Week 4 Games

Striker

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

nflpa having ability to intervene and rapidly appeal for players they are concerned about seems most reasonable to me.

hard to get more reasonable than an independent neurologist though. hard to understand how they didn't make the diagnosis, but the thursday concussion is not evidence that sunday was a concussion. sunday was water under the bridge at that point.

Do you know that they are independent? They might be from the team… but not the league. And it’s not like the league doesn’t have financial reasons for Thursday night football to be great. Tua makes that game better.

And look I get from the protocol and how “they” diagnosed it makes Sunday a non factor into Thursday. BUT I also live in the reality where I have eyes and basic problem solving skills and can tell you… they are related. Why do you think it’s such a sh*t storm right now? Because the second it happened everyone remembered Sunday and the questions around that and was like…hmm yeah he probably shouldn’t be playing.

Guarantee you Tua doesn’t play next game, regardless the test after all this. Why? Because it’s better for the nfl and Miami that he doesn’t now.

So many people on the talk shows mentioned all the ways how the team, player, whoever could skirt the protocols. This Tua things is the storm that it is because of how crazy obvious it was. Dude grabbed his head on Sunday, walked around like a drunk, THE TEAM first reported head injury!, then changed it to back. Then the team and doctors said well that’s good enough… in four days play and we got what happened last night.

The only saving grace is the science on concussions and diagnosing them is still very new and not perfect. But most would argue than it’s better to be safe than sorry. Pull Tua from Sunday. And give him a week. They didn’t do that.

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No, they have 9 homes games because the NFC has 9 this year. We should have 9 but one of ours in London. Minny's London game is a road game for them, hence 7 true road games instead of 8.

Okay my bad lol.i thought you were saying because it isn't in NO it's like a home game lol

I should know this, a Vikings fan started a thread on it trying to say we had it better than them and got corrected by me right away

40 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Do you know that they are independent? They might be from the team… but not the league. And it’s not like the league doesn’t have financial reasons for Thursday night football to be great. Tua makes that game better.

And look I get from the protocol and how “they” diagnosed it makes Sunday a non factor into Thursday. BUT I also live in the reality where I have eyes and basic problem solving skills and can tell you… they are related. Why do you think it’s such a sh*t storm right now? Because the second it happened everyone remembered Sunday and the questions around that and was like…hmm yeah he probably shouldn’t be playing.

Guarantee you Tua doesn’t play next game, regardless the test after all this. Why? Because it’s better for the nfl and Miami that he doesn’t now.

So many people on the talk shows mentioned all the ways how the team, player, whoever could skirt the protocols. This Tua things is the storm that it is because of how crazy obvious it was. Dude grabbed his head on Sunday, walked around like a drunk, THE TEAM first reported head injury!, then changed it to back. Then the team and doctors said well that’s good enough… in four days play and we got what happened last night.

The only saving grace is the science on concussions and diagnosing them is still very new and not perfect. But most would argue than it’s better to be safe than sorry. Pull Tua from Sunday. And give him a week. They didn’t do that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/09/30/nfl-concussion-protocol-steps-return-play-tua-tagovailoa/8135320001/

by design the neurologist is independent. of course i can't rule out corruption.

if the nflpa had the position that it is better safe than sorry, they could have advocated for that. 

the logic of 'he plays to make money' vs. 'its better for the nfl for him not to play now' is like having cake and eating it too.

the hit last night was hard and could have concussed him regardless of sunday.

my eyes like juwann winfree but i know i'm not an nfl GM

46 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/09/30/nfl-concussion-protocol-steps-return-play-tua-tagovailoa/8135320001/

by design the neurologist is independent. of course i can't rule out corruption.

if the nflpa had the position that it is better safe than sorry, they could have advocated for that. 

the logic of 'he plays to make money' vs. 'its better for the nfl for him not to play now' is like having cake and eating it too.

the hit last night was hard and could have concussed him regardless of sunday.

my eyes like juwann winfree but i know i'm not an nfl GM

No… because circumstances change. After Sunday the party line was back injury, back injury. So they had cover to play him. So they did.

After Thursday night… they don’t. Had Tua not gotten concussed on thursday, than sunday would faded away and no one would of pushed hard to find out if bad protocol happened.

Look they want the best players playing… period. Full stop. The issue is… because they handled this so outrageously bad, the best PR move for the league and Miami RIGHT NOW is to hold out Tua, for a reasonable time.

I mean, I’m sure any doctor would have a hard time approving him to play anytime soon given the ugliness. 

They gambled… and it blew up in their face, all parties. Tua, Miami, NFL, NFLPA

14 minutes ago, Green19 said:

No… because circumstances change. After Sunday the party line was back injury, back injury. So they had cover to play him. So they did.

After Thursday night… they don’t. Had Tua not gotten concussed on thursday, than sunday would faded away and no one would of pushed hard to find out if bad protocol happened.

Look they want the best players playing… period. Full stop. The issue is… because they handled this so outrageously bad, the best PR move for the league and Miami RIGHT NOW is to hold out Tua, for a reasonable time.

I mean, I’m sure any doctor would have a hard time approving him to play anytime soon given the ugliness. 

They gambled… and it blew up in their face, all parties. Tua, Miami, NFL, NFLPA

I'm hoping for the best for Tua health wise and also hoping the Dolphins get a big, nasty fine to include loss of draft pick for lying about the concussion Sunday. 

I think Tua should sit for a while, no neurosurgeon, so I'm not sure how long that would be.  2, 3, 4 weeks, maybe longer?

