THURSDAY NIGHT FOOSEBALL- INDY COMES TO MILE HIGH!

BullsandBroncos

8 hours ago, champ11 said:

This is true.

Their relationship is toxic with where the Broncos are at though. Hackett is trying to appease Russ and they are both operating like this is a functional football team. That 3rd and 4 call for the INT (100% on Russ for throw and decision) SHOULD have been a run call with where the game was at and how Russ had been playing. But it was not because Hackett was operating in a way he felt like he should be able to with Russ 

100%.

Wilson’s relationship with Seattle was ruined because Wilson didn’t think he was being treated like an elite QB.  Denver traded for him and said they’d treat him like the elite QB that he thinks he is.  Hackett is operating trying not to hurt Wilson’s ego.  

Denver has put Wilson in an Aaron Rodgers offense and he’s not Rodgers.   What’s driving me nuts is all of the throws within the pocket.  A lot of the issues with accuracy last night were a direct result of Wilson being 5’10” -5’11” and not being able to throw over the top of the line.  

Again.  We gave him a 5 year contract worth up to $250 million.   I said this back in 2015-2016 or whenever it happened and it turned out true.  The worst decision the Seahawks made was paying Wilson as the reason for their success during that period and letting the defense fall apart.  It wasn’t Wilson that fueled that Seattle run, it was everyone else.

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

George Paton isn’t going anywhere. If we did fire him, half the league lines up to hire him as GM. In 2 off-seasons he’s brought us Surtain, Javonte, Meinerz, Browning, Sterns, Randy Gregory, DJ Jones, plus he’s locked up a lot of our young core for years (Simmons, Sutton, Patrick), and even if the Wilson thing turns out to be a mistake I still admire him swinging for the fences at QB after half a decade of every journeyman you could care to name being trotted out year after year.

Paton is the single best thing about this franchise and even if Hackett is proven to be a mistake, he should be given an opportunity to correct that mistake and bring in another HC. 

If the number in column "L" is bigger than column "W" then you have not taken the right players. 

4 hours ago, French Fan said:

Another pathetic comment like this team !!!

The game was in Russ' hands because Javonte Williams was out and Gordon's fumble. You have not a single RB in the roster we can trust to lead the ground !!

This is Hackett fault that Wilson not throw a pass to KJ Hamler on 4th and 1 and WALK yes walk not run in the end zone ???????

You destroyed Drew Lock for less than that but a 10+ all star veteran you accept?

Every post I've put in referencing Wilson has said Russell Wilson lost the game.  Every one.  It doesn't change the fact that Hackett is part of the problem.   Honestly your weird fixation with Drew Lock is beyond weird. 

You can criticize Hackett for last night, and still say Russell Wilson lost the game.   Both statements are true.     But yes, by all means, throw Drew Lock in there.  I don't know if he's related to you, but OK. 

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The biggest problem of all though is that there’s no panic button to push on Russell Wilson. You can’t get all those draft picks back and you can’t really get out of his contract until 2026. We are 100% stuck with him. Is Hackett the guy we trust to fix him or do we need to go and bring in a guru that’s had success with him in the past? 

Fix him? Wilson is a 10 year veteran on the backend of his career. His success in the past was because of his ability to make plays off schedule with his legs. He's not the same athlete he was even 2 -3 years ago and he can't plays from the pocket consistently. That was never his game. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, French Fan said:

If the number in column "L" is bigger than column "W" then you have not taken the right players. 

This is simplistic garbage. 

The young players are fine. Quite good actually. Our performance this season is on Russell Wilson, Melvin Gordon and coaching ineptitude. 

That 2021 draft is an absolute home run. 

• Like 1

George Paton isn’t going anywhere. If we did fire him, half the league lines up to hire him as GM. In 2 off-seasons he’s brought us Surtain, Javonte, Meinerz, Browning, Sterns, Randy Gregory, DJ Jones, plus he’s locked up a lot of our young core for years (Simmons, Sutton, Patrick), and even if the Wilson thing turns out to be a mistake I still admire him swinging for the fences at QB after half a decade of every journeyman you could care to name being trotted out year after year.

