What should Dallas do at QB?

Dallas94Ware

What should Dallas do at QB?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dallas...

• Ride out the storm with Rush/DiNucci until Dak returns?
    • Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?
    • Trade for another player (put name in post below)?
    • Garrett Gilbert was not all that bad..is he still available?
    • Put Dak on permanant IR and bank on a top draft choice?
    • Sign available free agent/practice squad player (name below)

On 1/9/2023 at 3:55 PM, DaBoys said:

After this season, he’ll still be owed $65,000,000, but he notably has the choice to opt out of his deal one year early following the 2023 season, at which point he’ll still be just 30 years old.

https://boardroom.tv/dak-prescott-contract-salary-cowboys/

2022 was year 2 on a 4 year deal, but HE has the option to get out of his contract at the end of next year. Presumably so he can renegotiate if he balls out, but I think a prudent FO would be wise to treat Dak as if 2023 is his last year. 

Or at least realize they need to start building some leverage. 

Have you seen this reported anywhere besides boardroom.tv?

I tried hard to find anything else about this on google and twitter, but can’t find any other info to back it up. Spotrac has nothing about this in their contract notes: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

I’m beginning to think boardroom.tv misinterpreted the “potential out” notice from Spotrac. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Dak has this opt out after next season. 

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Have you seen this reported anywhere besides boardroom.tv?

I tried hard to find anything else about this on google and twitter, but can’t find any other info to back it up. Spotrac has nothing about this in their contract notes: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

I’m beginning to think boardroom.tv misinterpreted the “potential out” notice from Spotrac. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Dak has this opt out after next season. 

I have not. I hope it’s not true. As much as I believe Dak is QB purgatory I really don’t want him back at the negotiating table next year. 

8 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I have not. I hope it’s not true. As much as I believe Dak is QB purgatory I really don’t want him back at the negotiating table next year. 

At this point in my research, I think either boardroom.tv pulled off some really impressive investigative journalism around one of the most discussed contracts in history that no one in Cowboys or NFL media could, or it’s an error. I lean strongly towards the latter.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

“Interceptions are the only thing keeping Dak from playing lights out football.” 

At least we can agree that he is in fact not playing lights out football. 

Interceptions aside, he threw for 128 yards, 37%cmpl, and a 45 passer rating against Washington. 

Interceptions aside, he threw for 284 yards, 61%cmpl, and a 70 passer rating against the Texans.

interceptions aside, he threw for only 170 yards, and 66%cmpl, against the Colts.

interceptions aside, he had 134 passing yards, 48%cmpl, and a 47 passer rating against the same defense we are playing Monday. 

The league average passer rating this year is 92. Dak has had a below average passer rating in 4 of the last 7 games. 

The league average cmpl% this year is about 65%. Dak was either below average or average in 3 of the last 6 games.

Dak ranks 17th in passer rating, 12th in QBR, 14th in completion%, 12th in yards per game, 14th in yards per pass, 16th in ANY/A(one of the best stats to judge a QB with) 

Oh and he also leads the league in interceptions.

Dak is literally Just A Guy. The absolute definition of QB purgatory. He’s good enough to keep you from drafting in the top 10 but not good enough to lead you deep in the playoffs. 

The fact that people are still arguing that Dak in an ELITE QB is absolutely mind numbing. 

Edited by DaBoys

1 hour ago, D82 said:

This has got to be a joke. “If you exclude plays with turnovers, from week 7, Dak is…” lol

Did they exclude plays with turnovers for ALL QBs!? Or did they just remove all of Daks turnovers and then pit him up against everyone to get him to the top of the list? 

“Despite a career resume that suggests a placement closer to the top five, Dak Prescott comes in 11th out of 14 in this power ranking of postseason passers. That’s mostly due to his boom-or-bust play since returning in late October and lack of a defining big-game win. He’s ahead of Skylar Thompson, Geno Smith, and Daniel Jones… but below Kirk Cousins, Trevor Lawrence, and Brock Purdy.“

3 hours ago, 5x10 said:

p6SbCio.jpg

I truly don’t understand how people cherry pick to such an extreme degree against their own team and pass it off as some sort of rational take. We should know better than that. I don’t care what happened in one game back in week one. 

• Like 1

The fun thing is that we’re all pretty quiet when Dak plays well, but the second there’s an excuse everyone goes to town. When he shredded Philly for nearly 400 yards of total offense it seemed like few people even cared. Then he has one of worst games of his career in a meaningless game where his entire team decided not to show up and people will choose THAT performance as the one that is actually indicative of who Prescott is. There is so much cherry picking / picking and choosing what to care about while ignoring all context / reasoning while doing so.

Obviously the turnovers have been unprecedented for Dak… typically this has never been an issue for him going all the way back to 2016 (which is furthermore why it’s silly to claim turnovers are part of who he is). Many of the interceptions have not been his fault, while a handful of others have been. But that doesn’t paint the full picture.

For a QB that is supposedly average at best, it’s incredible that he somehow transformed his unit into the highest scoring in the league during his time back at QB after the injury. You people act like he was out there floundering while he was actually moving the chains at a very impressive rate and leading his offense to points time and again.

Its also convenient that Dak has never, ever gotten credit for being largely statistically good-great throughout the last several seasons of his career… but the second there’s a stat that supports an argument against him we suddenly really, reallllly care. It’s ridiculous, and the anti Dak bias is abundantly clear. 

If anything let’s hope the talent around him in terms of the receiving corps improves going forward. No one seems to care that he’s had Lamb to work with… and that’s pretty much it. You’d think that would be relevant.

Edited by NoFlyZone