**2023 NFL Draft Prospects**

Texas_OutLaw7

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Sure pick round 3, 4 but what are the chances you find a player there where you have such high expectations for the performance of our entire offense if TP was going down?

TP was a 4th rounder. Demarco Murray was a 3rd rounder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I swear, this is the sort of twisted logic that led to us taking Zeke fourth overall in the first place- the idea that this team uniquely has to have a superstar bellcow RB because we’re the Cowboys, or something, and, like, making celebrities of our star players is somehow integral to the franchise

It’s silly when you put it that way but I swear that’s what y’all really mean by this. Like, you’re not even giving credence to the notion of other players/positions stepping up in the absence of Pollard. It’s all, myopically, about the dude with the ball.

Don’t get me wrong, if Robinson’s there at 26, go for it. Gibbs or Achane in the 2nd would be fun, though I’m not sure they’re quite what this team is looking for. A 3rd or 4th rounder like Bigsby, McBride or Roschon Johnson to mix in with Davis/Dowdle/RoJo seems to be the right nexus of need + value + ability to soak up 200 touches if needed

I'm there with ya on Bijan or any bigger back can do the workhorse role complimentary to Pollard.

I just believe our rookie back should be expected to perform as well as pollard.

It has to be 1A and 1B situation. Anything otherwise can spell trouble with how I know this team goes.

We always seem to have one back every season that performs way better than the 2nd back and is very broken down by playoffs.

I like my chances with the higher tier backs on this.

10 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Do we risk rolling with a lower tier RB in the draft if TP was to get injured?

How much does that screw our season? Good teams like the 49ers have decent 3rd or 4th RBs. You need to have depth right now at that position to last an entire season. Especially as much as we want to knock Zeke, but he was a complimentary running style that we knew would last throughout the season IF he wasn't overworked.

Sure pick round 3, 4 but what are the chances you find a player there where you have such high expectations for the performance of our entire offense if TP was going down?

Should we depend on that?

I think it's something we need to think about. It'll help us establish a consistent run game throughout the season which will greatly help Dak. 

It may sound like it makes sense for other teams to invest later in RB but does it make sense for us..?

Tyson Allgeier topped 1,000 rushing yards while averaging 4.9ypc as a 5th round rookie. Dameon Pierce was on his way to ~1,500 yards from scrimmage as a 4th rounder before injury. Isaiah Pacheco, as a 7th rounder, started in the Super Bowl and had 5ypc along with a TD. Rachaad White and Brian Robinson had success as 3rd rounders.

That’s just the 2022 rookie class.

I am absolutely not desperate to draft one in the first two rounds.

11 hours ago, Northland said:

Personally I think Torrence is gone before 26.  I just have this wishful vision of Tyler Smith at LT and Torrence at LG.  Dominant left side for a decade.  On Sirius NFL they talked about how Torrence is an immediate plug in and play starter.  Charlie Weiss was quite impressed with him.  He felt that if Torrence had any tackle experience he might be the first OL taken.  I just think he will be the type of player who sets a physical tone from day one.

I like, but don’t love Torrence. I agree he’s be a day 1 starter at guard, but there are several guys who fit that bill. If I’m choosing, I prefer Avila to him.

Doing a few sims here:

26: R1 P26 RB Jahmyr Gibbs - Alabama
58: R2 P27 RB Devon Achane - Texas A&M
90: R3 P27 RB Tyjae Spears - Tulane
129: R4 P27 RB Kenny McIntosh - Georgia
169: R5 P34 RB Sean Tucker - Syracuse
212: R6 P35 RB Deuce Vaughn - Kansas State
244: R7 P27 RB Keaton Mitchell - East Carolina

26: R1 P26 RB Bijan Robinson - Texas
58: R2 P27 RB Zach Charbonnet - UCLA
90: R3 P27 RB Tyjae Spears - Tulane
129: R4 P27 RB Kenny McIntosh - Georgia
169: R5 P34 RB Eric Gray - Oklahoma
212: R6 P35 RB Deuce Vaughn - Kansas State
244: R7 P27 RB Keaton Mitchell - East Carolina
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I'm there with ya on Bijan or any bigger back can do the workhorse role complimentary to Pollard.

I just believe our rookie back should be expected to perform as well as pollard.

It has to be 1A and 1B situation. Anything otherwise can spell trouble with how I know this team goes.

We always seem to have one back every season that performs way better than the 2nd back and is very broken down by playoffs.

I like my chances with the higher tier backs on this.

Yeah, and I like my chances better at finding a starting guard or another receiver or anything else in the earlier rounds, too. That’s how this works. You have to ask yourself which positions are really worth splurging on and which ones are the ones smarter teams tend to skimp on.

I get that you want better than decent at the RB position. They’re fun to watch, they score the points, you can draft them in fantasy, I get it. But I would implore you to go back through the last 10-15 SB teams (winners and losers) and find me the ones with heavy investment in the RB position. The case is closed, man.

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah, and I like my chances better at finding a starting guard or another receiver or anything else in the earlier rounds, too. That’s how this works. You have to ask yourself which positions are really worth splurging on and which ones are the ones smarter teams tend to skimp on.