Paton is the single best thing about this franchise and even if Hackett is proven to be a mistake, he should be given an opportunity to correct that mistake and bring in another HC. 

Agreed. They had to take a chance on Wilson. This year's QB class may end up being one of the worst ever.

Also, looks like Garrett Bolles has a broken leg, and could be out six weeks:

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1578247992590508033?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1578247992590508033|twgr^5a8e911523c72c21a3951603f1fca0d74b524211|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.footballsfuture.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fmikeklis%2Fstatus%2F1578247992590508033%3Fs%3D4626t%3DLUGBh31G77xOgfewUZhqrQ

Don't want anyone to be hurt, but don't mind seeing Anderson get a shot. I don't think that Bolles is long-term answer at LT.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

Paton hired an absolute rube in Hackett at least in part because he thought he could lure Aaron Rodgers. He didn't have the resume to support being a head coach. 

When the Rodgers idea falls apart, he sends 4 high draft picks to Seattle for Wilson who had clearly lost a step. To make matter worse, before he even plays a game in an orange uniform, they sign him to a $245 mil contract. Now they are stuck! Paton leveraged the future on an aging QB who's athletic ability is waning who can't play from the pocket.

Paton deserves a lot of blame for how this was handled. Hitting on a couple draft picks doesn't distract from the fact he poorly handled the coaching hire and acted desperately acquiring a QB Seattle was happy to see go. 

Wilson will play better, there is nowhere to go but up. But that trade and contract will have long term roster effects that could ultimately lead to a full rebuild. Paton will be held accountable.

Browning says his wrist is “fine.” So that’s good news. 

Losing Bolles hurts, say what you want, as he’s not Trent Williams but he’s way, way, way down the list of concerns so his injury is a big blow. 

It needs to be announced today that Klint Kubiak is taking over as play-caller. If Hackett doesn’t make that decision on his own than then George needs to make it for him. 

Long term, George needs to talk to Sean Payton. We have the money, we have the infrastructure, we have a QB with a similar skillset to the one with whom he won a super bowl, we have some pieces on the roster and George is very highly regarded around the league. Yeah there’s the Dallas rumors but we need to get in on it, George at least needs to make a swing and W-P should back him and provide a blank check if that’s what it takes. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

39 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

This is simplistic garbage. 

The young players are fine. Quite good actually. Our performance this season is on Russell Wilson, Melvin Gordon and coaching ineptitude. 

That 2021 draft is an absolute home run. 

To win SUPERBOWL your W need to be better than L correct me if i'm wrong ? 

Perhaps simplistic but there is no other possibility to win the biggest match

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Browning says his wrist is “fine.” So that’s good news. 

Losing Bolles hurts, say what you want, as he’s not Trent Williams but he’s way, way, way down the list of concerns so his injury is a big blow. 

It needs to be announced today that Klint Kubiak is taking over as play-caller. If Hackett doesn’t make that decision on his own than then George needs to make it for him. 

Long term, George needs to talk to Sean Payton. We have the money, we have the infrastructure, we have a QB with a similar skillset to the one with whom he won a super bowl, we have some pieces on the roster and George is very highly regarded around the league. Yeah there’s the Dallas rumors but we need to get in on it, George at least needs to make a swing and W-P should back him and provide a blank check if that’s what it takes. 

They hired Hackett to be the play caller. And he's collaborating with Wilson on the play calls. So does it really matter who is calling them? This is Wilson's offense at the end of the day. It's what he wants. 

There is a reason Pete pulled the plug on the "let Russ cook" agenda. He kept turning the ball over and Pete had enough. 

Sean Payton is under contract until 2024 first off. Second, Wilson is no similar at all to Brees except in height. Brees was an elite, deadly accurate pocket passer. Wilson used to be a mobile QB who could create. He's awful in the pocket and doesn't like to throw over the middle.

Sorry I've been out of pocket gents. We had our daughter ~ 1 week ago, so life has been a little hectic! 

