What should Dallas do at QB?

Dallas94Ware

What should Dallas do at QB?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dallas...

• Ride out the storm with Rush/DiNucci until Dak returns?
    • Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?
    • Trade for another player (put name in post below)?
    • Garrett Gilbert was not all that bad..is he still available?
    • Put Dak on permanant IR and bank on a top draft choice?
    • Sign available free agent/practice squad player (name below)

8 minutes ago, 5x10 said:

Here I go cherry picking again 

where daks gonna play against a lot of the same coaching and player matchups as last year

https://i.imgur.com/mCpMScR.jpg 

Yes. That’s irrational. Do you really need me to tell you that? Come on. Again you can’t just make that incredibly loose connection while ignoring literally everything that has happened since then. It was an actual year ago in a totally different season. 

This upcoming matchup has far less to do with that match up from last year and far more to do with how the teams have performed this season. So, yes, if you’re going to just drop the box score and related basic stats from a game played a year ago while ignoring literally anything else that is actually relevant to this actual season that is absolutely cherry picking lol..

Edited by NoFlyZone

20 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Yes. That’s irrational. Do you really need me to tell you that? Come on. Again you can’t just make that incredibly loose connection while ignoring literally everything that has happened since then. It was an actual year ago in a totally different season. 

This upcoming matchup has far less to do with that match up from last year and far more to do with how the teams have performed this season. So, yes, if you’re going to just drop the box score and related basic stats from a game played a year ago while ignoring literally anything else that is actually relevant to this actual season that is absolutely cherry picking lol..

It’s irrational to cite the most recent game’s performance, against the same team 

lol

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I think Prescott is ~15th in the league, but I don’t have SB expectations. I thought Brady would beat us. I think that was a great performance and a good win. I expect us to come back to earth against the 49ers. 

Well I put him closer to 8.  And it is strange, how many people think the current SF QB is an overall better QB then Dak yet SF is considered the NFC favorite right now in media due to the worry about Hurts.  Another QB who I feel while having a better year then Dak this year is not necessarily a overall better QB

on another note to the cherry pic.  It is okay to discuss how Dak does against TB or SF based on semi recent games against those teams.  Then difference is to understand perspective.  Dak TB game 1 and playoff games had a ton of things to consider.  1 players around him were totally different TE’s to WR’s as well as OL.  Like it or not Dak also played zero preseason. These are things to consider when comparing match ups.  Same thing for the SF game.  Last year our OL was a mess at the end of the year compared to what we have now.  Though the Peters injury is a huge concern.  We also are tons better at the skilled possession. Last year while Coop had i his moments he also was very inconsistent IMO and actually sucked at times.  Lamb was good but had little confidence.   That was basically it.  Sure Schultz and Pollard played but they were not the weapons that they are now.  Let alone we now also have Ferguson Gallup and Hilton.  Thus last year SF could focus on stopping 1-2 receivers with the total domination of our OL.   One thing to consider also. REMEMBER it was a 1 score game and our D really played very poorly as well.  These are things to consider.  

I will discuss more my feelings in this Dak issue later let us just say I agree this was Daks best game of his career based on the situation.  But I have seen him play like this a TON of games in his career as most of you should admit to even if you think I am confused  and this thought that we should define Dak as a QB based on game 1 or 18 and last years playoff game is as bad as define Brady based on his last game and the playoff game he also lost to the Titans a few years ago when he was terrible as well    

A little tidbit I will add to close. What if Schultz didn’t actually catch that ball he juggled off his chest and it was intercepted?   Does that mean that Dak played any better or worse, just food for thought

Edited by quiller

16 hours ago, DaBoys said:

One thing to consider is last year v SF Tony Pollard only got 4 carries. That’s almost guaranteed to change this time around and I feel like he is a real difference maker.

It’s a fireable offense if he doesn’t.

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, quiller said:

Well I put him closer to 8.  And it is strange, how many people think the current SF QB is an overall better QB then Dak yet SF is considered the NFC favorite right now in media due to the worry about Hurts.  Another QB who I feel while having a better year then Dak this year is not necessarily a overall better QB

on another note to the cherry pic.  It is okay to discuss how Dak does against TB or SF based on semi recent games against those teams.  Then difference is to understand perspective.  Dak TB game 1 and playoff games had a ton of things to consider.  1 players around him were totally different TE’s to WR’s as well as OL.  Like it or not Dak also played zero preseason. These are things to consider when comparing match ups.  Same thing for the SF game.  Last year our OL was a mess at the end of the year compared to what we have now.  Though the Peters injury is a huge concern.  We also are tons better at the skilled possession. Last year while Coop had i his moments he also was very inconsistent IMO and actually sucked at times.  Lamb was good but had little confidence.   That was basically it.  Sure Schultz and Pollard played but they were not the weapons that they are now.  Let alone we now also have Ferguson Gallup and Hilton.  Thus last year SF could focus on stopping 1-2 receivers with the total domination of our OL.   One thing to consider also. REMEMBER it was a 1 score game and our D really played very poorly as well.  These are things to consider.  

