Week 4 GDT: Bears @ Giants, 10/2/22, 12:00 CT

beardown3231

Someone please explain this to me?

2nd and 6. We run an empty set with 1 WR off the practice squad, our 3rd string RB, and our 3rd and 4th string TEs.  Where's Mooney?  How the hell do you run a empty set with 3 TEs and not use your best WR or even your best RB?

WTF.png

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

2nd and 6. We run an empty set with 1 WR off the practice squad, our 3rd string RB, and our 3rd and 4th string TEs.  Where's Mooney?  How the hell do you run a empty set with 3 TEs and not use your best WR or even your best RB?

WTF.png

I don't see how that isn't a quickpass to Kmet with Wesco being a lead blocker. Try to get outside and have Wesco stalk block 29. If Tonges and Ebner were switched I'd like the chance at a bubble screen to Ebner. 

Just a weird design regardless. I'd like to see the "ideal" package in that to at least get a better idea of what they're trying to do. 

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't see how that isn't a quickpass to Kmet with Wesco being a lead blocker. Try to get outside and have Wesco stalk block 29. If Tonges and Ebner were switched I'd like the chance at a bubble screen to Ebner. 

Just a weird design regardless. I'd like to see the "ideal" package in that to at least get a better idea of what they're trying to do. 

Because apparently our esteemed OC seems to think it's a good idea to run Wesco and TOnges on double deep post routes. You know....two guys who run a 40 in about 4.9 seconds. 

Btw, small correction. Ebner and ISM are switched in the image above. Which makes it even more of a weird design to have your only WR line up inside the the numbers.

Here are the routes on that play.

WTF.png

56 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

WTF.png

Excuse me I have question?

Who the heck is Smith-Marsette, Jake Torres, and Trevon Wesco?

Has there even been a worse set of 5 skill players on field at same time in NFL?  Like a strike year or an expansion team.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Excuse me I have question?

Who the heck is Smith-Marsette, Jake Torres, and Trevon Wesco?

Has there even been a worse set of 5 skill players on field at same time in NFL?  Like a strike year or an expansion team.

A UDFA and 2 guys claimed off waivers.

At this point the Bears should be poaching other teams' practice squads every single week. They have nothing to lose.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

A UDFA and 2 guys claimed off waivers.

At this point the Bears should be poaching other teams' practice squads every single week. They have nothing to lose.

Andy Isabella was cut today by the Cards.... I'd be grabbing him ASAP.  His career hasn't remotely lived up to his draft status, but he was an ultra productive deep ball guy with legitimate 4.3 speed coming out.  Plenty of potential reward for minimal risk, especially when no one else is really showing out yet.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Andy Isabella was cut today by the Cards.... I'd be grabbing him ASAP.  His career hasn't remotely lived up to his draft status, but he was an ultra productive deep ball guy with legitimate 4.3 speed coming out.  Plenty of potential reward for minimal risk, especially when no one else is really showing out yet.

I just mentioned this in another thread. He absolutely could do no worse than what we have.

Being a WR in NFL isn't just about skill and talent.  You still need practice on your routes within a play and timing with QB.

Just throwing randos in with Fields is a terrible situation to be in.

Honestly hate to live in past, but If our starting 3 WRs were Cooper, Chark and Mooney, then we drafted Pickens who fell in our lap twice I would feel 100% better now and in near future.   That was very possible scenario this offseason and wasn't too expensive.

Picking up castoffs and UDFAs to be your mainline starters is almost never a winning formula for success.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Being a WR in NFL isn't just about skill and talent.  You still need practice on your routes within a play and timing with QB.

Just throwing randos in with Fields is a terrible situation to be in.

Honestly hate to live in past, but If our starting 3 WRs were Cooper, Chark and Mooney, then we drafted Pickens who fell in our lap twice I would feel 100% better now and in near future.   That was very possible scenario this offseason and wasn't too expensive.

Picking up castoffs and UDFAs to be your mainline starters is almost never a winning formula for success.

Agreed, but I'm hoping someone over the last 3 quarters justifies an extension. This year is dead in the water. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed, but I'm hoping someone over the last 3 quarters justifies an extension. This year is dead in the water. 

I feel like confidence is important to a young QB.   They have to take lumps by learning to play because everyone has to go through that at beginning..  But it is better to have good players around them to help make things easier.

Having a young QB learning with bad talent is a bad combo and a bad plan.  Why expansion QBs fail aside from special year with Carolina and Jacksonville where they were given more players to choose from existing rosters and got to hit ground running.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I feel like confidence is important to a young QB.   They have to take lumps by learning to play because everyone has to go through that at beginning..  But it is better to have good players around them to help make things easier.

Having a young QB learning with bad talent is a bad combo and a bad plan.  Why expansion QBs fail aside from special year with Carolina and Jacksonville where they were given more players to choose from existing rosters and got to hit ground running.

Feels like having that 1 top WR is really important for a young QB. It gives you that "default option" who will consistently get open. Gets you those 2-3 plays per drive where the ball comes out decisively. Your QB isn't scanning through 3-4 options every play.

If you look at offenses around the league, it seems like WR talent is driving successful passing offense, possibly more than QB play.

• Like 2