Week 4 Games

Striker

9 hours ago, Reaper said:

I don’t believe he was ever in the protocol. So he gets hit looks like a boxer out on his feet then he leaves the game. Everyone who saw it said oh concision except Tua may have said no my back. Do Drs take the players word for it? Not sure what happens if the player says no my back hurts not my head; I’m specualting that statement lead to  concussion not really being looked at hard.

In theory, the player goes through a series of physical and cognitive tests that are compared to baseline responses that should already be logged for each player.  By all accounts, Tua was put through those test and passed them.  I have no idea what the actual elements of the test would be.

13 hours ago, squire12 said:

Are you wanting the concussion protocol and proper testing to play out as they are set up or do you want a mandatory minimum days held out if a player is concussed?

I think the more you learn about brain trauma a concussion should be a week off minimum. Two in one season should be longer. You look at the effect of CTE on these guys long-term, more emphasis needs to be put on precaution. I know that is a problem when coaches and GM's are under so much scrutiny to win and win in a short amount of time getting into their positions.

I'm with the poster, don't remember which one, who said the NFL as we know it won't last 30 more years. I think the pro-bowl flag football deal is an effort to make that extremely popular and transition within a few decades. Personally, I don't see flag football ever becoming a big thing. I could see soccer taking the place of football though. 

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think the more you learn about brain trauma a concussion should be a week off minimum. Two in one season should be longer. You look at the effect of CTE on these guys long-term, more emphasis needs to be put on precaution. I know that is a problem when coaches and GM's are under so much scrutiny to win and win in a short amount of time getting into their positions.

Are you also proposing that for other injuries?

Setting a minimum days off/ games missed moves players to under report their symptoms.

Criterion based return is a much better process than universal minimum days off.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Setting a minimum days off/ games missed moves players to under report their symptoms.

Criterion based return is a much better process than universal minimum days off.

I guy can walk and live a productive life with a limp. They can't with CTE.

I played my senior year in college basketball on a pretty badly sprained right ankle. They put what they called at the time an air cast on it. I could walk, normal, run and move laterally, sort of. Without it I was on crutches or limping. Ankle has never been the same, but I can do most everything I want. Also, I can remember everything, like my child's name. Something Junior Seau couldn't do at the end of his life.

Comparing any other injury, other than spinal injuries to head injuries is not apple to apples in football. Spinal injuries also usually come about due to a hit in the head. 

MIAMI -- The unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in clearing Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa during Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills has been fired after it was found he made "several mistakes" in his evaluation, a league source told ESPN.

The source said the NFL Players Association exercised its right to dismiss the consultant. The NFLPA and the league each have the right to fire a UNC without agreement from the other party.

His fault, or a scapegoat?

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I guy can walk and live a productive life with a limp. They can't with CTE.

I played my senior year in college basketball on a pretty badly sprained right ankle. They put what they called at the time an air cast on it. I could walk, normal, run and move laterally, sort of. Without it I was on crutches or limping. Ankle has never been the same, but I can do most everything I want. Also, I can remember everything, like my child's name. Something Junior Seau couldn't do at the end of his life.

Comparing any other injury, other than spinal injuries to head injuries is not apple to apples in football. Spinal injuries also usually come about due to a hit in the head. 

CTE is not a 1 hit type development process.  It is accumulation over many, many hits ( years) .  

If you are advocating for minimum games/ days being out following a concussion, be prepared for pushback from players that clear symptoms prior to that minimum time.  Players don't like losing roster bonuses, incentive bonuses, etc.

Players will hide / lie about symptoms once you mandate a minimum number of games/ days missed.  How is that beneficial?

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

His fault.  IF he indeed made those mistakes.  If I had my guess, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  We can debate on how much negligence there was following the first injury.  But this is probably piling a lot of blame on a single person, who is likely just a single part of the operation responsible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

His fault.  IF he indeed made those mistakes.  If I had my guess, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  We can debate on how much negligence there was following the first injury.  But this is probably piling a lot of blame on a single person, who is likely just a single part of the operation responsible.

Also, the NFL is admitting Tua had a concussion last Sunday which means he should not have been in uniform Thursday night. I don't know a legitimate doctor who would have allowed an athlete to participate in a full contact sport 4 days after a concussion. 

This guy's reputation is on the line now. I wonder what documentation he has to protect himself. Not sure we've heard the last of this. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Hard to make a judgement without knowing the details of what the “several mistakes” were.  If he let things slide that should be red-flags, then the firing was totally justified.  If he didn't sign some forms in the correct spot, that sounds more like the scapegoat scenario.

The "it was a back injury vs BUF" part of this story is what seems so odd to me.  I don't know what kind of back injury produces the reaction Tua had vs BUF, and then 30 minutes later it's fine.  So fine in fact that playing QB in an NFL game is not an issue.  When I tweak my back, I'm operating in slow motion for the rest of the day, and probably the next several days as well.  Having Tua return to the BUF game after tweaking a back injury doesn't seem much better than after a head injury, especially for a coach waxing poetic about how seriously he takes the health of his players.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

“MIAMI -- The unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in clearing Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa during Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills has been fired after it was found he made "several mistakes" in his evaluation, a league source told ESPN.“

wait… I was told he had a back injury. Why would the consultant get fired? It was a back!

Oh wait… the obvious head trauma was obvious and they screwed up. Whether it was on purpose or not is TBD.

Edited by Green19

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

“MIAMI -- The unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in clearing Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa during Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills has been fired after it was found he made "several mistakes" in his evaluation, a league source told ESPN.“

wait… I was told he had a back injury. Why would the consultant get fired? It was a back!

Oh wait… the obvious head trauma was obvious and they screwed up. Whether it was on purpose or not is TBD.

Not the coolest thing in the world to be happy about being right about lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

CTE is not a 1 hit type development process.  It is accumulation over many, many hits ( years) .  

If you are advocating for minimum games/ days being out following a concussion, be prepared for pushback from players that clear symptoms prior to that minimum time.  Players don't like losing roster bonuses, incentive bonuses, etc.

Players will hide / lie about symptoms once you mandate a minimum number of games/ days missed.  How is that beneficial?

Awful take. This isn't a ******* video game. These are real people were talking about.

Take it out of the players hands when it's as obvious as it was each of the past two games. If we can tell from our couches that something isn't right then we should count on the NFL to have a system where the players can't sneak past the protocols. These are human ******* beings.

5 hours ago, Norm said:

Not the coolest thing in the world to be happy about being right about lol

Not happy about it… though some on the forum want to believe the medical experts that said it was a back.

Im just saying, when you have casual football fans that can clearly see Tua had some head injury and the experts can’t, they need to be remove because they clearly can’t do the job that needs to be done.

17 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

In theory, the player goes through a series of physical and cognitive tests that are compared to baseline responses that should already be logged for each player.  By all accounts, Tua was put through those test and passed them.  I have no idea what the actual elements of the test would be.

And all the players know what the baseline tests are used for, so they intentionally do poorly on them. 

• Like 1