Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Gardner being behind Jalen doesn’t make him good. 😂

Explaining his current situation rather than the simplistic comment you made…Isn’t me saying Minshew is a good starter. However no doubt he has done better than Lawrence in a similar amount of passing attempts on Jags teams that were as bad or worse than Lawrence’s current teams. 

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

You should probably watch him play rather than looking at box scores. They can be deceiving. 

I get it you want Lawrence to be good, but looking at it from Jags tinted glasses seems like it is making this deceiving for you.

Edited by tyler735

5 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Explaining his current situation rather than the simplistic comment you made…Isn’t me saying Minshew is a good starter. However no doubt he has done better than Lawrence in a similar amount of passing attempts on Jags teams that were as bad or worse than Lawrence’s current teams. 

I get it you want Lawrence to be good, but looking at it from Jags tinted glasses seems like it is making this deceiving for you.

Once again 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/45108-trevor-lawrence-has-arrived/?do=findComment&comment=4784533

On 10/31/2022 at 2:40 PM, Daniel said:
On 10/31/2022 at 2:23 PM, Darbsk said:

Woa, hang on a second......... I know Lawrence was highly touted coming out and he had an awful lot of hype but what specifically has he got talent-wise that 'far surpasses' those three?

Yeah, I'm on the pro-Lawrence side and this is a step too far.

On paper, Lawrence was one of the best prospects, if not the best prospect, since Andrew Luck.  But that is a completely different statement than he has talent far surpassing those three.  I know Elway was one of the most highly touted prospects coming out of college ever.  Marino not as much, from what little I know, but I wasn't alive.

Mahomes is a weird comp if we're just talking about how they were viewed as a prospect.  Because Mahomes was not very hyped at all until he got into the pros and lit up.

Lawrence is turning into a victim of his own hype. People did the same thing with Andrew Luck, when someone gets the "generational" label thrown on them unless they immediately dominate as a rookie like LeBron James did, the naysayers start coming out. The guy is 6 months older than Trey Lance, the bulk of his games have come with the worst HC in NFL history, and people are acting like he's a finished product.

EDIT: Bet the same thing happens to that French kid the NBA is losing their minds over.

QB development is not linear. Lawrence is going to get enough time, and has shown enough to come good. He has some stuff to work on - when he misses, he misses high, he's not great throwing over the middle, but he's accurate enough throwing on the run to make it work while he figures that stuff out.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 6

On 10/31/2022 at 2:42 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

Trevor struggles down there and we don’t have a guy that can make a play on the ball, even after investing heavily in the position. Nobody can beat man coverage besides Engram. They are all schemed open.

Fundamentally, I don't get why the Jags didn't get more physical WRs. Lawrence's best trait is his accuracy on the run, get him out of the pocket and let him air mail balls to a WR who can high point the ball. Worst case, he can scramble and make someone miss.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Lawrence is turning into a victim of his own hype. People did the same thing with Andrew Luck, when someone gets the "generational" label thrown on them unless they immediately dominate as a rookie like LeBron James did, the naysayers start coming out. The guy is 6 months older than Trey Lance, the bulk of his games have come with the worst HC in NFL history, and people are acting like he's a finished product.

EDIT: Bet the same thing happens to that French kid the NBA is losing their minds over.

QB development is not linear. Lawrence is going to get enough time, and has shown enough to come good. He has some stuff to work on - when he misses, he misses high, he's not great throwing over the middle, but he's accurate enough throwing on the run to make it work while he figures that stuff out.

For sure.  If the question is "has Lawrence played up to the hype?" then the answer is an easy no.  But we crown young QBs every year, and write off others, when we all ought to know it's way too early to make a judgment call.  Tua was written off after his first two seasons by most people.  So was Josh Allen.

Mac Jones should have been the first overall pick after his rookie year, and this season he's fighting off a fourth round rookie.  Baker Mayfield broke the rookie TD record, and now is possibly not even the team's number 2.  I don't know why we have to reiterate that same lesson every single year.

Lawrence looks improved to me over last year.  That and the fact that he was an excellent prospect tells me he's probably going to be good.  Could he still bust?  Absolutely.  I'm projecting improvement, not saying the QB he is will win championships, because if he doesn't improve, then yeah, he's a huge bust.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Lawrence looks improved to me over last year.  That and the fact that he was an excellent prospect tells me he's probably going to be good.  Could he still bust?  Absolutely.  I'm projecting improvement, not saying the QB he is will win championships, because if he doesn't improve, then yeah, he's a huge bust.

