Week 4: Patriots @ Packers (4:25 ET on CBS) - PG: Packers WIN 27-24 in OT; Move to 3-1!

FAH1223

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Fumbling used to be a mystery issue. Enter Tiki Barber who struggled with it for years. Then came the "high and tight."

The ball is held up to your armpit area. It solves all the issues at once. This should not be an ongoing learning curve

I think this is a bit different when you're talking a WR pulling the ball in and securing it, versus a RB getting those points of contact that really start before anyone's around ya and the ball is put right in your gut.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

For sure, but he def has a legit issue with it. Even when he brings some of those in, they aren't super clean.

Of course.

But he's just a rook. With a LOT to learn still. It will take time. There is so much he brings that cannot be taught (or that he already has learned). But what he does is amazing: that his coach and AR see it already, means it's not just my eyes.

He just needs to clean up his game...... and that will take time. I am pretty amazed by what he does already, the things that cannot be learned or at least easily (and that rarely). The only problem is they need him THIS year. However, even what he brings, with nothing more, I would be happy with for this year.......and I no longer feel like I'll be disappointed if the Pack don't make the Superbowl (last year was "their" year). So, I'm just enjoying the game, and enjoying this team, which is special though has a lot of young parts.

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Actually, the best way to learn it is in practice so he's not learning it by fumbling in games or not finishing TD catches. On the non-TD he needs to wrap his other arm around the ball which lot of receivers do. 

He's a rookie............... with a lot on his plate and high expectations. He absolutely will figure it out, but he can't learn it ALL at once immediately. I am thoroughly impressed with what he's done in so short a time and am confident he will polish his game. I actually don't remember another Packer rookie receiver play this well (and I don't think I watched Sharpe's rookie season). .

Be patient.

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't think he's comfortable at RT. His run blocking is not an issue. Put him inside and if Yosh can't play RT give Tom a chance. 

Switching sides can be more troublesome than moving inside/outside. He just needs the time. Though I worry he may have come back too fast, and isn't up to 80% yet

3 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Of course.

But he's just a rook. With a LOT to learn still. It will take time. There is so much he brings that cannot be taught (or that he already has learned). But what he does is amazing: that his coach and AR see it already, means it's not just my eyes.

He just needs to clean up his game...... and that will take time. I am pretty amazed by what he does already, the things that cannot be learned or at least easily (and that rarely). The only problem is they need him THIS year. However, even what he brings, with nothing more, I would be happy with for this year.......and I no longer feel like I'll be disappointed if the Pack don't make the Superbowl (last year was "their" year). So, I'm just enjoying the game, and enjoying this team, which is special though has a lot of young parts.

100% seems like more of a vet in the other aspects than you'd expect. There's something there. He just has made me wince at some of the targets all the way since the PS. I totally expect the ball security stuff to improve, no doubt. Still could cost us a game, almost did today.

Just now, JaireAlex said:

He's a rookie............... with a lot on his plate and high expectations. He absolutely will figure it out, but he can't learn it ALL at once immediately. I am thoroughly impressed with what he's done in so short a time and am confident he will polish his game. I actually don't remember another Packer rookie receiver play this well (and I don't think I watched Sharpe's rookie season). .

Be patient.

Ball security shouldn't be a 'rookie' issue. He's in the NFL for gosh sakes. He should have that fundamental down when he gets here. 

Rookies with ball security issues ride pine. 

You can't use, "he's a rookie" for basic fundamental things like ball security. 

We legit has a problem at RT. 

I thought we would be lucky and Sean Ryan or Zach Tom would be one of those guys, so that we can push Elgton back to Guard. 

Nijman is not a option either as they tried with him in Practice and he didn't tested well as well. 

Only Option I can think was Nijman at LT, Elgton at LG and Bhak at RT where he had started his career. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What he said. Right now Jenkins is playing himself out of a contract, not into one. I get he's coming off injury but we may have found his kryptonite position on the OL.

I've been waiting for a spot to say this, is there any chance Jenkins at some damn point would RATHER play at guard if he still struggles outside? Or is there too much pride there that as he continues to come back from the injury he'll lock it down?

5 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Switching sides can be more troublesome than moving inside/outside. He just needs the time. Though I worry he may have come back too fast, and isn't up to 80% yet

I'd be fine with giving him time if (1) he wasn't a huge liability and (2) there was no viable replacement in the roster.  He is and there is.

Just now, Norm said:

I've been waiting for a spot to say this, is there any chance Jenkins at some damn point would RATHER play at guard if he still struggles outside? Or is there too much pride there that as he continues to come back from the injury he'll lock it down?

If we think he's still elite inside after the injury, let's extend him under the idea he's moving to guard. He wants his money and who can blame him. 

If we don't think he can be elite inside, put him there anyway and tag and trade him after the season is over. I think he can still be very elite inside. RT, he scares the **** out of me. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

100% seems like more of a vet in the other aspects than you'd expect. There's something there. He just has made me wince at some of the targets all the way since the PS. I totally expect the ball security stuff to improve, no doubt. Still could cost us a game, almost did today.

And for the record, I missed the first 25 minutes of the game. So, I missed the fumble.

Usually the Pack doesn't rely on rookie WRs. no doubt he'll figure out ball security. I remember Ahman Green took several years. And NO DOUBT, he was focused. But I think it took him four years to figure it out.

You just cannot possibly "focus" on everything all at once. At least he didn't run into his fellow team mate on a route this week. I'm just enjoying the flashes (and trying to not see the real ugly on both sides of the ball). We have some very young players and others coming back from injury. SO, while hopeful, I'm more excited for the team as a whole for the next few years. If my expectation is Superbowl, it takes too much fun out of watching. I'm still hopeful, just too much luck in that (and we drew the unlucky card last year with so many key injuries).