 3rd round and we've only drafted one guy in the second that we did not meet with (Banks). We've drafted 7 guys in the 1st round but only met with 2 of them. 

Looking at the 2022 draft class, we met with 5 of the 9 guys we drafted and didn't have a pick in the top 50. With this year being similar, maybe we go the same route?

Edited by NinerNation21

33 minutes ago, GW21 said:

it's mainly just a guide. We don't draft only guys that we bring in, but guys with top 30 visits I would put more emphasis on. I think last year was the most we had ever drafted from out top 30 visits