Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

Just now, CKSteeler said:

I'm not championing Lawrence! Now here are a whole bunch of posts where I post stats that attempt to make Lawrence look good!

I never said Lawrence's recent upswing was one good quarter against the Ravens. Though he basically put up one particularly good quarter of play in that game. He also played well against Oakland, for whatever that is worth. He was mediocre against the Chiefs at best, but yea, the final statline didn't look bad. Entered the 4th quarter down 27-10. 

You are a hoot, pal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

It’s impossible for me not to respond. Pls send help

Oh, I’ve had him on ignore since page 18. You can’t help people who actively try to be obtuse - this is their calling, this is what they do.

Best to leave idiots in their own bliss. 

• Like 1

Well, here we are, and Trevor Lawrence has finally managed to win as many games as Minshew did in his first season as a starter. So I guess there's that?

See, here's the funny part. Criticism of Lawrence was so hard to take for some people who, yes, were heaping praise on the guy following a few mediocre performances that one had to put me on ignore. It was just CRAZY to suggest that it was pretty pathetic that the #1 overall pick and generational talent wasn't really outplaying Gardner Minshew on any level. Because he wasn't.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Not sure how anyone is “crowning him”. He’s making clear progress after a statistically rough rookie year in a tough situation. Lawrence ranks through 11 games (thanks @pwny😞

14th in ANY/A
11th in passer rating
17th in QBR
13th in YPG
11th in INT%
17th in TD%
11th in comp%
10th in sack%
15th in NY/A

Fair to say he’s a middle of the road QB right now and over the month of November:

Think it’s ok to be pretty stoked about his trajectory.

Considering the situation he found himself in last year (could they have done more to try and ruin him??) I would say we’ve seen pretty solid progress and he did look decent and comfortable against us (though take that with a pinch of salt as even Russell Wilson looked decent against us).

Not sure he’s ever going to be able to live up to the draft hype, but I’d think Jags fans should be pretty optimistic he’s going to continue to make strides.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Well, here we are, and Trevor Lawrence has finally managed to win as many games as Minshew did in his first season as a starter. So I guess there's that?

See, here's the funny part. Criticism of Lawrence was so hard to take for some people who, yes, were heaping praise on the guy following a few mediocre performances that one had to put me on ignore. It was just CRAZY to suggest that it was pretty pathetic that the #1 overall pick and generational talent wasn't really outplaying Gardner Minshew on any level. Because he wasn't.

It's almost as if you shouldn't stand your ground and base your opinions on a young player so early.

• Like 2

For the record - I only put stupid people on ignore. I’m fine with dissenting opinions, but those who articulate those points poorly and remain obtuse when proven horribly wrong will immediately fall on the ignore list.

It’s admittedly a short list - but those who are on there are a brand of stupid I’d prefer to not engage with.

If you quote ‘em, I’ll see it and respond. But that’s it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Considering the situation he found himself in last year (could they have done more to try and ruin him??) I would say we’ve seen pretty solid progress and he did look decent and comfortable against us (though take that with a pinch of salt as even Russell Wilson looked decent against us).

Not sure he’s ever going to be able to live up to the draft hype, but I’d think Jags fans should be pretty optimistic he’s going to continue to make strides.

No no. Remember Mahomes had a losing record in college. So clearly he sucked something fierce. The fact he averaged 40 ppg and his defense gave up 43ppg had not bearing... he was still a loser. Brady winning rings with a top 3 defense was all him. Its all the QB.  😁

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

No no. Remember Mahomes had a losing record in college. So clearly he sucked something fierce. The fact he averaged 40 ppg and his defense gave up 43ppg had not bearing... he was still a loser. Brady winning rings with a top 3 defense was all him. Its all the QB.  😁

Wins are a QB stat (especially as a first and second year QB (ON THE JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS)), didn’t you know?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm not championing Lawrence! Now here are a whole bunch of posts where I post stats that attempt to make Lawrence look good!

I never said Lawrence's recent upswing was one good quarter against the Ravens. Though he basically put up one particularly good quarter of play in that game. He also played well against Oakland, for whatever that is worth. He was mediocre against the Chiefs at best, but yea, the final statline didn't look bad. Entered the 4th quarter down 27-10. 

It was a 10 point game with 6 minutes left and the Jags had all of their TO’s. Should have easily had a 3 TD game (maybe 4 if Kirk didn’t drop that pass on the opening drive) but the Engram TD got called back for illegal man downfield.

How was he mediocre?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Jaguars defense isn't that bad this year, but they weren't all the #1 pick so there aren't as many people willing to give those guys the benefit of the doubt. Jaguars run game? It's been pretty explosive and good this year, but those guys weren't as hyped as Lawrence so again...not as much credit given to them. The team has been in position to win a lot more games and Lawrence has underwhelmed and failed to deliver. 

They aren't a stacked team by any means, but there is talent there and Lawrence isn't getting the most out of it  by any stretch of the imagination. Which is the funniest thing - ET insisted that Gardner Minshew played with some great squad because he had Leonard Fournette and a WR who is going to be out of the league in a year or two. 

The Jaguars team right now is out playing the team that Minshew had and won more games with. It's pretty obvious why a team is giving Lawrence a far longer leash, but the people pretending that wins aren't a QB stat in the NFL (ask NFL coaches and GM's if they agree with that) are the ones being obtuse. NFL QB's don't get paid 1/4th of the cap for nothing. They are the ones who keep GM's and coaches in jobs for years at a time. The ones who don't have them? They're the ones who end up fired within 3 years.

Even then, I'm not sure what we are allowed to use as QB stats because offensive performance and just raw passing numbers get dismissed just as easily around here these days if it doesn't fit whatever narrative some fanbase is pushing. Minshew put up similar passing stats to Lawrence, similar fumble stats. He was worse in like one thing, sack rate. That means it's a joke to compare the two.

The joke is oohing and aahing over everything positive a guy does because he was a high draft pick. Lawrence has a long way to go.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

They were posting stats showing he was top 10 in certain categories.  That is a wholly different thing than arguing that he, as he is, is a top 10 QB.  I don't remember seeing anyone making that argument in the last 10 or more pages.

If the metric is "which QB would you want to win the next game?", I'd still have him top 10. But I can't make a good statistical case for it. Betting on talent and improvement on a very talented guy who is already improving seems reasonable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I can only laugh at the number of people looking to crown the QB of a 4-7 football team because he had one big quarter against a team that has blown leads just like that all year to such illustrious QB's as Daniel Jones and Jacoby Brissett. Oh, and he looked solid against the Raiders...

The Ravens had allowed 6 passing TD’s in their last 7 games…..

and I thought he only had one good quarter against the Ravens?

Edited by KhanYouDigIt
  • Like 1