I get that you want better than decent at the RB position. They’re fun to watch, they score the points, you can draft them in fantasy, I get it. But I would implore you to go back through the last 10-15 SB teams (winners and losers) and find me the ones with heavy investment in the RB position. The case is closed, man.

Look back through the last 10 or so 1st round RBs and tell me one team who is glad they took them. 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

There were 15 RBs to top 1k yards last season.

1st rounders: 5

2nd rounders: 5

3rd rounders: 0

4th rounders: 3

5th rounders: 2

6th rounders: 0

7th rounders: 0

UDFAs: 0

The problem isn’t that early round backs are unproductive, it’s that their productivity is inconsequential. I would contend that you have to go back to the Seahawks with Marshawn to find the last real contender whose offensive success was inextricably tied to the lead back. It’s staggering how many teams in the last decade have made it to the SB with some vet minimum journeyman leading the backfield. Conversely, I think there’s way more compelling evidence that an elite TE can move the needle for a team, but the recent first round history at that position is quite uninspiring, to say the least.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

The problem isn’t that early round backs are unproductive, it’s that their productivity is inconsequential. I would contend that you have to go back to the Seahawks with Marshawn to find the last real contender whose offensive success was inextricably tied to the lead back. It’s staggering how many teams in the last decade have made it to the SB with some vet minimum journeyman leading the backfield. Conversely, I think there’s way more compelling evidence that an elite TE can move the needle for a team, but the recent first round history at that position is quite uninspiring, to say the least.

Well the last decade plus is littered with Tom Brady and Pat Mahomes holding up the trophy.

I think it’s pretty well accepted that the best way to get to a SB is to have an elite QB and to throw the ball with him. If you don’t have one though then passing the ball isn’t going to be your ticket. You need a defense and a solid rushing attack to control the clock.

I think the 49ers are a fairly personal and up close example of such a team. They spent a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and a 5th on CMC. The Eagles were 4th in rushing yards per game. Granted, having the QB go for over 700 yards and 13 TDs on the ground plays a huge role there. Dak isn’t going to turn into Mahomes in the air or Hurts on the ground anytime soon. I think having a solid rushing attack and smothering defense is going to be our ticket as long as Dak doesn’t sabotage it with turnovers. 

The Jags drafted a 1st round RB and things are working well for them. The Seahawks spent a 3rd on Walker and did better against the 49ers in the playoffs than we did. And of course, the Cowboys… the closest we have come to a Superbowl in a while was 2016 after spending a 1st on a RB. There are several examples of teams with great defenses, solid RBs, and mid QBs competing every season(and even ending ours).

Im okay with Bijan in the first, Gibbs in the 2nd, or a whole host of RBs in the 3rd or 4th. I think we need to draft one in the 1st 4 rounds though. If something happens to TP, our offense is going to be a bag of dog **** just like it was in the divisional after he went down. Cooks is no savior. 

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Well the last decade plus is littered with Tom Brady and Pat Mahomes holding up the trophy.

I think it’s pretty well accepted that the best way to get to a SB is to have an elite QB and to throw the ball with him. If you don’t have one though then passing the ball isn’t going to be your ticket. You need a defense and a solid rushing attack to control the clock.

I think the 49ers are a fairly personal and up close example of such a team. They spent a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and a 5th on CMC. The Eagles were 4th in rushing yards per game. Granted, having the QB go for over 700 yards and 13 TDs on the ground plays a huge role there. Dak isn’t going to turn into Mahomes in the air or Hurts on the ground anytime soon. I think having a solid rushing attack and smothering defense is going to be our ticket as long as Dak doesn’t sabotage it with turnovers. 

The Jags drafted a 1st round RB and things are working well for them. The Seahawks spent a 3rd on Walker and did better against the 49ers in the playoffs than we did. And of course, the Cowboys… the closest we have come to a Superbowl in a while was 2016 after spending a 1st on a RB. There are several examples of teams with great defenses, solid RBs, and mid QBs competing every season(and even ending ours).

Im okay with Bijan in the first, Gibbs in the 2nd, or a whole host of RBs in the 3rd or 4th. I think we need to draft one in the 1st 4 rounds though. If something happens to TP, our offense is going to be a bag of dog **** just like it was in the divisional after he went down. Cooks is no savior. 

When it came down to it, though, who made the dance? Philly and KC, the clear cut top teams in each conference. Both of whom deployed a slew of backs throughout the season behind OLs stacked with high picks and big contracts. So yeah, of course the running game matters- but it’s all about the blocking.

I would note that 26 isn’t really *that* high of a pick, so all of us saying we’d take Bijan there doesn’t really mean much. To be honest, if you ask me, it’s almost like saying you’d spend a late first on Justin Tucker. Which, to be fair, I would.

23 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I have not spent much time on Myles Murphy - but he seems to be falling pretty hard in mock drafts. Pretty surprising, given what I do know about him. Any thoughts on him?

I’d be less than thrilled with him in the top 10, but at 26 he’s just fine. Not exactly a quick twitch athlete. He has great size and length though. Strong side DE prospect. Probably not a 15 sack season guy, but I think he’ll be good against the run, and provided 6-10 sacks a year. I think a taller Anthony Spencer, who was ironically selected round 1 pick 26

Edited by DaBoys