Week 4: Patriots @ Packers (4:25 ET on CBS) - PG: Packers WIN 27-24 in OT; Move to 3-1!

FAH1223

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

We've hit more deep ones this year than it seems like fwiw. 

Agree, sometimes I don't think some people know what they are watching. 

Most 20+ yard completions in the first 4 weeks; Lions 18 - Packers and Broncos 17 - Chargers, Colts, Chiefs, Saints, Eagles, Patriots 16.  

My observations....

---Loved seeing Rodgers point at himself and grimmace after his pick 6.

--Loved the "f" bomb at Myers to snap the ball.  Dude was into the game in the second half.

--Loved the back shoulder TD to Doubs, just so pretty and really a special play for the rookie.

--Loved Doubs, except for the non catch and the fumble.  Mr Up and Down yesterday.  He's an up, down, left, right, left, right, B, A start from being excellent. (old school)

--First time this year I've seen Kenny Clark neutralized.  Man, they buried him up front.

--Quay Walker is a special kind of athlete at ILB.  Just so fast and quick.  Really shows up when he chases... and the dude doesn't give up a play, he pursues hard.  But....run a misdirection right back at him and he's stuck in the mud and buried.  Such is life for the rookie.

--Gary looking elite.  Man, what a game.  Let's see if he can keep it up now that he's going to see a lot of double teams.

--Thought this could have been the best game I've seen Newman play.

--Jenkins at RT is not a "plus" right now.  I think you could call him a minus out there.  Very underwhelming.  He's not looking like our RT for the future, or maybe even for the "now".  I have a hard time believing Nijman couldn't give you what Jenkins is at RT right now...and Jenkins can slide inside and be an All Pro guard.

--Well, it is settled.  Crosby's issues from last year had to be snapper and holder induced.  That unit looks solid now.

--Deguara.  WTH?  MLF supposedly loved him for our system.  But he's not even looked at in the passing game.

--Tonyan.  Nice TD, for sure.  But we don't look his way often either.  And it still looks like he isn't as fast as he was pre-injury.

--The Watson TD.  You notice that the WR who sprung him for the TD on the play was Doubs?  Rookie helping rookie.  And Doubs celebrate HARD with Watson after that play.  It was just a really cool moment.

--WTF refs?  They scored on a play that 2 or 3 seconds after the playclock expired.  And if that isn't bad enough, they also false started because the play was so late.  Half of our guys didn't think the play was allowed.  Unreal.  To make it worse?  I don't feel like we got a make up call after that.

--Aaron Jones.  No clue where this offense would be without him.  Still a special player who looks even faster this year, if that is possible.

Ugly win, but a win is a win.  I thought BB was a 6 point advantage over MLF, and our home field was 3 points of MLF.  BB certainly took away our offense and found our weakness on the D to keep it close.  Hats off, but we still got the W.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, R T said:

Most 20+ yard completions in the first 4 weeks; Lions 18 - Packers and Broncos 17 - Chargers, Colts, Chiefs, Saints, Eagles, Patriots 16.  

are those throws traveling that far in the air or resulting from yards after the catch?

From what I am seeing, GB and Rodgers is pretty low in the average depth of pass attempt, completed air yards per pass attempt.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

45 minutes ago, R T said:

I knew we were up there. 

I get caught up in it myself sometimes where it feels like I'm creating my own reality, nobody is immune. 

During the game a lot of people were upset we ONLY used Watson was a decoy with the jet motions, but I'd be curious to see how many times he just ran a route without any of that motion versus running into the flat as well. You just start to see what you want to after a while. 

There's also the fact that he scored on one as well...

17 points allowed isn’t actually all that bad.

Typically those can be games where you see a good defense give up some points. They went in preparing for an old Hoyer and got some young kid with literally zero film against an offense that hasn’t found its identity yet.

They got a few really good returns on punts and kicks, too. Put that on the special teams, which is slowly improving.

If any of the defensive players got a little relaxed on that call that should have been a delay of game 6 times, that’s a TD that’s kinda forgivable. I mean that was a LONG time it should have been delay of game.

We’re currently 5th in the league in defensive points allowed.