Last night was pathetic. Just very, very pathetic. Hackett is completely over his head. If we get embarrassed on national TV again next week I think he'll be fired. I really do. The offense has put up: 16, 16, 9, 23, and 9 points through 5 games. Mase tweeted a fantastic stat that basically said statistically when we're in the red zone, it's more likely we will leave with ZERO points than score a TD, which is truly horrendous.

The OL is a sieve. It looks terrible. Guys in the backfield almost immediately. Russ was absolute trash last night. He cost us the game plain and simple. He should probably quit with the folksy "Let's Ride" BS and the self-absorbed hype and start getting results. This fanbase is already turning on him and will continue to do so. 

Now let's talk about Hackett. I am willing to say from a pure Xs and Os standpoint he's the worst coach I've seen in my life. His body language has changed noticeably - he looks tense and angry on the sidelines. It doesn't appear he's got any sort of grasp on game situations or the right thing to do. That they needed to help him by bringing someone in after 2 games is a very bad sign. The offense is just bad. Part of it is Russ being unable to hit wide open receivers, but the passing on 3rd and 4, when a FG almost assuredly wins you the game, and the 4th and 1 playcall out of shotgun (AGAIN), are just signs that he just doesn't seem to get it. His media gaggles are embarrassing. I would imagine the best odds are that he's canned after 1 year, I don't think the optics of the home fans booing for 70% of the game, counting down play clocks, and leaving a game that's going to overtime are in any way good, and the new ownership group is 100% going to take notice of that.

Conversely, and I'll end on a positive note. Our defense looks fantastic. Level of competition aside, the pass rush from Browning, Caden Sterns, Surtain, Chubb...they were playing out of their minds last night. Evero has clearly tapped into something there, and that's extremely encouraging to see.

• Like 3

The path forward is clear IMO. Fire Hackett and see what Evero is capable of in the interim role. He’s the best coach on this staff and if he has HC qualities you’ll find out. There is zero upside to promoting Capers. He did not sign up for 15-20 hour days being a leader of 50+ young men. Evero is the only option that makes sense. 

31 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Sorry I've been out of pocket gents. We had our daughter ~ 1 week ago, so life has been a little hectic! 

Last night was pathetic. Just very, very pathetic. Hackett is completely over his head. If we get embarrassed on national TV again next week I think he'll be fired. I really do. The offense has put up: 16, 16, 9, 23, and 9 points through 5 games. Mase tweeted a fantastic stat that basically said statistically when we're in the red zone, it's more likely we will leave with ZERO points than score a TD, which is truly horrendous.

The OL is a sieve. It looks terrible. Guys in the backfield almost immediately. Russ was absolute trash last night. He cost us the game plain and simple. He should probably quit with the folksy "Let's Ride" BS and the self-absorbed hype and start getting results. This fanbase is already turning on him and will continue to do so. 

Now let's talk about Hackett. I am willing to say from a pure Xs and Os standpoint he's the worst coach I've seen in my life. His body language has changed noticeably - he looks tense and angry on the sidelines. It doesn't appear he's got any sort of grasp on game situations or the right thing to do. That they needed to help him by bringing someone in after 2 games is a very bad sign. The offense is just bad. Part of it is Russ being unable to hit wide open receivers, but the passing on 3rd and 4, when a FG almost assuredly wins you the game, and the 4th and 1 playcall out of shotgun (AGAIN), are just signs that he just doesn't seem to get it. His media gaggles are embarrassing. I would imagine the best odds are that he's canned after 1 year, I don't think the optics of the home fans booing for 70% of the game, counting down play clocks, and leaving a game that's going to overtime are in any way good, and the new ownership group is 100% going to take notice of that.

Conversely, and I'll end on a positive note. Our defense looks fantastic. Level of competition aside, the pass rush from Browning, Caden Sterns, Surtain, Chubb...they were playing out of their minds last night. Evero has clearly tapped into something there, and that's extremely encouraging to see.

