Week 2: NY Jets vs CLE Browns

Bobby816

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I hope we wait until Flacco looks bad before we put Wilson out there. If Flacco is sitting at 10tds/3ints by the time Wilson is ready, you run the risk of killing the rhythm on offense and add more pressure on Wilson. If Flacco falls a part, then Wilson comes out without the pressure of performing as well as Flacco. 

Surprisingly I agree. Joe Flacco is 3rd in the league in passing yards (616) behind only Tua (739) and Carson Wentz (650).

Also remember the comment that G-Dub (I'm calling Garrett Wilson this from now on) in training camp about Flacco's touch vs Zach's? After today's game that holds a bit more merit. He likes catching passes from Flacco and that duo was a big reason why we won today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

Surprisingly I agree. Joe Flacco is 3rd in the league in passing yards (616) behind only Tua (739) and Carson Wentz (650).

Also remember the comment that G-Dub (I'm calling Garrett Wilson this from now on) in training camp about Flacco's touch vs Zach's? After today's game that holds a bit more merit. He likes catching passes from Flacco and that duo was a big reason why we won today.

It was pretty much the same thing for Moore last season. 

If Flacco performs badly and Wilson comes out, fans, players, and media won't feel like Flacco would have made a difference in the games we lose/Struggle going forward. Wilson comes out while Flacco looks good, the "Bust", media reporting locker room division, and "Flacco gives us the best chance of winning" talks will be all over. Then there will be pressure to bench him. 

Just let Flacco ball until he fall. This won't hurt Wilson's growth. 

I mean, Flacco played well in this game (and great late), but he was fairly crap against the Ravens. And Tua just lit them up. Let's not pretend we'd be benching Jimmy G or something. I don't thnk it's at that level. And we're not going to the playoffs this year. When Wilson's good to go, we should put him in.

We have a lot going for us on offense now. I want to see if Zach has progressed and can take advantage.

That said: if Flacco plays against the Bengals and plays well and we win that one too, then I wouldn't complain about keeping him in.

Edited by TheChad

13 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I mean, Flacco played well in this game (and great late), but he was fairly crap against the Ravens. And Tua just lit them up. Let's not pretend we'd be benching Jimmy G or something. I don't thnk it's at that level. And we're not going to the playoffs this year. When Wilson's good to go, we should put him in.

We have a lot going for us on offense now. I want to see if Zach has progressed and can take advantage.

That said: if Flacco plays against the Bengals and plays well and we win that one too, then I wouldn't complain about keeping him in.

Wilson is for sure the starter. So there's no QB battle. But I'd expect him after Flacco just had a great week to not be rushed back at all. So I think we at the earliest see him against PItt and maybe not even until MIA Week 5.

This season is about progressing and we saw Wilson, Hall, Carter, Moore, Mitchell, AVT all look good yesterday. So hypothetically even if we lossed.... the progression of those guys was a success regardless. A win just makes it that much better. It's always great to see the culture start getting wins for the locker room. We needed to get at least 1 of these 1st 4 weeks and ideally 2. And we now got that 1. 

• Like 1

The Jets did get the win and that is the bottom line. Now lets not pretend, the only reason the Jets go that win was luck. You had to have all 3 happen. You first needed a blown coverage which they got. Then you had to get an onside kick which is VERY rare. They got that. Then you had to make plays at the end to get another TD. The Browns blew this game bad. Now I did see some great plays like you said. Wilson looks really good. I hope Zach throws him the ball more than Moore when he comes back. The next thing I liked was Hall. I saw a big change in his game from week 1 to week 2. Then you add Mitchell who has done really well too. We have some good parts but we are still pretty far behind from a good football team. 

Happy for the win, but we have major issues on this team. The Jets secondary was shredded by a back up QB. The Jets front 4 got shredded by the Browns running game. 3 TD's 184 yards on the ground, 229 yards in the air.

We won because of a comedy of errors by the Browns and poor play. If Chub takes a knee the Jets are handed another loss.

Yes the Jets won, yes the OL is handicapped, yes Wilson is the real deal, as is Hall and Gardner. 

But just as Saleh said last week, the Ravens won the game, but we lost the game. The game was the Jets to have. Yesterday it was the opposite, the Browns lost the game, the Jets did not win the game.

The loss was a slap in the face of a franchise who mismanaged the last 2 minutes of the game. 

This is not to take anything away from the grit and sdticktuiviveness of the Jets and stole a victory from the jaws of defeat.

I tip my hat to them, sometimes it takes a crazy game like this that pumps life into a franchise.

But this team definitely has issues especially against the run, and they had better find a solution.

9 minutes ago, Big T said:

Happy for the win, but we have major issues on this team. The Jets secondary was shredded by a back up QB. The Jets front 4 got shredded by the Browns running game. 3 TD's 184 yards on the ground, 229 yards in the air.

We won because of a comedy of errors by the Browns and poor play. If Chub takes a knee the Jets are handed another loss.

Yes the Jets won, yes the OL is handicapped, yes Wilson is the real deal, as is Hall and Gardner. 

But just as Saleh said last week, the Ravens won the game, but we lost the game. The game was the Jets to have. Yesterday it was the opposite, the Browns lost the game, the Jets did not win the game.

The loss was a slap in the face of a franchise who mismanaged the last 2 minutes of the game. 

This is not to take anything away from the grit and sdticktuiviveness of the Jets and stole a victory from the jaws of defeat.

I tip my hat to them, sometimes it takes a crazy game like this that pumps life into a franchise.

But this team definitely has issues especially against the run, and they had better find a solution.

I don't think the Jets got shredded in the passing game. If the QB throws for 229 yards that is a good top average game in my book. I think Reed and Gardner are going to be one of the best CB duo in the league. I keep telling you guys that Gardner is going to be something special. He will be the best CB in the league by next year if not the follwoing year. He is going to shut people down period. He was the best player coming out of the draft. Now you have Wilson and Garnder going at it every day is going to be great for both. We all knew that the Browns would run all over us. They run over everyone with Chubb and Hunt. 

Some Takeaways:

• Garret Wilson: Almost hard to believe we have a #1 WR in the making; Wilson looks the part. Incredibly smooth with his release, breaks, etc. 
  • Special Teams: Westhoff > Boyer.. the one coaching position we can't seem to screw up. The decision to go with Zuerlein proved to be a difference maker. Berrios/Mann were both great.
  • Flacco: Really happy for cool Joe. He got it done when it mattered, but I thought he struggled for most of the game. His stats over the first two week tell a completely different story than the one we've seen. 
  • Saleh: Biggest criticism of Saleh was that 3rd down late in the 4th - getting beat by a screen, again, on what looked to be the biggest play in the game. How are you not expecting that? He was out coached. That said, this isn't a game we win in years past. Attribute it to luck all you want, but there's something to be said about the sheer grit and belief needed to capitalize on said luck.
  • OL: We're just not there yet up front. Terrible? Not at all, but from the day JD took over, reviving the OL has been his priority. With Hall/Carter, and the weapons we have, this team will improve drastically if the OL can become the strength it was meant to be. 
  • DJ Reed / Whitehead: Both have been excellent. Reed more so, but Whitehead has been all over the field.
  • Other: Credit to Q/Lawson for coming up huge on that late sack. Dline was underwhelming otherwise. Would like to see Moore get going next week. Joyner is abysmal. 

Some of what jumped out to me most. Hope we see Zach next week, but unlikely.