I will discuss more my feelings in this Dak issue later let us just say I agree this was Daks best game of his career based on the situation.  But I have seen him play like this a TON of games in his career as most of you should admit to even if you think I am confused  and this thought that we should define Dak as a QB based on game 1 or 18 and last years playoff game is as bad as define Brady based on his last game and the playoff game he also lost to the Titans a few years ago when he was terrible as well    

A little tidbit I will add to close. What if Schultz didn’t actually catch that ball he juggled off his chest and it was intercepted?   Does that mean that Dak played any better or worse, just food for thought

for comparison purposes, Purdy isn't doing anything special that Dak didn't do his rookie year.

Edited by HDsportsfan

15 hours ago, 5x10 said:

It’s irrational to cite the most recent game’s performance, against the same team 

lol

In the way you’re trying to do it? Absolutely. It’s comically irrational that you’d cite evidence from literally a year ago and leave at that instead of taking into account the current state of the two football teams. It was just as illogical with your Tampa reasoning… and clearly that showed on Monday.. not sure if you watched or what. Think that alone showed why you don’t just cherry pick. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

I don’t agree with EVERYTHING this guy has to say… but still, some of it is food for thought. 

Honestly though, there isn’t actually a good argument for keeping Dak off of a top 10 QB list. There is a ton of goal post moving, recency bias, being a prisoner of the moment when evaluating his ability… but Dak is a good QB (and a great leader) and this team is not going to find someone better any time soon. Interceptions were a strange thing for him this season.. but that is something very new to his career dating back to 2016 — think there’s a decent chance it reverts to his average. 

He’s not Mahomes or even Burrow surrounded by a plethora of talent, but the guy is absolutely not ‘mediocre’ — he’s a good player and right now he gives this team its best chance moving forward. His game against the Niners doesn’t change that just as the Buffalo Bills shouldn’t look to move on from Josh Allen for his failures this past weekend (obviously).

Edited by NoFlyZone

6 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Honestly though, there isn’t actually a good argument for keeping Dak off of a top 10 QB list. There is a ton of goal post moving, recency bias, being a prisoner of the moment when evaluating his ability… but Dak is a good QB (and a great leader) and this team is not going to find someone better any time soon. Interceptions were a strange thing for him this season.. but that is something very new to his career dating back to 2016 — think there’s a decent chance it reverts to his average. 

He’s not Mahomes or even Burrow surrounded by a plethora of talent, but the guy is absolutely not ‘mediocre’ — he’s a good player and right now he gives this team its best chance moving forward. His game against the Niners doesn’t change that just as the Buffalo Bills shouldn’t look to move on from Josh Allen for his failures this past weekend (obviously).

Dak probably ranks around number 10, maybe a little bit lower, in my eyes. If you told me I could swap out Dak for any of the following guys, I likely would:

-Mahomes

-Burrow

-Allen

-Herbert

-Lawrence

-Tua

-Hurts

-Rodgers

-Goff

That's 9, putting Dak at #10. If you use the excuse that "This season was atypical, Dak normally doesn't play this poorly or throw as many picks" Then I feel like you have to apply that logic to Russel Wilson as well, putting Dak at #11. After that, there's a lot of QBs you can argue might have a spot over him. Geno Smith looked great most of the season, I personally don't like Lamar Jackson that much, but some would take him over Dak. Overall, I don't think it's clear cut where Dak stands, but if someone said he's mediocre I don't think it's too far off. 10-20 is different shades of average/mediocre in my eyes.

Now, I'm not one of those people that says to get rid of him. I think it's hard to make that argument after two back-to-back 12-5 campaigns. He's proven he's good enough to win, and a misstep away from that could launch our pretty talented team into a rebuild, which... I don't exactly trust our front office to pull off.

I'm good with Dak, but he's on thin ice. Next season is a bit of make-or-break for him in my eyes.