THURSDAY NIGHT FOOSEBALL- INDY COMES TO MILE HIGH!

BullsandBroncos

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

Mathis was horrible last night. He played well when PS2 was hurt though. 

Bolles and Darby both save us $10m to cut after the season. Tough to justify bringing them back at those salaries. 

No. Just no. 

They’ve both played fine, more than fine, this season. When you don’t have draft picks you don’t go cutting good players at critical positions and create more holes on your team.

Furthermore, we have the sixth most cap space in the league right now and next year we’re projected to have $23m in space and that’s figure balloons to $34m when we cut Glasgow - who does deserve to be cut - and free up another $11m. 

You know your stuff better than that, Paul. 

Just now, anewdawn said:

Honestly there is a lot to be upset about but to me Jeudy upsets me the most.  Oh we see an fn glimmer here and there but overall he is an fn dud!!  He was supposed to be elite - again elite and yet he is so far from it.  I took so much flak at the gym today but I did talk to the hockey guys about the NHL forgiveness policy - when you get rid of a bad contract and spread out the dollars over a certain amount of years.  I think the NFL should do this and hopefully the Walton's think of it and push for it.  Like maybe your allowed to do this once every five years and spread the dollar damage out over ten years making it impossible to do more than once every five years.  I guess I'm just desperate at this point and want help.  Why did we sign him so early on?  Should have made him prove his worth - there were rumours and Seattle moved him for a reason!  NFL please come round to something like this.   PS who is starting the qb thread back up?  Sadly, lmao.............I am in a bad place, we likely all are.............

It really is insane in hindsight that they couldn’t at least wait a month or two on the Russ contract. George Paton is staring down the barrel of three potentially disastrous decisions this off-season: the Hackett hire, the Russ trade and the Russ contract. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No. Just no. 

They’ve both played fine, more than fine, this season. When you don’t have draft picks you don’t go cutting good players at critical positions and create more holes on your team.

Furthermore, we have the sixth most cap space in the league right now and next year we’re projected to have $23m in space and that’s figure balloons to $34m when we cut Glasgow - who does deserve to be cut - and free up another $11m. 

I love Darby as a player but he never stays healthy. Easy call to move on IMO.

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No. Just no. 

Bolles is a no-brainer to keep.  Fracture recovery that's uncomplicated, no reason to expect he won't be 100 percent in 2023.  And a 100 percent Bolles, while not an elite LT, is more than worth saving 10M more.

Darby is a no-brainer to cut.   ACL recoveries are NOT linear.  The first year back is where you don't have explosion, change of direction and burst.   For a TE that isn't shifty, or a guard, or even a QB that's not mobile, you can live with that.  But that skill set's massive for a CB.   It basically means you're paying for a version of Darby that's not his usual self.   Hard pass.

Darby will have everything back in those areas by 18 months.   Trust me on that one, it's well-documented in recovery literature.  We're seeing this with Sutton now, and a big reason why he didn't flash last year (QB play masked it, but Sutton's explosiveness / burst wasn't the same being only 12 months post-ACL).    Guys like AP and Jerry Rice lost it, too - but they were GOAT's, being 90-percent GOAT is why you still succeed in year 1.   Darby's not that guy (Sutton isn't either - still great, but not GOAT obv).   So if we don't have to pay 10M for a lesser version of Darby, that's an easy call IMO.   If you really want him back - you can easily convince him to take a pay cut.  But at 10M more, he's otherwise gone IMO.

It's an absolute no-brainer to let Darby go - you're not getting peak Darby next year, and his injury risk for a cascade injury is sky high.   I know it sucks, but the business angle AND football team construction angle supports this given what we know about ACL recovery and return of full athletic skill sets (players are back playing at 10-12 months, but full skill set for 18 months).

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Bolles is a no-brainer to keep.  Fracture recovery that's uncomplicated, no reason to expect he won't be 100 percent in 2023.  And a 100 percent Bolles, while not an elite LT, is more than worth saving 10M more.

Darby is a no-brainer to cut.   ACL recoveries are NOT linear.  The first year back is where you don't have explosion, change of direction and burst.   It's massive for a CB.   It basically means you're paying for a version of Darby that's not his usual self.   Hard pass.

Darby will have everything back in those areas by 18 months.   Trust me on that one.   It's well-documented.  We're seeing with Sutton now, and a big reason why he didn't flash last year (QB play masked it, but Sutton's explosiveness / burst wasn't the same being only 12 months post-ACL).    Guys like AP and Jerry Rice lost it, too - but they were GOAT's, being 90-percent GOAT is why you still succeed.   Darby's not that guy (Sutton isn't either - still great, but not GOAT obv). 

