What should Dallas do at QB?

Dallas94Ware

What should Dallas do at QB?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dallas...

• Ride out the storm with Rush/DiNucci until Dak returns?
    • Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?
    • Trade for another player (put name in post below)?
    • Garrett Gilbert was not all that bad..is he still available?
    • Put Dak on permanant IR and bank on a top draft choice?
    • Sign available free agent/practice squad player (name below)

QB isn’t Patrick Mahomes level good/ all time great looking? TIME TO MOVE ON. 
Or maybe you just roll with the good QB you have and realize that realistically the odds of getting to the SB are quite slim for the VAST majority of teams good QB or not. So at least give yourself your best shot with the good player you already have. 

It’s amusing that people don’t have the same negative energy for other players. By the same metrics we would be calling a QB like Justin Herbert a total failure. Not to mention Josh Allen who hasn’t progressed farther in the playoffs than Dak while having significant turnovers of his own while playing a terrible game and losing by 3 scores to the Bengals in the divisional last week.

Fans of this sport are irrational and delusional. It’s even worse when discussing players that have a star on the side of their helmet.

Edited by NoFlyZone

21 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Or maybe you just roll with the good QB you have and realize that realistically the odds of getting to the SB are quite slim for the VAST majority of teams good QB or not. So at least give yourself your best shot with the good player you already have. 

It’s amusing that people don’t have the same negative energy for other players. By the same metrics we would be calling a QB like Justin Herbert a total failure. Not to mention Josh Allen who hasn’t progressed farther in the playoffs than Dak while having significant turnovers of his own while playing a terrible game and losing by 3 scores to the Bengals in the divisional last week.

Fans of this sport are irrational and delusional. It’s even worse when discussing players that have a star on the side of their helmet.

His Cap hit is higher than Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert. We aren’t just paying him like he is as good. We are paying him like he’s better. That was a mistake, and a small group of us here knew it was going to be a mistake, while the vast majority here loved it. We were told his deal would look bad at first but would be more in line with his worth in a few years.

It just keeps looking worse. Dak at $25M a year wouldn’t be so bad. We won’t be able to do that without a restructure that passes the buck to a later time. Dak, at some point in the near future, will be off this team and still hitting our Cap for tens of thousands of dollars. 

• Like 1

I think we are stuck with Dak for 2 years because he has a no trade clause.   I will be seriously pissed if extend him or restructure him etc.  

I am 100% convinced that the only way to win with Dak is to have a strong running game and defense.  now, his salary prevents are real help via FA.  And, we have several FAs who are due to to cash in this year.  My recommendation would be to let them all walk (unless they make team friendly deals like LVE did last year) and trust Will McClay to draft their replacements.  This would also put us in line for some high comp picks next year.  Wilson, Schultz, pollard, and LVE could all fetch 4th rounders give or take.

RBs are fairly easy to find in the draft.  We really need corner help.  I think we take a flier on back up QB and try to groom them for 2 years.  Then, in 2 years when the Dak cluster eff is over, we will have cap space and lots of young players from draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Dak needs another reliable WR.

And a better RB, a better OLine, a better kicker, and head coach, with a more dominant defense. Maybe we can use all that cap space we have…

Thats the problem with the “Dak needs more help” argument. We paid him like he doesn’t need help.

Who are Patrick Mahomes WRs? Not better than ours.  Is Deebo better than Lamb?  Herbert didn’t even have a 1000 yard WR, he was throwing to some guy named Josh Palmer all year. Josh Allen had one, 1k WR just like us. Did Aaron Rodgers have a better corp than ours? Dak needs help no doubt but he isn’t overly deprived of help compared to other teams, and we can’t afford help anyway without restructuring him into oblivion. That’s exactly what I expect to happen. 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

If I'm Dallas' GM I want to have some choice to make at the QB position when Daks contract is up vs having all of my eggs in Dak's basket.  Dak will in all likelihood want a richer annual salary than he is currently making.  Choice gives me leverage.  What is wrong with that?  In my view that's nothing personal.  It's business 

13 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I think we are stuck with Dak for 2 years because he has a no trade clause.   I will be seriously pissed if extend him or restructure him etc.  

I am 100% convinced that the only way to win with Dak is to have a strong running game and defense.  now, his salary prevents are real help via FA.  And, we have several FAs who are due to to cash in this year.  My recommendation would be to let them all walk (unless they make team friendly deals like LVE did last year) and trust Will McClay to draft their replacements.  This would also put us in line for some high comp picks next year.  Wilson, Schultz, pollard, and LVE could all fetch 4th rounders give or take.

