Are the Vikings for real?

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Exactly why record isn't a very good measure of how good a team is or is not.

Curious indeed.

I'm going to put this simply because I'm feeling lazy.

We beat GB 23-7 this year. GB also doesn't have the best WR in football. We are also 5 games ahead of them. 

We are a better football team than GB. Sorry 

I think this Vikings defense isn't as bad as what people have been saying (it's average according to EPA/play and Donatell has been blitzing bit more in recent weeks) but on the flip side, offense has been slightly above average despite having a pretty good supporting cast. Offense has lot more room to improve imo and that's what makes me bit more optimistic about playoffs. Problem with this offense is it's very inconsistent even within a game...the offense looks stellar for 2 quarters and then completely disappears for other 2 quarters. The offense sucks at screens and struggles to deal with blitzes....there has been some progress in last few weeks in these areas but still has someway to go. Giants blitzed like crazy and it took a lot of time to Vikings to atleast make some adjustments. 

KOC has been a very good HC but his offensive playcalling has had some up and downs. Biggest problem is short yardage situations..KOC loves going empty on every short yardage situation and it just hasn't been as efficient or successful as you'd hope for. So many drives stall due to inability to convert on these short yardage situations.

11 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

At the end of the day, no one is going to give us any credit unless we win by 20+ or until we win a couple of playoff games. It's annoying but it's part of not being one of the best market teams. Fine with us flying under the radar a little bit.

For me personally it has nothing to do with the market and everything to do with the way you've won a lot of your games, and the fact that Kirk Cousins is notoriously not able to be counted on when it matters.

However, that being said, the NFC is incredibly weak this year so anything could happen. I certainly would put my money on MIN to beat GB in a playoff game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

At the end of the day, no one is going to give us any credit unless we win by 20+ or until we win a couple of playoff games. It's annoying but it's part of not being one of the best market teams. Fine with us flying under the radar a little bit.

Nothing to do with the market. It’s because the team is constantly playing level with the competition while facin having the 27th easiest SOS. That’s both good and bad, but  that’s not a good sign for the playoffs. Cousins is also very average and in the last two playoff appearances the team was embarrassed. 

Until the Vikings start winning big games and consistently performing in the playoffs, they will be doubted. 

2 minutes ago, stlducks said:

Nothing to do with the market. It’s because the team is constantly playing level with the competition while facin having the 27th easiest SOS. That’s both good and bad, but  that’s not a good sign for the playoffs. Cousins is also very average and in the last two playoff appearances the team was embarrassed. 

Until the Vikings start winning big games and consistently performing in the playoffs, they will be doubted. 

I think 11-0 in one score games and setting your team up for 8 game winning drives in one season is far from "very average." We're talking about this year, not previous years. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I think 11-0 in one score games and setting your team up for 8 game winning drives in one season is far from "very average." We're talking about this year, not previous years. 

Cousins is one of those guys that will always get hated on for no apparent reason.

Before, he was seen as a choke artist that can't win on prime time.

He changes that narrative this season and now he's just lucky.

Can't win with stubborn fans, especially on FF.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, biggie. said:

Cousins is one of those guys that will always get hated for no apparent reason.

Before, he was seen as a choke artist that can't win on prime time.

He changes that narrative this season and now he's just lucky.

Can't win with stubborn fans, especially on FF.

He's corny, and doesn't have that flashy factor that some QBs have like Mahomes, Allen and Herbert. That's all it is. His actual QB play has always been good, and he's showing up in a much bigger way this year. A borderline MVP candidate. 

This is unlikely that the Vikings face the packers in the wild card round.If they lose against the Packers, it would be the 49ers who would be in the second seed if they win their last 2 games vs Raiders and Cardinals, so the vikings would be in the 3rd seed in this scenario

If the Giants win against the Colts this week, the Packers could not finish in the 6th seed and the Giants would be locked for this position.

If the vikings win against the packers, the packers would very likely to be out of the playoffs, so a wild card round between its 2 teams is unlikely. Giants, WSH, Seattle or Detroit are the most likely opponents for the vikings

15 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

He's corny, and doesn't have that flashy factor that some QBs have like Mahomes, Allen and Herbert. That's all it is. His actual QB play has always been good, and he's showing up in a much bigger way this year. A borderline MVP candidate. 

Cousins changed from the start of last year. He's resilient and always plays to win no matter what the score.

Also a true ironman, the guy never gets hurt. He's as tough as nails