Mac Jones

biggie.

Come half way through the season, Matty P and Joey J will be full time positional coaches and BB will be attached to Mac's hip, calling plays. 

It's not going to work, and Bill will look to address this.

Their playcalling against Miami was a like a 12 year old drawing with crayons.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I prefer Mac to Tua but I'm not high on either going forward. Wilson is definitely talented and I think the Jets have done a good job of putting talent around him but he just hasn't been able to stay healthy. I think missing out on training camp reps and time to start the season hurts him. If he can't show pretty significant progress this season I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets look elsewhere at QB either via trade, free agency, or the draft.

I just don't think Saleh is that guy. Seems to be in over his head. Last week was a **** show. 

I personally think this is why you don't pick a QB like Mac Jones in the First Round. I don't think he's the type of guy that really elevates a team or wins you games. I think that he's fine as a pocket guy, but he's got zero athleticism, limited arm strength, and I don't know how many games he "wins you" compared to dudes like Mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers, Burrow, etc.

He honestly was hard to evaluate coming out because his OL never allowed him to get touched as he was throwing to multiple 1st and 2nd Round WR and handing it off to a 1st Round RB.

None of that is his fault, but he never struck me as a guy with anything more than an average ceiling. You're really betting hard on every single intangible like huddle presence, reading a defense, and presnap pressure checks/audibles, and that's a tough ask even if you're a strong armed guy and/or a great athlete.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I personally think this is why you don't pick a QB like Mac Jones in the First Round. I don't think he's the type of guy that really elevates a team or wins you games. I think that he's fine as a pocket guy, but he's got zero athleticism, limited arm strength, and I don't know how many games he "wins you" compared to dudes like Mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers, Burrow, etc.

He honestly was hard to evaluate coming out because his OL never allowed him to get touched as he was throwing to multiple 1st and 2nd Round WR and handing it off to a 1st Round RB.

None of that is his fault, but he never struck me as a guy with anything more than an average ceiling. You're really betting hard on every single intangible like huddle presence, reading a defense, and presnap pressure checks/audibles, and that's a tough ask even if you're a strong armed guy and/or a great athlete.

Probably wouldn't be that bad if they gave him some really good pieces to work with, right? I agree with all of the above, but can you still draft a QB like him in first round if you then can give him a great receiving corps and OL?

Like...New England have given him reconstituted slop at both. Dreadful receivers, dreadful offensive line as it currently seems.

40 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Probably wouldn't be that bad if they gave him some really good pieces to work with, right? I agree with all of the above, but can you still draft a QB like him in first round if you then can give him a great receiving corps and OL?

Like...New England have given him reconstituted slop at both. Dreadful receivers, dreadful offensive line as it currently seems.

I guess philosophically I'd never draft a guy like him in the middle half of the first round because it's going to really force you to get an elite OL to keep him upright with multiple quality receivers. You're going to have to surround him with talent and he's not going to elevate a roster on his own. He's an average to slightly above average starting QB, but he's going to lead you to limbo land most likely and then you're going to have to pay him after his rookie deal expires, which then there go those other pieces you need for him to be successful.

Did we have much choice? Could we really go into the season with Cam starting again?

I guess you could argue we use the first round pick on a weapon, but then we'd have come under heavy fire for not getting a QB, plus BB suuuuhuhuhuuhhks at drafting 'weapons'. The next draft he did use a first round pick on an OL.....

The whole "quarterback elevating his team" thing is an unrealistic expectation for most QBs; it goes back to my complaint that too many people have the mindset of be "elite" or be tossed aside. Plus we have seen "elite" QBs struggle due to declining rosters: Rodgers in 2015, Peyton in 2010 and Brady in 2013/2019. Mahomes struggled a bit last season because the offense was flickering on and off for some reason.

Being in that Carr/Cousins/Mac/Polo tier isn't a bad thing. 

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 3

Should this perhaps be in the overreactions thread? He was decently productive as a rookie, and lost week 1 in Miami, where the Pats always lost even with Brady.

I would also say people are being overly harsh on the pass catchers in NE, they’re not elite but they’re not terrible. I think the Bears, Jets, Jags, Lions, Titans, Falcons, Texans are comfortably worse, and a handful of others are debatable. They are deep and varied, no stars but Parker and Henry especially are very good players.

Hell, there are years (2002, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2013 and 2019) Brady would have KILLED for this group, and would likely have put up great numbers with it.

As odd as it is to say about NE, if anything is going to hold Mac back it will the coaching and the frankly bizarre decision to not have a true OC.

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Should this perhaps be in the overreactions thread? He was decently productive as a rookie, and lost week 1 in Miami, where the Pats always lost even with Brady.

I would also say people are being overly harsh on the pass catchers in NE, they’re not elite but they’re not terrible. I think the Bears, Jets, Jags, Lions, Titans, Falcons, Texans are comfortably worse, and a handful of others are debatable. They are deep and varied, no stars but Parker and Henry especially are very good players.

Hell, there are years (2002, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2013 and 2019) Brady would have KILLED for this group, and would likely have put up great numbers with it.

As odd as it is to say about NE, if anything is going to hold Mac back it will the coaching and the frankly bizarre decision to not have a true OC.

I agree that we have talent. The problem is the coaching outside of Belichick. The Patricia/Judge experiment reminds me of when Philly made Juan Castillo, a great offensive line coach, the defensive coordinator.

We need dedicated coordinators cuz right now we have way too many cooks in the kitchen. We should have hired an outsider for the offense and either promote Jerod Mayo or brought back Brian Flores to run the defense.

Edited by biggie.

I think that acting like Mac has regressed compared to last year is crazy. First the sample size of two games is crazy to judge anyone on.

Look at Brady's numbers over two games this year compared to last year: 2021 56-86 65.1% 655 9 2  2022 36-61 59% 402 2 1 . Is Brady falling off the cliff? Probably not it's two games.

Mac Jones first two games last year to this year are not much different even though the two teams he has played are better than his first two opponents last year Jones' numbers are: 2021 51-69 73.9% 467 1 0   2022  42-65 64.6% 465 2 2. At the end of the season Jones hasn't shown that he can play, then you can start worrying. For now just relax and enjoy the games.

I thought Mac looked really good Sunday 

He’s never going to be Josh Allen but I think he’ll be better than Kirk Cousins. That ball he dropped to Agolhor was a dime. He had a lot of good passes. I’d be encouraged by his development but they need to bring in an offensive mind next year to continue that development. I like Mac though he’s a good player. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 8:17 PM, ChazStandard said:

Madness. 

• Bears, Texans - comfortably
  • Titans, Falcons - probably; there's at least an argument to be made for Woods/Burkes/Henry and Pitts/London/Patterson
  • Jets, Lions, Jags - no

11 hours ago, brownie man said:

I thought Mac looked really good Sunday 

He’s never going to be Josh Allen but I think he’ll be better than Kirk Cousins. That ball he dropped to Agolhor was a dime. He had a lot of good passes. I’d be encouraged by his development but they need to bring in an offensive mind next year to continue that development. I like Mac though he’s a good player. 

The ball that should have been picked?