Week 5 GDT: Chargers vs Browns

MWil23

Who Wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• The Browns, obviously
    • The Chargers, obviously...what are you, crazy?
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Everyone loses because Mike steals everyone's souls

26 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah I have a feeling this was the band-aid that they're trying to trot out there. Woods won't get fired this year, sadly. This is our half-assed attempt to fix the defense. I don't expect this to warrant any positive results, but we'll see. Jacob Phillips isn't great, but he's not the reason we can't stop anyone.

It's the scheme, the run fits are horrible and teams know it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well you have one right here, I definitely think Joe Woods and our ST Coordinator has a big part of how bad we have been but I look at it from the perspective of if we had any competent head coach, we would be at least 4-1. Instead of making excuses for the guy, we had this same argument for Baker. He is what he is, a pretty good OC but managing everything else as a HC does, he sucks at and that is the exact reflection of what we are as a team currently. 

Look at a snapshot of the first 5 games, we had every opportunity to be 5-0 with at least average play from all positions, any coach worth his salt would at least be 4-1, he just showed to me that he can't even do basic fundamental things in critical situations to win a game that was gifted to you. That is a problem to me

I bet Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin or any competent coach could have come up with wins in the games we lost, I personally don't want a coach that clams up in pressure situations and this is what he is doing in my opinion even with Brissett.

Stop making excuses for this guy.... 

Preach

I think coaching is basically 4 or 5 important areas

1) Management of staff

2) Scheme

3) Discipline, accountability, consistency

4) Player development

5) Execution on Sundays

I think hes objectively a failure at managing his staff. I think his scheme offensively is great. I'm very underwhelmed by the player development and execution on Sundays. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well you have one right here, I definitely think Joe Woods and our ST Coordinator has a big part of how bad we have been but I look at it from the perspective of if we had any competent head coach, we would be at least 4-1. Instead of making excuses for the guy, we had this same argument for Baker. He is what he is, a pretty good OC but managing everything else as a HC does, he sucks at and that is the exact reflection of what we are as a team currently. 

Look at a snapshot of the first 5 games, we had every opportunity to be 5-0 with at least average play from all positions, any coach worth his salt would at least be 4-1, he just showed to me that he can't even do basic fundamental things in critical situations to win a game that was gifted to you. That is a problem to me

I bet Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin or any competent coach could have come up with wins in the games we lost, I personally don't want a coach that clams up in pressure situations and this is what he is doing in my opinion even with Brissett.

I still want to know why the ST coach is to blame. It’s not on him that the kicker shanked those kicks and it’s not his fault cooper just gave up on that onside kick. The only thing you can really attribute to a ST coach are the kickoff/punt return teams and how well they cover and block. And we haven’t given up any long returns and haven’t gotten any kicks or punts blocked. Preifer is middle of the road which is fine for a ST coach. 

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What excuses am I making?  The only specific issue you’ve stated is play calling and I pointed out our offense hasn’t been the issue.  

If you’re saying he should be taking control of the defense or ST or something, ok, I can accept he may need to be more involved there. 

I’m just wanting to know which coaching decisions other than a couple of play calls do you think he’s made in error? What do you mean by clamming up?  If anything I think most folks would argue he’s being overly aggressive at times. 

Most of the fan base seems to see things one way and you’re seeing it differently.  I’m just asking why?

32 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Preach

I think coaching is basically 4 or 5 important areas

1) Management of staff

2) Scheme

3) Discipline, accountability, consistency

4) Player development

5) Execution on Sundays

I think hes objectively a failure at managing his staff. I think his scheme offensively is great. I'm very underwhelmed by the player development and execution on Sundays. 

To me this looks like 5 different ways of saying he hasn’t fired the other coordinators.

I know we all want the HC to step in and start fixing ****, but I’m not sure that flies with the rest of the staff nor will it look good when you want to hire the next guy.

I’m not saying he can’t or shouldn’t do anything, he can and should, it’s fire the turds on his staff.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To me this looks like 5 different ways of saying he hasn’t fired the other coordinators.

I know we all want the HC to step in and start fixing ****, but I’m not sure that flies with the rest of the staff nor will it look good when you want to hire the next guy.

I’m not saying he can’t or shouldn’t do anything, he can and should, it’s fire the turds on his staff.

Hell, if he did, I would be impressed with him. He doesn't come off as a guy that takes things head on, he will come with the "gee, golly, gosh, we gotta get things together" type of approach. 

If I were a part of this front office, I would be trying to bring in Wade Phillips on as some type of consultant to Woods, also to bring SOME sort of leadership in the building, or at least attempt to, even if its via Zoom.

