Random Thoughts- Reg season edition

dll2000

does anyone read Dan Pompei's stuff? i know he's a respected writer, but all of his stuff comes off as "stuck in the past," "old man yells at cloud," or "the old bears would never do that"

here's some quotes from his most recent game breakdown:

"The Bears helped make Tony Pollard look like Tony Dorsett. Pollard — a backup running back — gained at least 14 yards or scored a touchdown on 43 percent of his runs" - while we can all agree that the D played terrible, it's his "backup running back" comment that gets me. Everybody and their mother can see pollard is the best rb on the cowboys, who care's if he's a "backup"

"The Bears’ rushing numbers are spectacular. They are on track to rush for 3,202 yards, the second-most yards in NFL history (the last two seasons have had more games than any previous season). They would be on track to rush for more yards than any team in Bears history even if this were a 16-game season, breaking the 1985 Bears’ record of 2,761 yards. But the 2022 Bears’ rushing numbers are skewed by Fields’ incredible running skills. Without Fields’ projected 901 rushing yards, the Bears would have the 42nd-most productive running game in history and the third best in team history." - but that's the thing, you can't just remove field's as a weapon in the running game, because that's part of what makes our running game so good. it'd be like saying "remove any josh allen completion that goes more than 25 yards downfield because it skews the passing numbers, and if you remove them their passing game doesn't look as good"

"The irony of Fields’ hop over Micah Parsons: there might not be a better-suited player on the Bears offense to tackle an opponent after a turnover than Fields." what?

"What the Bears accomplished offensively was a little misleading, given they were chasing 14 points before they ran their fourth play." but they still put up the most points against the cowboys all season, a team who is top 3 in the league in defense. and most of the 4th quarter it seemed like we took our foot off the brakes and weren't exactly chasing towards the end

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

does anyone read Dan Pompei's stuff? i know he's a respected writer, but all of his stuff comes off as "stuck in the past," "old man yells at cloud," or "the old bears would never do that"

"The Bears helped make Tony Pollard look like Tony Dorsett. Pollard — a backup running back — gained at least 14 yards or scored a touchdown on 43 percent of his runs" - while we can all agree that the D played terrible, it's his "backup running back" comment that gets me. Everybody and their mother can see pollard is the best rb on the cowboys, who care's if he's a "backup"

"The Bears’ rushing numbers are spectacular. They are on track to rush for 3,202 yards, the second-most yards in NFL history (the last two seasons have had more games than any previous season). They would be on track to rush for more yards than any team in Bears history even if this were a 16-game season, breaking the 1985 Bears’ record of 2,761 yards. But the 2022 Bears’ rushing numbers are skewed by Fields’ incredible running skills. Without Fields’ projected 901 rushing yards, the Bears would have the 42nd-most productive running game in history and the third best in team history." - but that's the thing, you can't just remove field's as a weapon in the running game, because that's part of what makes our running game so good. it'd be like saying "remove any josh allen completion that goes more than 25 yards downfield because it skews the passing numbers, and if you remove them their passing game doesn't look as good"

"The irony of Fields’ hop over Micah Parsons: there might not be a better-suited player on the Bears offense to tackle an opponent after a turnover than Fields." what?

"What the Bears accomplished offensively was a little misleading, given they were chasing 14 points before they ran their fourth play." but they still put up the most points against the cowboys all season, a team who is top 3 in the league in defense. and most of the 4th quarter it seemed like we took our foot off the brakes and weren't exactly chasing towards the end

No because he has turned to s***. I remember reading his stuff last right around 2009 when they traded for Cutler. Since then he's been a nightmare.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

KC's 5th WR and our star offensive FA?

remember when we cut mike davis halfway through the year after we signed him as a FA and it had a positive impact on our comp pick formula. 

anyways, would love to do that with pringle, especially with the addition of claypool

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

remember when we cut mike davis halfway through the year after we signed him as a FA and it had a positive impact on our comp pick formula. 

anyways, would love to do that with pringle, especially with the addition of claypool

Do we know whether cutting him (or anyone else for that matter) would have a similar impact? 

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Pompei has very much turned into a wet blanket. Everything the Bears do that goes well is spun with a grain of salt, and everything they do that goes poorly gets some diatribe about incompetence or incomprehendability. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Do we know whether cutting him (or anyone else for that matter) would have a similar impact? 

i've been trying to find the "in-season" deadline, but the internet only tells me the offseason one. but he has to be on the roster on the signed contract after the certain date in order for the CFA singing to comp for the formula.

that's why we cut davis when we did, it was a couple days before the deadline and he had like, 14 carries up to that point, and the formula adjusted to get us a 4th (which we traded for foles). HaHa CD also signed a contract that counted for us, but was cut prior to the season, so it was removed from the formula. 

i also can't remember (i tried to look it up but couldnt understand it haha) if removing pringle would give us our highest expected comp (3rd for robinson) or the highest pick in the expected round (7th). either way, it'd be an extra pick, but if it was the former, then moving a 2nd for claypool then cutting pringle for that 3rd (if that is how it worked) would be big and a good way for poles to remedy his mistake. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I thought al that mattered at this point was the Snap% part of the Compensatory formula? And honors as well, but that obviously doesn't apply here.

So the "cutting" of a guy like Pringle (or Davis in the past) really only eliminates more of the Snap% that he could accrue?

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I thought al that mattered at this point was the Snap% part of the Compensatory formula? And honors as well, but that obviously doesn't apply here.

So the "cutting" of a guy like Pringle (or Davis in the past) really only eliminates more of the Snap% that he could accrue?

CFA is based on the AAV of the new contract, not snap %. otherwise a guy could be signed for $20M/year, end up on IR all year, have a 0% snap share, and not count towards the formula. additionally, it doesn't matter if a guy signs a 2/$20 deal and gets paid $1M year 1 and $19M year 2, since it's the average of the total contract

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Jenkins is one of best guards in league right now.  You don't see many other guys doing this. 

He just is.   We had this guy on bench in preseason and splitting time in season until recently.

I think we were all pretty chill w him being on trade block at the beginning of the season and getting whatever we could back. Glad that didn’t come to be. He’s been pleasant to have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

CFA is based on the AAV of the new contract, not snap %. otherwise a guy could be signed for $20M/year, end up on IR all year, have a 0% snap share, and not count towards the formula. additionally, it doesn't matter if a guy signs a 2/$20 deal and gets paid $1M year 1 and $19M year 2, since it's the average of the total contract

Not sure what the deadline for "qualifying" CFAs, but the Bears can gain a 3rd by cutting Pringle. They can also gain a 5th by cutting AQM, Patrick, Jones, or Morrow.

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I think we were all pretty chill w him being on trade block at the beginning of the season and getting whatever we could back. Glad that didn’t come to be. He’s been pleasant to have. 

Not me. I would have been pissed. Not that it would have made a difference. If he doesn't have a spot in your scheme... then your scheme is ****. Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

AAV is only part of the equation. As is playing time and post season honors. 

So Roquan left town, taking Saint Omni with him, but the dark mysterious stranger Armstrong has risen from the ashes. Should he and Manti Teo’s girlfriend join forces, this flat planet’s tectonic plates will smash together creating an infinite summer of impossible heat, death, and ruin. 

• Like 1