Mac Jones

biggie.

Patriots have done a poor job surrounding him with legitimately skilled playmakers.  But the biggest issue might be that their coaching staff is... Questionable to say the least.

And look, I know Belichick knows a HELL of a lot more about football than I do. But how are Matt Patricia (last worked with an offense in 2005 as the assistant offensive line coach... for the Patriots) and Joe Judge (only time he worked with an offense, at least in title, was 2019 as the ST and WRs coach... for the Patriots) your top two coaches on the offensive side of the ball? 

Even the rest of the coaches scream nepotism and not who you want working with an offense led by a 24-year old QB.  Their RBs coach, Sunseri, has only been a coach since 2019.  '19 was spent as the graduate assistant at Alabama (gee, I wonder how he got a job with the Patriots?) and as a defensive coaching assistant with the Patriots in 2020. Their WR coach, Troy Brown, has only been a coach for 2 seasons... and again, we all know how he got this job in the first place. Nick Caley, their TE coach, has the most experience (at least in title) working with offenses... and he's spent his entire pro coaching career with New England. He spent time as a graduate assistant and secondary coach in college. Their assistant OL coach is again someone who played under Belichick. He also worked under Patricia in Detroit.  Before 2020, his experience was a strength and conditioning coach in college and whatever the heck Minority Coaching Fellowship/Assistantship entails. 

I get the Patriots aren't the only team who make hires based on a "who you know" basis, but geez.  You would have a hard time, if it was even possible, finding a worse, less qualified group of offensive coaches than what the Patriots employ.  If this is Belichick's plan going forward on offense, just hire his own guys, qualifications be damned, then I don't see things getting better in New England.  And while Mac Jones might not be good, it is hard for me to place a lot of blame on him when from an outsiders POV, the offensive game is passing Belichick by.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

He has a legitimately bad offensive supporting cast that would hurt most players in the league. Definitley has some growing pains. But the truth of the matter is, the teams record has far less to do with him and more to do with the offense sucking for several years. Tom Brady and a really good defense dragged them to a playoff in 2019, but then got soundly beat by an okayish Titans team. 

Realistically, I think he's still the best of his rookie class and shows lots of good decision making and decisiveness which is far and away the hardest thing to get a QB to do and he has solid accuracy. Not the strongest arm but good enough. The Patriots still can't get guys open and it effects everything on the offense. Comparatively, look at Tua who had guys open all day. 

Patriots just aren't talented enough to be a playoff team and only one of the top 5 or so QB's are capable of elevating them enough to be one.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Jags, Bears and Jets fans reading this thread and hearing people talk about supporting cast: 

Oh Is That So GIFs | Tenor

Preach. Every other struggling rookie gets labeled a bust while Mac is getting excused here. At least he has a HoF coach and an established team culture. Every other QB has a gun to their head by a fan base starving for wins and backed by a staff that's likely in the hot seat if they don't right the ship quick - and of course a mediocre to poor supporting cast (though I'd say the Jets' weapons are trending to above average).