Week 2: NY Jets vs CLE Browns

Bobby816

Victory Monday Post after re-watching etc.

The Good:

1 - Garrett Wilson: He gets open on what feels like every single snap. Needs to stay focused and work on drops but man is he really really good. Player to build an offense around.

2 - Joe Flacco: we honestly moved the ball well all good. We had some really bad calls from the OL ruin some big gains. He was just solid all game and when it mattered most he threw some absolute dimes. Still this season is about finding out if Zach is our guy going forward. If he doesn't make a big step we will have a new starter in 2023 that wont hold back the rest of the team.

3- Max Mitchell: He's just been solid. He is a player to continue to develop. When Brown is healthy I would keep Max at RT and sit Fant.

4- Breece Hall: first TD and ran the ball pretty well. Needs more touches and to run with a little more power but hes going to a be a player for us too.

5- Brandan Mann: rebounded really well after a horrible week 1. Need way more consistency if he wants to be here though. 

The Bad:

1- Robert Saleh: the situational decision making is very very concerning. Lot of low football IQ decisions that should have cost us. The players play for him and he motivates like Herm did, but his defense has been horrendous since hes gotten here. Quite frankly this scheme sucks too and leaves us vulnerable against teams that can run the ball. Have yet to really see the strengths of this scheme. 

2- Defense: they played terrible all game. 5 incompletions from a back up QB. Couldn't stop the run with any consistancy although its improved since last year. No pass rush at all. Lawson got a sack but didn't exactly beat his man and honestly he's not been noticeable whatsoever. Quinnen Williams also didn't seem to be effective this game which once again goes back to his level of play being consistent. One week looks like a dominate DT and the next he doesn't make much of a difference. I think hes a good player but he has not once proved hes worth being selected #3 overall nor the money hes seeking. I dont feel bad for players selected top 5 who are looking for a new contract. Hes made almost $9m a year and has been above average at best. Im sure he'll dominate against CIN and then disappear against PIT and on and on we go. Need consistency. Saleh and Ulbrich also need to figure this thing out. This spot drop zone coverage sucks. One thing I will say...with the game still absolutely on the line, the D got a take-away. Credit Davis. That is a big time player. Joyner should never play another snap. Rotate Davis and Tony Adams. Get better athletes out there.

3- Fant: He just isn't that good. He has never been that good. Last year was the outlier. Do not re-sign him. We can do better. Keep Brown at LT when he is healthy. 

4- McGovern: Not his best game. Few ineligible receiver down field penalties (although kind of weak) that wiped out some chunk gains. Overall though he hasn't been bad. Just need to be better setting out screens. 

UP NEXT: vs. Bengals (0-2): we matchup very well in this game. Defensively though we have got to see the pass rush and better coverage from the S position. I would start Davis or Adams. On offense we have to stay balanced. Control the clock. Need more commitment to the running game and keep feeding Wilson. I hate playing desperate opponents, but at least this is a home game. I look for them to take huge shots down field if they present themselves and do anything to not start 0-3. This is a winnable game but it will not be easy at all. No more talk about this D and pass rush. Show up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Saleh: Biggest criticism of Saleh was that 3rd down late in the 4th - getting beat by a screen, again, on what looked to be the biggest play in the game. How are you not expecting that? He was out coached.

I don't think he was outcoached this game.  Saleh gets way too much blame for the play calling on D.  He does not call the plays.  The huge mistake by Stefanski not reminding the O to take a knee at the goal line is way more egregious than anything Saleh did.  And that sheer grit and belief can be attributed to Saleh.