It's an absolute no-brainer to let Darby go - you're not getting peak Darby next year, and his injury risk for a cascade injury is sky high.   I know it sucks, but the business angle AND football team construction angle supports this.

On second thought, with Darby, you’re correct. My mother in law has this gut hatred for Bolles and I keep trying to tell her he’s not Gary Zimmerman or Ryan Clady and (still) does commit too many penalties but he’s still an elite athlete, in his prime, respected in the locker room LT and those don’t grow on trees. 

If we want to bid farewell to Darby after the year, fine, but not Bolles. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It really is insane in hindsight that they couldn’t at least wait a month or two on the Russ contract. George Paton is staring down the barrel of three potentially disastrous decisions this off-season: the Hackett hire, the Russ trade and the Russ contract. 

even if Wilson has or does suffer some decline, he is far, far better than anything we have had since Manning. He is here for a minimum of 4 years and in reality his cap hit will be manageable going forward. The biggest issue is that we are wasting a year with his cap hit at $17million. You cannot evaluate Wilson until you get the coaching side sorted - and that is a disaster at the moment - if we get a competent HC who knows how to run a team then I think Wilson can produce.

The draft picks don't bother me either - it is very difficult to hit on a QB in the draft - more often than not they flame out or become journeymen back-ups.

The big problem for Paton is the Hackett hire - and the sooner he acknowledges it and moves on to try and find a solution the better. I don't care about the optics of firing Hackett mid-season - the optics of being embarrassed week in and week out are far worse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It’s amazing that in all of this, Browning having a peak Von Miller game is totally forgotten. He was incredible last night.

For all the heat Paton is rightfully getting about hiring Hackett (and he deserves it) - him picking up Browning and Sterns last year was a massive home run.   No coincidence our pass rush disappeared when Browning left the game.   He and Sterns were absolute monsters last night.   First post after my L meltdown was handing both game balls - they were the best players on the field last night on both sides, bar none.

I have NOTHING but love for Kareem Jackson, but it's so clear Justin Simmons & Caden Sterns are going to be a top S duo for 2023.   And PJ Locke makes for a nice nickel 3rd safety, too.    

Paton's team construction has been amazing.    Just cut bait with the Hackopalypse Now decision, and move forward.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, jolly red giant said:

even if Wilson has or does suffer some decline, he is far, far better than anything we have had since Manning. He is here for a minimum of 4 years and in reality his cap hit will be manageable going forward. The biggest issue is that we are wasting a year with his cap hit at $17million. You cannot evaluate Wilson until you get the coaching side sorted - and that is a disaster at the moment - if we get a competent HC who knows how to run a team then I think Wilson can produce.

The draft picks don't bother me either - it is very difficult to hit on a QB in the draft - more often than not they flame out or become journeymen back-ups.

The big problem for Paton is the Hackett hire - and the sooner he acknowledges it and moves on to try and find a solution the better. I don't care about the optics of firing Hackett mid-season - the optics of being embarrassed week in and week out are far worse.

Too bad we didn’t hire Kyle Shanahan - like everyone wanted to - back in 2017. 

Friend of mine, a reporter you all know and respect, told me that when the coaches were introduced at the SNF game a few weeks ago, Kyle got a bigger round of applause (and not just from the smattering of Niners fans) than Hackett did. He said he thought about Tweeting it but didn’t want to embarrass Hackett, Paton and the new owners over a mistake made by people (Ellis and Elway) who are no longer here. 

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Agreed 100%. 

Classic saying that’s usually used to describe baseball pitchers who bust - million dollar arm and a 10-cent head - applies to Jeudy. 

The hype is all a bit confusing in hindsight when it comes to the talent though. Doesn't win contested balls. Isn't big. Doesn't have sick hands (not even taking the drops into account he does not snag balls). Dude doesn't look like a #1 receiver talent wise even if he does have some great route running and quick feet. 

5 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The hype is all a bit confusing in hindsight when it comes to the talent though. Doesn't win contested balls. Isn't big. Doesn't have sick hands (not even taking the drops into account he does not snag balls). Dude doesn't look like a #1 receiver talent wise even if he does have some great route running and quick feet. 

It’s ironic that Elway forever swore off drafting players from Alabama and then he finally relents and does take one, and with his top pick nonetheless, the guy is a bad-attitude bust.