RBs are fairly easy to find in the draft.  We really need corner help.  I think we take a flier on back up QB and try to groom them for 2 years.  Then, in 2 years when the Dak cluster eff is over, we will have cap space and lots of young players from draft.

Slam re the running game.  I said the same thing to my son last night as we were walking our dog.   We were discussing next year for Dallas and I said the best thing for Dak is a strong running game.  We went on to conclude our talk about how good it is that Quinn is coming back and we might as well give him some more pieces to work with which ties into a strong defense helping Dak as well.

Now to get controversial. I am not saying this will happen nor am I saying Dallas should pull the trigger if it does.  Bijan Robinson may slide to Dallas at 26.  He is probably rated in the top 10 or top 15 prospects based on ability.  He would represent value.  I know there are a lot of people who say don't draft a RB in round one.  They are a dime a dozen.  He will fill a huge need assuming Zeke is gone.  You shouldn't draft a player because you don't want your competition to get him, but if Robinson slides to the bottom of round one, there is a very real possibility that the Eagles will grab him.  That would be a nightmare.

Evaluate the board.  Will a CB or WR be there who represents better value than Robinson?  Will a CB or WR have greater impact on the team and Dak than a player like Robinson?  Things to think about.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Do those QBs have WRs that quit on routes or let the ball rebound off body parts? 

lol Absolutely they do. Yes, sir. In fact, every QB does. 

Gabe Davis(Bills) is tied with Jamar Chase(Bengals) and Zay Jones(Jaguars) for the lead league in drops.

Stephon Diggs(Bills) is tied with Christian Kirk(Jaguars), Marquez Valdez-Scantling(Chiefs), and Allen Lazard(Packers) with 1 less drop on the season. 

Tyreek Hill, Jaylon Waddle, Brandon Ayuik, Mike Evans, DK Metcalf, George Pickens, Brandin Cooks, Darius Slayton, and our guy Dalton Schultz are tied with one less drop after them. 

I’m sorry but Dak is surrounded by just as much or more talent then anyone in the league. I don’t see how you can think Lamb, Gallup, TY Hilton, and Schultz are worse than Allen Lazard, and Christian Watson. Or JuJu and Valdez Scantling. Diggs and Gabe Davis lead the league in drops as a duo. 

Most teams have one bonafide stud. Chiefs have Kelce, Bills have Diggs, Chargers have Mike Williams sometimes, Bengals have Chase. Packers may have Watson. Maybe. 49ers have Kittle. Deebo had 600 receiving yards this year. We have CD Lamb. Then theres filler guys like Schultz, Gallup, TY Hilton, Allen Lazard, Tee Higgins, Gabe Davis, Brandon Ayuik, JuJu etc…

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

1 hour ago, Northland said:

If I'm Dallas' GM I want to have some choice to make at the QB position when Daks contract is up vs having all of my eggs in Dak's basket.  Dak will in all likelihood want a richer annual salary than he is currently making.  Choice gives me leverage.  What is wrong with that?  In my view that's nothing personal.  It's business 

That’s why you make the business decision to cut the cord, knowing that it’s short term pain for long term gain. Mucking with Dak’s contract with restructures does nothing but prolong the misery.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Do those QBs have WRs that quit on routes or let the ball rebound off body parts? 

Does Dak have the ability to throw his recievers open, rather than waiting for them to get open? Does Dak have the accuracy to throw into windows where if/when it bounces off of the receiver that it’ll hit the ground rather than be picked off? Does Dak understand coverages well enough not to throw the ball into clear double and triple coverage?

You don’t pay a guy who’s incapable of such things $40M a year.

5 hours ago, TVScout said:

Do you see that perfect ball by Mahomes dropped by Toney? It happens to ALL QBs. 

Edited by DaBoys

22 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Do you see that perfect ball by Mahomes dropped by Toney? It happens to ALL QBs. 

No, no. It only happens to poor, poor Dak. Don’t you understand?!? The receivers, o-line, RBs, defense, and special teams are the problem. Not Dak and his perfect passes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

No, no. It only happens to poor, poor Dak. Don’t you understand?!? The receivers, o-line, RBs, defense, and special teams are the problem. Not Dak and his perfect passes.

Did we just see Hurst drop a beautiful dime from Burrow? It’s not about WRs dropping balls or giving up on routes. All QBs deal with that. What are they doing outside of that? Dak isn’t doing enough. 

• Like 1