Week 4 Games

Striker

So I just watched the Tua injury...

Am I the only one who thinks it "doesn't matter" whether or not he was improperly cleared? 

Any human being that took that tackle whether or not they have ever had a concussion prior would have been knocked out the exact same way.

I've watched wrestling most of my life and that's literally the most effective finishing move (way to believably knock someone out) I've ever seen meaning nobody can even imagine a more over the top way to drop someone on their head. 

I've watched UFC most of my life. If someone made that tackle in the ring it would go down as the GOAT KO.

Long story short there's nothing you can actually regulate in the sport of football to avoid that happening. 

8 hours ago, Sandy said:

Awful take. This isn't a ******* video game. These are real people were talking about.

Take it out of the players hands when it's as obvious as it was each of the past two games. If we can tell from our couches that something isn't right then we should count on the NFL to have a system where the players can't sneak past the protocols. These are human ******* beings.

If you take it out of the players hands, it will increase the downplaying of symptoms. 

Again, how is that helpful to institute a minimum number of days / games missed when players would then lie about symptoms / severity?

8 hours ago, Green19 said:

Not happy about it… though some on the forum want to believe the medical experts that said it was a back.

Im just saying, when you have casual football fans that can clearly see Tua had some head injury and the experts can’t, they need to be remove because they clearly can’t do the job that needs to be done.

Its not about believing or not believing. Its about letting experts do their job. NFLPA had monday through wednesday to line up experts that disagreed, and find errors in the documentation/decision making. We dont yet know the nature of the errors. 

The point I was making is that medical doctors should be making the judgment calls with all information available to them. 

A precedent of forcibly benching players based on the eye balls of the masses is untenable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

So I just watched the Tua injury...

Am I the only one who thinks it "doesn't matter" whether or not he was improperly cleared? 

Any human being that took that tackle whether or not they have ever had a concussion prior would have been knocked out the exact same way.

I've watched wrestling most of my life and that's literally the most effective finishing move (way to believably knock someone out) I've ever seen meaning nobody can even imagine a more over the top way to drop someone on their head. 

I've watched UFC most of my life. If someone made that tackle in the ring it would go down as the GOAT KO.

Long story short there's nothing you can actually regulate in the sport of football to avoid that happening. 

That is what I have been saying.  That was going to take out all but the luckiest of guys.  To bring it to pro wrestling terms, that is pretty much what a back suplex is supposed to do, if it were real.  He had his head, neck and shoulders slammed into the ground.  And I think if this happened in week 9, people wouldn't be as upset, but since he went down the week before too, it is a super huge deal. 

It sucks to see things like what happened with Tua, but it's always been an inherent risk of the sport.  Other than taking even more drastic actions to remove the violence from the sport, I see no practical way to avoid it.  Players will always downplay concussions.  Until there is an accurate way to determine the severity, deciding the recovery time will be a guessing game.

That being said, additional steps to improve/enforce the protocols are needed.  Any process that allowed Tua to return to the BUF game is clearly broken.  Off the top of my head, I would say maybe have separate evaluators for the league and NFLPA.  Each of them would evaluate the player independent of the other, and both would need to sign off on the player before he is allowed to return to the field.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

It sucks to see things like what happened with Tua, but it's always been an inherent risk of the sport.  Other than taking even more drastic actions to remove the violence from the sport, I see no practical way to avoid it.  Players will always downplay concussions.  Until there is an accurate way to determine the severity, deciding the recovery time will be a guessing game.

That being said, additional steps to improve/enforce the protocols are needed.  Any process that allowed Tua to return to the BUF game is clearly broken.  Off the top of my head, I would say maybe have separate evaluators for the league and NFLPA.  Each of them would evaluate the player independent of the other, and both would need to sign off on the player before he is allowed to return to the field.

This assumes a clear relationship between severity and recovery time, which may also be subject to huge individual differences. 

Agreed about seperate evaluators. If you can have a league office available to review challengable plays, just have a panel of neurologists in NYC doing the same. 

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is what I have been saying.  That was going to take out all but the luckiest of guys.  To bring it to pro wrestling terms, that is pretty much what a back suplex is supposed to do, if it were real.  He had his head, neck and shoulders slammed into the ground.  And I think if this happened in week 9, people wouldn't be as upset, but since he went down the week before too, it is a super huge deal. 

Yeah, for me the CIN hit has never been the issue.  That is very likely going to take Tua out regardless of what happened the prior weekend.   It's always been the BUF game that has been the problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Doubt we're getting any help today from New Orleans. 

Nope.  We just have to take care of business on our own end.  I don't think the Vikings are a 15-2 type of juggernaut, so we will have our chances to catch up.  But that is the consequence of never showing up week 1.

Year 1: Rodgers

Year 2: Defense

Year 3: ST

Year 4: Week 1

MLF fixes one thing at a time

EDIT: Dang, this is already year 4.  He must have fixed something I missed.  I guess fixing week 1 waits until year 5

Edited by Mazrimiv

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

If you take it out of the players hands, it will increase the downplaying of symptoms. 

Again, how is that helpful to institute a minimum number of days / games missed when players would then lie about symptoms / severity?

They already do lie. I don't know what people expect to happen. Every concussion is different, judging the severity of them is almost impossible, if the player feels like lying about his symptoms there's not much the training staff can do to say no.

3 minutes ago, StatKing said:

They already do lie. I don't know what people expect to happen. Every concussion is different, judging the severity of them is almost impossible, if the player feels like lying about his symptoms there's not much the training staff can do to say no.

I agree and deal with athletes regularly downplaying their symptoms from ankle injuries to concussion/head injuries.  

The concussion protocol has criterion based steps that players need to pass in order to move forward in the protocol and recovery process.  Some players will clear in a week, other 2-4+ weeks.  

Setting a minimum number of games/ days would very likely lead to players hiding symptoms from minor- moderate issues to ensure they don't " risk" missing time.  That isn't a positive step forward in the concussion management process.