The Dolphins won't be much the worse for wear as Teddy is about as good as Tua. Given the WR's the Dolphins have the show should go on. 

30 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm hoping for the best for Tua health wise and also hoping the Dolphins get a big, nasty fine to include loss of draft pick for lying about the concussion Sunday. 

I think Tua should sit for a while, no neurosurgeon, so I'm not sure how long that would be.  2, 3, 4 weeks, maybe longer?

The Dolphins won't be much the worse for wear as Teddy is about as good as Tua. Given the WR's the Dolphins have the show should go on. 

the whole point of the system is diffusion of responsibility, i don't see any reason the nfl punishes the dolphins. medical doctor should have his license reviewed by a board as someone said, and he(or she) should be questioning their own judgment.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

the whole point of the system is diffusion of responsibility, i don't see any reason the nfl punishes the dolphins. medical doctor should have his license reviewed by a board as someone said, and he(or she) should be questioning their own judgment.

I thought someone said, the dolphins doctor cleared him as well. Anybody watching upstairs should have called down and said, Tua's out of it. These are human beings, and their mentality is to play, almost no matter what. Sometimes, they need the whole organization protecting them from themselves. That didn't happen last Sunday. 

Edited by Old Guy

Just now, Old Guy said:

I thought someone said, the dolphins doctor cleared him as well. Anybody watching upstairs should have called down and said, Tua's out of it. These are human beings, and their mentality is to play. Sometimes, they need the whole organization protecting them from themselves. That didn't happen last Sunday. 

multiple doctors share an opinion, which diffuses the responsibility and will make a board review of licensure unlikely to lead to anything. by design.

No power due to Ian, so a late start to things.....

Green Bay (H) over New England
Minnesota over New Orleans (H)
Cleveland over Atlanta (H)
Dallas (H) over Washington
Detroit (H) over Seattle
Indianapolis (H) over Tennessee
New York Giants (H) over Chicago
Philadelphia (H) over Jacksonville
New York Jets over Pittsburgh (H)
Buffalo over Baltimore (H)
Los Angeles Chargers over Houston (H)
Arizona over Carolina (H)
Las Vegas (H) over Denver
Kansas City over Tampa Bay (H)
Los Angeles Rams over San Francisco (H)

Week 4 Results :  11 - 4
Season Total :  
38 - 24

NFC Playoff Picture:
1.  Eagles    3-0
2.  Vikings  3-1
3.  Bucs      2-2
4.  Niners   2-2
5. Cowboys 3-1
6.  Giants    3-1
7.  Packers  3-1

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

No power due to Ian, so a late start to things.....

Green Bay (H) over New Eng;and
Minnesota over New England  New Orleans(H)
Cleveland over Atlanta (H)
Dallas (H) over Washington
Detroit (H) over Seattle
Indianapolis (H) over Tennessee
New York Giants (H) over Chicago
Philadelphia (H) over Jacksonville
New York Jets over Pittsburgh
Buffalo over Baltimore (H)
Los Angeles Chargers over Houston (H)
Arizona over Carolina (H)
Las Vegas (H) over Denver
Kansas City over Tampa Bay (H)
Los Angeles Rams over San Francisco (H)

Week 4 Results : 
Season Total :  
27 - 20

NFC Playoff Picture:
1.  Eagles    3-0
2.  Rams     2-1
3.  Vikings  2-1
4.  Bucs      2-1
5.  Packers  2-1
6.  Cowboys  2-1
7.  Giants       2-1

New England is playing twice this weekend and losing both? 😉

The good news is you must not have gotten the worst of Ian, or you wouldn't be here talking. 

Edited by Old Guy

4 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

...the hit last night was hard and could have concussed him regardless of sunday.

I agree with you, Hokie.  They have a process that involves an independent neurologist, and the independent neurologist cleared him.  I don't assume that there was corruption involved.  

1. Perhaps the independent neurologist is corrupt?  Sure, we can hypothesize that, it's not impossible.  But I'd not assume so?
  2. Maybe the independent neurologist is inept?  That's possible too. 
  3. Perhaps the independent neurologist was perfectly responsible and honest, and perfectly competent?  He used existing evaluation tools appropriately, and he made a reasonable diagnosis based on what the evaluation seemed to show? 
  4. But perhaps evaluation tools for concussions are imperfect?  Both the indy and the team doctor ran industry-standard tests, and read the tests correctly; but the test results just failed to show the concussion?  Not all medical problems are readily recognized by existing procedures.  
  5. Perhaps it was a coincidence?  He got hammered yesterday; perhaps yesterday's thing was independent of Sunday's?  

There may be some evil and malfeasance involved.  But I don't know that it's necessary to assume so.  

Just saw the Tua sack.....so whats all the hullabaloo about? Is there some argument that his injury last week had any effect on how this sack went down?
Personally, I thought he suffered a concussion last week. The way he wobbled didnt look anything like a lower back injury to me - but that said, the way he was whipped to the ground on Thursday was enough IMO to injury him regardless of what happened last week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Just saw the Tua sack.....so whats all the hullabaloo about? Is there some argument that his injury last week had any effect on how this sack went down?
Personally, I thought he suffered a concussion last week. The way he wobbled didnt look anything like a lower back injury to me - but that said, the way he was whipped to the ground on Thursday was enough IMO to injury him regardless of what happened last week.

No issues with the tackle. The issue is should he have been playing after what clearly looked like a concussion 4 days ago.