If anyone wants to call out Saleh for his press conferences (getting old and stale) or his desire to run a zone D (probably more my issue), I am with you on that, but this game was a decent job by Saleh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Some Takeaways:

• Garret Wilson: Almost hard to believe we have a #1 WR in the making; Wilson looks the part. Incredibly smooth with his release, breaks, etc. 
  • Special Teams: Westhoff > Boyer.. the one coaching position we can't seem to screw up. The decision to go with Zuerlein proved to be a difference maker. Berrios/Mann were both great.
  • Flacco: Really happy for cool Joe. He got it done when it mattered, but I thought he struggled for most of the game. His stats over the first two week tell a completely different story than the one we've seen. 
  • Saleh: Biggest criticism of Saleh was that 3rd down late in the 4th - getting beat by a screen, again, on what looked to be the biggest play in the game. How are you not expecting that? He was out coached. That said, this isn't a game we win in years past. Attribute it to luck all you want, but there's something to be said about the sheer grit and belief needed to capitalize on said luck.
  • OL: We're just not there yet up front. Terrible? Not at all, but from the day JD took over, reviving the OL has been his priority. With Hall/Carter, and the weapons we have, this team will improve drastically if the OL can become the strength it was meant to be. 
  • DJ Reed / Whitehead: Both have been excellent. Reed more so, but Whitehead has been all over the field.
  • Other: Credit to Q/Lawson for coming up huge on that late sack. Dline was underwhelming otherwise. Would like to see Moore get going next week. Joyner is abysmal. 

Some of what jumped out to me most. Hope we see Zach next week, but unlikely.

Saleh is not coaching the defense, he is a CEO type HC not a  DC. Ulbrich is the DC, people need to start associating him with the defense because he is the one calling the plays and controlling the defense. We are used to having our HC be the DC, but Saleh wasn't hired to be that, he was hired to be a CEO.  

I really do hate these zone coverage defenses though, I miss Rex Ryan's defenses. Especially with the CBs we have. We were giving Brissett too much time to throw, he was getting all day and making simple dink and dunk throws. The Browns OL is elite though, I figured our defense would struggle to stop Chubb. 

Couple changes on defense I wish we could see. I rather see JFM at DT than DE,  he is made for DT not DE.  

Start Davis at FS over Joyner. Joyner doesn't do anything right, he is trash and misses tackles at will, plus he is only 5'8. Davis is young, 6'1 and he plays the center fielder position better. I feel like he has the ability to nab INTs over the middle. JMO.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Saleh is not coaching the defense, he is a CEO type HC not a  DC. Ulbrich is the DC, people need to start associating him with the defense because he is the one calling the plays and controlling the defense. We are used to having our HC be the DC, but Saleh wasn't hired to be that, he was hired to be a CEO.  

I really do hate these zone coverage defenses though, I miss Rex Ryan's defenses. Especially with the CBs we have. We were giving Brissett too much time to throw, he was getting all day and making simple dink and dunk throws. The Browns OL is elite though, I figured our defense would struggle to stop Chubb. 

Couple changes on defense I wish we could see. I rather see JFM at DT than DE,  he is made for DT not DE.  

Start Davis at FS over Joyner. Joyner doesn't do anything right, he is trash and misses tackles at will, plus he is only 5'8. Davis is young, 6'1 and he plays the center fielder position better. I feel like he has the ability to nab INTs over the middle. JMO.

Saleh absolutely has his hands on the D and its his scheme he brought here that has been getting mopped up every game. Maybe he hasnt called the plays and maybe he should then because that unit down right blows and has blown since he got here. Gregg Williams did a ton more with much less, not a good look. He does however get his guys to play for him. That is very important. If you can get a group to buy in, you're doing something right. The in game management has been horrible though. He does not strike me as the brightest HC we've ever had. Jury still out on him. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I don't think he was outcoached this game.  Saleh gets way too much blame for the play calling on D.  He does not call the plays.  The huge mistake by Stefanski not reminding the O to take a knee at the goal line is way more egregious than anything Saleh did.  And that sheer grit and belief can be attributed to Saleh.

If anyone wants to call out Saleh for his press conferences (getting old and stale) or his desire to run a zone D (probably more my issue), I am with you on that, but this game was a decent job by Saleh.

