Week 4: Patriots @ Packers (4:25 ET on CBS) - PG: Packers WIN 27-24 in OT; Move to 3-1!

FAH1223

Seeing these RT suggestions is entertaining. We're in a unique situation where we basically have two LTs, a project T (Caleb Jones), a couple of young guys who aren't ready (Zach Tom, Sean Rhyan), a below average RT (Newman), and a Guard with all the movement skills to play RT but is still working back from an injury. 

As painful as it sounds, it still feels like Jenkins is the answer until you're absolutely sure he's not. Moving Bakh there is beyond dumb, Yosh apparently doesn't play well there, and no one else is ready. You pretty much have to ride with Jenkins and hope he figures it out for the time being.

• Like 1

The defense only gave up 17 points but that's too much against what they had at QB. I'm not expecting this D to hold teams to 10 points every Sunday, they're going to get scored on, but the ever since that playoff game in SF where Jimmy G threw like 4 passes the entire game and still beat us the constant headache with this defense has been stopping the run in the MLF era.

Yes if a QB doesn't have to throw even a rookie day 3 QB can shine. It's a different DC same problem. If they can't get this thing fixed it's going to be another early exit come playoff time.

I can't blame Gute he's upgraded the front seven but these guys still can't get it done for whatever reason which is puzzling.

23 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Seeing these RT suggestions is entertaining. We're in a unique situation where we basically have two LTs, a project T (Caleb Jones), a couple of young guys who aren't ready (Zach Tom, Sean Rhyan), a below average RT (Newman), and a Guard with all the movement skills to play RT but is still working back from an injury. 

As painful as it sounds, it still feels like Jenkins is the answer until you're absolutely sure he's not. Moving Bakh there is beyond dumb, Yosh apparently doesn't play well there, and no one else is ready. You pretty much have to ride with Jenkins and hope he figures it out for the time being.

Jenkins will hopefully keep knocking off the rust.  He has played tackle at a high level for us before but he has stated he prefers playing on the left side. Nijman not being able to play RT is still TBD. His position coach said they feel comfortable playing him either side but acknowledged he has much more experience on the left filling in last year. I say we bring back Bulaga just to make things even more interesting. 

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Jenkins will hopefully keep knocking off the rust.  He has played tackle at a high level for us before but he has stated he prefers playing on the left side. Nijman not being able to play RT is still TBD. His position coach said they feel comfortable playing him either side but acknowledged he has much more experience on the left filling in last year. I say we bring back Bulaga just to make things even more interesting. 

An interesting idea, I didn't realize he's available. The only potential problems are that he's coming off a back injury, and the Packers are already carrying 11 Oline on the roster. If they didn't want to risk losing Caleb Jones and Rasheed Walker a few weeks ago, I doubt they'll want to risk losing them later in the season either. I guess if a rash of injuries put them on IR, you might be able to make room for Bulaga.

27 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

An interesting idea, I didn't realize he's available. The only potential problems are that he's coming off a back injury, and the Packers are already carrying 11 Oline on the roster. If they didn't want to risk losing Caleb Jones and Rasheed Walker a few weeks ago, I doubt they'll want to risk losing them later in the season either. I guess if a rash of injuries put them on IR, you might be able to make room for Bulaga.

I’m 80% joking. Like you said, we are already pretty heavy at OL although Steno would probably love having an embarrassment of riches there. The last few years we’ve had a long in the tooth vet to help us out at backup tackle and Bulaga would fit that mold. The trouble is the results were mixed and obviously not enough to get us to the mountaintop but it pays to have some experience there. This year, we have too many developmental guys that hopefully pay off the investment. They don’t provide  much immediate help, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Think the offense took some nice strides forward. They blocked up a decent front pretty well and Rodgers not only trusted the rooks a few times, but also had a miserable half, threw a pick 6 and reset and stayed on the attack instead of going into a shell. Doubs and Watson get more involved every week and get a little better.

Defensively, crossing routes and run D continue to be our achilles heel. Tough to stop the run when your TE is 330 pounds. They made the plays when we needed them though.

Ultimately a Doubs fumble & drop, Rodgers pick 6 and Kenny Clark penalty kept this game interesting. Can't let well coached teams hang around.

My perception is that when they force the screens and passes at or near the line the offense stumbles. 

My main problem with this team is they get so stuck in ' the system' that they're late to adjust in game.

Defensively,  we all know Barry is prioritizing not getting beat deep and " daring teams' to run the football. Well, in a game like yesterday when they're taking you up on it and beating you, you gotta make adjustments and I just don't see it being done well enough. 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

I’m 80% joking. Like you said, we are already pretty heavy at OL although Steno would probably love having an embarrassment of riches there. The last few years we’ve had a long in the tooth vet to help us out at backup tackle and Bulaga would fit that mold. The trouble is the results were mixed and obviously not enough to get us to the mountaintop but it pays to have some experience there. This year, we have too many developmental guys that hopefully pay off the investment. They don’t provide  much immediate help, though. 

Agreed, especially about the 80% joking part. You'd have to be in a really weird spot injury wise to justify bringing in Bulaga, but it would make sense on some level. But at the same time, Steno/Butkus would have to explain why we are carrying all these project linemen if none of them can play RT

The offense is literally leaving 7 points minimum on the field each game between fumbles and dropped passes. I don't think this falls under growing pains. Going into week 5, this is unacceptable. 

I'm not sure what the passing offense is anymore. One week its all about screens and not much else. Then its all about screens and short posts. The next week its about screens and go routes. Is there an offensive system anymore ? Or is MLF going to continue picking screens and one other concept and that's it every game ? Dude better start scheming up something to help get these WR's some separation. Also not a huge fan of Watson running jet motions all game. Not sure how he gets better running across the formation and not being involved downfield.

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

We've come full circle. MLF is now Mac. ISO routes and refuses to "scheme" players open. 

That's all we heard about when hired is the McVay offense, mesh concepts, natural picks, rubs, crossers, and confusion to create separation. I'm not seeing any of that lately.