OK now if I could give 20 likes to this post, I'd spend them all here.   Wilson cost us the game last night, but the above problem is the biggest one we can address.   At the same time, the talent influx is just so encouraging.    Long-term, that's what will keep us in great shape.

Paton, though, can make mistakes - and his biggest was Hackett's hire.  The sign of truly great leaders is to own it, and address it swiftly - and not just cover for it.   I get it's an awful, awful decision to fire a coach at the end of their 1st year.   So firing a coach in-season is a disaster level decision.  No 2 ways about it.

But the status quo in keeping Hackett around is apocalyptic.   I keep referring to Hackett as Hackopalypse Now - because that's what he is as an OC and HC.  It's a total dumpster fire.   Freddie Kitchens and Urban Meyer (without the awful PR off-field stuff) level output with talent that should be at WORST league-average.    Red-zone ineptitude and 1Q gameplans that make no sense - and guess what, that's all Hackett's wheelhouse area.  It's literally what he's responsible for.     Russell Wilson was absolute a game-killer yesterday.   No 2 ways around it.   But he wasn't the problem in LV, he was on fire in the 1H - Hackett went away from the pass game when the O needed to stay on the field, and they got 17 yards in the first 4 drives in the 2H as a result.   They thought Mike Boone was the answer last week.    Week 1 we know about.   Week 2 Hackett couldn't get the plays in on time, and the RZ play calling was horrid.    Those weren't on Wilson.   That's ALL Hackett.     Wilson's not playing well - but again, Hackett's compounding the problem, not getting solutions in there.   

In a vacuum, if this was year 2, Hackett would likely be already fired today.   It's THAT bad.   The only reason he's not fired yet IMO is because of the year 1 rule.  But there are exceptions that prove the rule - this one sadly certainly looks to be that unicorn.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

They hired Hackett to be the play caller. And he's collaborating with Wilson on the play calls. So does it really matter who is calling them? This is Wilson's offense at the end of the day. It's what he wants. 

Then George needs to step in. I don't care if it bruises Russ' ego, at the end of the day, he's just a player, George is the GM and Greg Penner is the CEO. It's their call. 

Again, I have no idea if Klint is the answer, or even if he would be better than Hackett has been, but I do know the current arrangement isn't working and when that's the case in any aspect of life, you make changes. 

I don't care who your QB is - scoring the sum total of 9 points against the lump of soft brown smelly stuff that is the Indianapolis Colts is all on the HC. If a HC can't figure out a way to score more than 9 points against team that gave up 24 to the Jags, 20 to the Texans and 24 to the Titans - then something is seriously wrong along the sideline.

When you have a team over five games that scores 16, 16, 11 and 9 points in four of its first five games - with the talent we have - then that is all on the HC.

You have to wonder if Paton hired Hackett as plan A to get Rodgers - if it was then a huge red flag should have gone up when Rodgers chose to stay in GB. If Rodgers believed that Hackett was the guy then he would have come to Denver - but Hackett was good for a laugh and for playing darts - not for coaching the offence.

I had such high hopes - but if we still had Vic Fangio we probably would be 5-0 (with comfortable wins in the pocket). Sure we should go after Payton - but if I was Paton I would by a big bunch of flowers, get down on bended knee, apologies profusely and beg Dan Quinn to come to Denver. In the meantime Hackett should be sacked today - and for those of you who dread Capers taking over as interim HC - he established two expansion teams because he was a solid steady pair of hands - and that is exactly what Denver needs right now. Boot Hackett to the kerb and tell to take his side-kick with him - install Capers as a CEO HC for the rest of the season - give Klint Kubiak the reins on offence and see what he can do with them (ask his dad to come back as an advisor) - and try and build some momentum for next season. Seattle must be licking their chops now with a top 5/10 pick in the pipeline next draft.

Last point - Joe Ellis has an awful lot to answer for and is 99% responsible for what has happened - shafting Kyle and forcing Elway into hiring VJ (and then shafting Elway when he wanted to dump VJ and bring Mike back in to run the show). We have had six years of a dumpster fire because Ellis's ego got in the way. 

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 2