I can’t think of a single thing Saleh did this game that I can call decent. Defensively he gets the blame because it’s his defense Ulbrich implemented and he’s part of the game planning. I mean if we’re being consistent that is.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I can’t think of a single thing Saleh did this game that I can call decent. Defensively he gets the blame because it’s his defense Ulbrich implemented and he’s part of the game planning. I mean if we’re being consistent that is.

I agree. In game management and defensive scheme were al down right abysmal. I will however give him credit for keeping his guys hungry and playing 60 mins. Team is buying in and that is good. The coaching has to be better though. 

38 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

It's difficult to be a consistently good HC in this league. Just look at how much turn over there is. There's 3 coaches in the entire league who've been employed longer than a decade by the same team. I have my gripes with Saleh but I'm willing to let him learn on the fly and hopefully become a better head coach. I am admittedly a glass half full kinda guy, so things can always be worse. Imagine if we hired Nathaniel Hacket?

I personally dont get the Saleh hate, his coaching has improved as well as the offensive and defensive coaching throughout his tenure here ... yea the defense hasn't been lights out yet, but I thought they were solid against the ravens and did step up a couple times tonight as well ... 

For the most part they are a young group can just hope they improve with time .. and Saleh's defense did work before with the 49rs and I trust him to figure out how to make it work with our team as well.

1 hour ago, Mattmanz said:

It's difficult to be a consistently good HC in this league. Just look at how much turn over there is. There's 3 coaches in the entire league who've been employed longer than a decade by the same team. I have my gripes with Saleh but I'm willing to let him learn on the fly and hopefully become a better head coach. I am admittedly a glass half full kinda guy, so things can always be worse. Imagine if we hired Nathaniel Hacket?

Saleh can learn on the job but he has to improve nonetheless. When he does that, he’ll get the praise that comes with it. 

• Like 1

Unless we could hire someone like Sean Payton who can come in and be a great HC, Saleh is good for the Jets because he is a optimist. Things are very negative around the Jets and its a hard job to keep players focused on the next play and next game and not buying into same old Jets mentality.  Being the HC of the NY Jets is one of the most challenging jobs in football, you have to change a culture and that is extremely difficult to do. 

We can nit pick games, but overall I like that the Jets are developing young players and building a foundation. We haven't seen this in a long time. We were always that team that bought past their prime players, now we are developing our own stars. 

Garrett Wilson looks like a future star, his body movement is just so fluid and nice. He is a tough cover for anyone 1 v 1 . When teams start shifting focus onto him more they are gonna end up getting hurt by Moore.

I feel like that big game is coming soon for our RBs too, Breece always looks so close to breaking off a long TD run.  MC is so nasty at making guys miss and breaking tackles.  as the OL gets more in rhythm with the run blocking, its going to be fun to watch. 

Saleh confirmed yesterday that the Cooper TD was on Sauce. He was wrong in his coverage. So the "no TDs against me" streak is done now. A blown assignment in my eyes is the same as just poor coverage. One mental one physical. Luckily he's young and those mental mistakes should go away with time.

Somehow we’ve gotten really lucky with Mitchell he’s looked quite serviceable despite being a later round rookie … 

if the left side of our line would play like we expect it to … feel like our o line will be a lot better in a couple weeks … Fant has had a rough yea r

23 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

Somehow we’ve gotten really lucky with Mitchell he’s looked quite serviceable despite being a later round rookie … 

if the left side of our line would play like we expect it to … feel like our o line will be a lot better in a couple weeks … Fant has had a rough yea r

Agreed.  It does make me wonder if Fant's struggles are related to Tomlinson.  It could also just be the last minute position change.  I think Fant's play will improve.  Tomlinson has me a bit concerned as does McGovern.  IIRC, the OL started a bit slow last year and picked it up.  I really want to see what this O can do with 60 minutes of solid OL play.