You have to try to shake something up, this isn't just going to get better out of the blue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm just saying.... We blamed Baker for last year, now what is the issue?

Joe Woods lol

We blamed woods for the first part of the year too btw

We lost the Jets game because our defense and ST allowed the opposing team to score 2 touchdowns in the final 90 seconds.

We lost to Atlanta because the defense allowed 2 consecutive TF drives in the 4th with a grand total of one pass being thrown.

We lost yesterday because a team that runs for 65 yards per game and hadn’t had a 100 yard rusher in a year ran for like 225.  Eckler averaged 11 yards per effin carry lol.

We damned near lost to a bad Panthers team by allowing 2 late scores on busted coverages.

Like, I’m not asking for ‘85 Bears performances week in, week out.  I’m just thinking Joe Flacco can’t look like Joe Montana and teams should have to attempt a pass to score a TD on a 9 play/75 yard drive.  Mediocre or even just “not good” defense wins those games.

Our pass rush game plan is one dude beating double teams.  We don’t have a game plan for the run as I see it at the moment.  We continue to be a zone heavy team despite having a slew of guys who excel in man and are seemingly lost in zone.  He’s been objectively bad at pretty much everything. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I still want to know why the ST coach is to blame. It’s not on him that the kicker shanked those kicks and it’s not his fault cooper just gave up on that onside kick. The only thing you can really attribute to a ST coach are the kickoff/punt return teams and how well they cover and block. And we haven’t given up any long returns and haven’t gotten any kicks or punts blocked. Preifer is middle of the road which is fine for a ST coach.

In the past few years we haven't been very good at covering kicks or punts, have been less than average in the return game, and we let the Jets get a first down on a fake punt this season. Missed kicks here and there are tough to pin on the ST coordinator, I agree, but the above situations are directly attributable to him. We can do much better.

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Hell, if he did, I would be impressed with him. He doesn't come off as a guy that takes things head on, he will come with the "gee, golly, gosh, we gotta get things together" type of approach. 

He’s measured, and I can appreciate that.  I do think at times you need someone to be the “bad cop” though and we don’t have that.

If I were a part of this front office, I would be trying to bring in Wade Phillips on as some type of consultant to Woods, also to bring SOME sort of leadership in the building, or at least attempt to, even if its via Zoom.

We need some DUDES on the defensive side of the ball too.  Angry *** dudes who play with some spirit.

You have to try to shake something up, this isn't just going to get better out of the blue.

Agreed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

In the past few years we haven't been very good at covering kicks or punts, have been less than average in the return game, and we let the Jets get a first down on a fake punt this season. Missed kicks here and there are tough to pin on the ST coordinator, I agree, but the above situations are directly attributable to him. We can do much better.

*A* missed kick, sure.  But when it’s multiple missed kicks all because the rookie kicker doesn’t understand the wind and how to kick in the stadium, that is on coaching to some degree.

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

With the exception of offensive line, where we have a HoF coach, what position groups have players that have grown and improved over time? 

Our running backs are great but Chubb and Hunt were amazing for years before Stefanski came so its not on him. Nobody on our defense has shown any internal improvement for years. Our receivers and tight ends are the same guys they have always been from day 1. Our special teams seems to only get worse. 

Someone like Myles Garrett who is a once in a decade talent has been incredibly disappointing. Is he a bust hell no but hes only 70% as good as he should be. I watch 3-4 games of the Cowboys/Rams/Steelers a year. When I watch them play I am blown away by Parsons/Donald/Watt literally every game. I see Garrett have games on that level 3-4 times a season as well with 4-5 duds and 8ish OK games. There is no reason why Garrett shouldn't be a top 5 defensive player in the league but hes closer to 20th best. We get nothing from bad talent, guys like JJJ who were stars elsewhere suck here. Guys like Ward and Garrett who should be super duper stars are just run of  the mill pro bowl talent. 

The chemistry in general on this team has sucked for a long, long time. You can tell our players dont like each other and are frustrated with the coaches. 

45 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I am looking at it from a whole standpoint, we have been bad for 2 years...and got worse last year IMO, this year, its been multiple missed FG's, giving up an Onside, giving up a fake punt for a 1rst down, multiple games with 12 men on the field and a blocked punt (it was tipped, but still counts). And lack of General overall performance......there are teams who feel their ST are a weapon.....I am PRAYING every time we just dont screw something up.....

And to me, that is not Middle of the Road NOR is it Fine......for ANY coach on the team IMO....

Raise your hand if you hold your breath every time we have a ST play?!?!?

0303d379-3aa9-4290-9732-e58909557873_tex

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 1