Only the Niners, Bills, Cowboys and Broncos have better scoring defenses than us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

--Loved Doubs, except for the non catch and the fumble.  Mr Up and Down yesterday.  He's an up, down, left, right, left, right, B, A start from being excellent. (old school)

6b97382b4c624e6ed2fb5f8efde27672.gif

at least get the code right 😉

and that fumble was 50/50 on both Doubs and Rodgers. Doubs needs to secure that ball but it was a pisspoor throw that left him exposed instead of making a routine catch. 

The TD drop was 100% on him tho bcuz that was a MF dime from Rodgers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thrILL! said:

...and that fumble was 50/50 on both Doubs and Rodgers. Doubs needs to secure that ball but it was a pisspoor throw that left him exposed instead of making a routine catch. 

The TD drop was 100% on him tho bcuz that was a MF dime from Rodgers. 

I didn't see it that way, necessarily?   He's out for a screen, and Rodgers pass led him; but for some reason he had stopped behind the line of scrimmage.  No idea, maybe a guy is supposed to go statue at the line of scrimmage, stop still, receive, and then run.  But Rodgers obviously, and I think naturally, seemed to anticipate him stepping out.  If he'd already been moving, wouldn't the pass have been a nice lead pass to catch in stride and perhaps go?  

Either way I don't think he had much space, I think some block was supposed to have been made that wasn't.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, craig said:

I didn't see it that way, necessarily?   He's out for a screen, and Rodgers pass led him; but for some reason he had stopped behind the line of scrimmage.  No idea, maybe a guy is supposed to go statue at the line of scrimmage, stop still, receive, and then run.  But Rodgers obviously, and I think naturally, seemed to anticipate him stepping out.  If he'd already been moving, wouldn't the pass have been a nice lead pass to catch in stride and perhaps go?  

Either way I don't think he had much space, I think some block was supposed to have been made that wasn't.  

The pass was low.  It was a much better catch than throw.  But Doubs in a poor position to secure the ball while going upheld.  

Might need a replay to confirm what I recall from the broadcast 

I do think that defenses have a kind of easy time? 

1. The MLF plan is to run, or to predominantly throw passes behind, at, or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. 
  2. So defenses have no reason to give any cushion.  Compress, compress, compress.
  3. Doubs was a little bit open on the deep ball where Rodgers placed it perfectly and Doubs dropped it.  But it wasn't like he was wide open or anything.  And that was single-coverage, right?  
  4. I don't have game film, but my impression both this week and last was that Doubs has often been getting single-covered and jammed, and has not been getting very free very often or very quickly downfield.  When he did get a little open, and got the throw, he dropped it.  
  5. Completions on the edge to Lazard, very difficult throws and catches, nothing easy.  
  6. So, if I was a defensive coach, I'd say yes, let Lazard and Doubs go single-covered outside.  Just play tight, compress everything down underneath, make Lazard and Doubs try to beat you deep.  Leave no space or cushion for WR screens.  Leave no space where end-around/jets would like to go.  Leave no space up the middle for Dillon runs.  Leave no space near the line for short TE throws.  Just crowd, crowd, crowd, crowd.  

Some of the completions to Cobb and to Lazard, and Tonyan, those were NOT easy throws.  

I kinda feel like MLF's run-short-underneath just invites defense to crowd, crowd, crowd.  Unfortunately Doubs missing his throw and having Watson get clear but then not track and catch the deep ball doesn't scare them off the crowd-crowd-crowd game plan.  Take what the defense gives is a wise cliche, but the rookies unfortunately missed both catchable balls.  

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, craig said:

There are nuances to execution no doubt. Rodgers certainly recognizes that Doubs could be special and these kinds of misfires should be rarer as they build chemistry. It should be fun to watch esp when we open it up a bit more. 

5 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

@vegas492 at this time I would like to point you towards Juszcyk stats. This may help you better understand the Deguara role in this offense that MLF loved.

Been awhile since I’ve see Deguara do anything like what Juszcyk just did. 

Edited by thrILL!
on MNF that is
  • Like 1

Against a rookie, third string QB, I’d have expected GB to load the box and force BB to give up on the run and have Zappe pass the ball.  Fortunately for BB, GB didn’t force his hand and this game was way closer than it should’ve been.

Edited by Sasquatch