Even if he never improves, it's going to be me and like 3 leftover Jags fans saying if you stuck him on the 9ers they'd look like the 08 Patriots.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I would like to see Lawrence succeed, Jags fans have had a tough old time of it and it’s totally understandable to want to believe. Watching the games I’m a little surprised he seems to be showing so many basic flaws. Now, exactly as you say, development is not linear, maybe he gets it soon, maybe he takes 24 months, maybe he never gets it but he couldn’t really have been put in a worse position as a rookie. Hopefully he hasn’t been ruined mentally.

You raise a really good point about the hype. To be frank, it’s got ridiculous how much hype accompanies prospects now and it is something that can and definitely does hamper progress. It’s a product of 24/7 football coverage where these talking heads constantly need something to talk about and build up and sell. It’s annoying to me honestly 😁

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

For sure.  If the question is "has Lawrence played up to the hype?" then the answer is an easy no.  But we crown young QBs every year, and write off others, when we all ought to know it's way too early to make a judgment call.  Tua was written off after his first two seasons by most people.  So was Josh Allen.

Mac Jones should have been the first overall pick after his rookie year, and this season he's fighting off a fourth round rookie.  Baker Mayfield broke the rookie TD record, and now is possibly not even the team's number 2.  I don't know why we have to reiterate that same lesson every single year.

Good post, I think because the hype gets rammed down our throats at every turn it’s easy to fall into that trap. We all have at one time or another for sure 😁

Nate Tice made this comparison and I always thought the same thing about who Lawrence reminds me of. Matt Ryan with a little more “oomph” if that makes sense. Tice used the term “Super-Charged” Matt Ryan.

Maybe not the level of player he was hyped up as a prospect, but still a great QB. 

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 1

True leader accepts responsibility.

Trevor Lawrence: I know I haven’t played my best

Early in the second quarter of Jacksonville’s 21-17 loss to Denver in London last week, the Jaguars had first-and-goal at the 1-yard line.

Head coach Doug Pederson called a pass play, with quarterback Trevor Lawrence rolling to his right. It was apparent the play was well-covered and Lawrence had the opportunity to fire the ball out of the back of the end zone and line up again at the Denver 1 to try and make the game 14-0.

But instead, Lawrence tried to fit a pass to Marvin Jones into a tight window, and safety Justin Simmons intercepted it.

It was a bad decision that was emblematic of a fairly poor day for Lawrence, whose Jaguars are now 2-6 after a promising 2-1 start to the season.

The second-year quarterback said on Wednesday that red-zone pick was “definitely frustrating.”

“Obviously you make a critical error like that and at that point in the game, we’re up 7-0, and you think about how that would change the game if we end up scoring on that drive and make it 14-0, take the life out of their sideline and kind of keep all the momentum,” Lawrence said in his press conference. ‘I think that’s the most frustrating thing when you look back on it and just how the game changes.

“I know I didn’t play a great game from that point forward but really don’t necessarily think it was from that play. I just think that, obviously, some things happened, I didn’t play my best ball, and that’s disappointing, but as far as just moving on, I think that’s something that I’ve learned in the past year and a half, and even before that is just the importance of being able to do that because you can’t get that play back.”

In Jacksonville’s current five-game losing streak, Lawrence has completed just 57.8 percent of his passes for 1,068 yards with four touchdowns and five interceptions. He’s also fumbled five times, losing four of them.

Asked about facing significant criticism, Lawrence said, “It’s part of the job.”

“No matter who you are, you’re going to face criticism, especially when you don’t feel like you’re not playing your best,” Lawrence said. “I don’t feel like I’ve played my best the past couple weeks.

Good news, T-Law - you get the Raiders next. They got shut out last week, and if that happens again, there's a very, very good chance you win the game. Let's go Trev!!! You can do it, buddy!

On 11/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, Thomas5737 said:

Just because one QB has nearly twice the winning percentage and was much more productive doesn't mean he played better. Right?

I've watched both guys.  Minshew has made some great plays but it was clear his arm talent was lacking and by that I do mean arm strength. 

Lawrence has the better physical tools. 

The biggest difference was minshew took a lot of sacks and fumbled a bit. 

Minshew was also an overaged rookie coming out and is turning 27 in may while Lawrence just turned 23 last month.  3 seasons of football playing/experience is alot of time to learn. 

As far as production goes I probably take Minshews wrs corps over Lawrence.  

I'd take Lawrences tighends.

Running back is almost a push. 

Edited by LinderFournette
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

I've watched both guys.  Minshew has made some great plays but it was clear his arm talent was lacking and by that I do mean arm strength. 

Lawrence has the better physical tools. 

This isn't apples to apples, but you might be seeing something along the same line in Washington. Heinicke doesn't have the arm strength or physical tools as Wentz or others before him, but he's just found ways to win. It isn't always pretty, but it comes together at the end sometimes.