Week 5 GDT: Chargers vs Browns

MWil23

Who Wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• The Browns, obviously
    • The Chargers, obviously...what are you, crazy?
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Everyone loses because Mike steals everyone's souls

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah we can all joke about your complaining but in this instance you’re not wrong nor are you alone.  Both myself and @MWil23 have said dozens of times through every regime that this franchise has undervalued/underinvested in off ball LBers.

With day 2 picks like JOK, Takitaki and Phillips as well as Fields I think they’re slowly increasing efforts.

But also lots of other teams are in fact able to get competent play out of day 3 picks as off ball linebackers.  We’re not unique in our philosophy.  We’re not building our defense around linebackers, we just need competent play and we’re not getting that.

We also have really whiffed on the DT spots over the years and utterly refused to draft wide receivers or prioritize that position, and it’s no coincidence that our receivers outside of Cooper suck and we continue for the 24th consecutive year to get stomped on in the running game.

9 hours ago, dawgattack said:

Those two pushed shanks today had nothing to do with conditions at the stadium. Poor aim by a young inexperienced kicker. 

I agree to an extent. I just don’t see any advantage to him kicking inside the browns facilities at all when we don’t play in a dome. 

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, Elliot was a 3rd rounder, Togiai and Winfrey 4th, they signed Bryan who was a former first rounder.  

I don’t consider 4th rounders “late” and absolutely expect to be able to find average players there.  Maybe not studs regularly, but dudes who have some limitations but also actual NFL abilities as well.

I’m not saying this is the best DT group in the league or anything, but they’ve invested enough to be middling.  So either they whiffed know literally all of them or coaching sucks.

And again I’m not saying Elliot and TT are great, but iirc PFF had them as the two lowest graded DT’s in the league for the season a week ago. I don’t think they’re THAT bad.  I think they’re being poorly coached.

Which is funny because Elliot was a PFF god in college. He’s been horrid as a pro and honestly his game tape in college wasn’t too impressive either. 

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah we can all joke about your complaining but in this instance you’re not wrong nor are you alone.  Both myself and @MWil23 have said dozens of times through every regime that this franchise has undervalued/underinvested in off ball LBers.

With day 2 picks like JOK, Takitaki and Phillips as well as Fields I think they’re slowly increasing efforts.

But also lots of other teams are in fact able to get competent play out of day 3 picks as off ball linebackers.  We’re not unique in our philosophy.  We’re not building our defense around linebackers, we just need competent play and we’re not getting that.

Maybe we should be building our defense around LBs. The ravens and Steelers have been doing it for decades and have always had good defenses. 

JOK is good at what he’s good at, so to speak. But man I was banging the Pete Werner drum hard leading up to that draft and I think I was one of the only ones. He’s already fantastic and would have been a really good addition here. We have to do something to that group, I have wanted some sort of dude in that group for so long now and we continue to just not be good there.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We also have really whiffed on the DT spots over the years and utterly refused to draft wide receivers or prioritize that position, and it’s no coincidence that our receivers outside of Cooper suck and we continue for the 24th consecutive year to get stomped on in the running game.

I still don’t believe Elliot and TT are as bad as PFF rates them.  Scheme has to play a factor here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I agree to an extent. I just don’t see any advantage to him kicking inside the browns facilities at all when we don’t play in a dome. 

Zero reasons for him to ever practice in Berea.  Go to meetings and whatever, do the team stuff, but he needs to be kicking IN THE STADIUM regularly.

13 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Maybe we should be building our defense around LBs. The ravens and Steelers have been doing it for decades and have always had good defenses. 

I mean, the Ravens had literally the worst pass defense in the league last season.

Philosophically the idea of building around your ends and DBs and needing simply “ok” play from positions like off ball LB and DT is fine.  We’re just not getting any of that right now.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I still don’t believe Elliot and TT are as bad as PFF rates them.  Scheme has to play a factor here.

I think both are average 2 down run stuffers that offer zero ability to disrupt the interior or rush the passer. The issue is that we don’t have anyone else and our LB can’t make up for that.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think both are average 2 down run stuffers that offer zero ability to disrupt the interior or rush the passer. The issue is that we don’t have anyone else and our LB can’t make up for that.

Yeah, and I think that’s what they were drafted to be, average run stuffers.  Bryan is the guy who’s supposed to wreck **** on the inside. Or Myles/Clowney getting bumped inside on passing downs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

JOK is good at what he’s good at, so to speak. But man I was banging the Pete Werner drum hard leading up to that draft and I think I was one of the only ones. He’s already fantastic and would have been a really good addition here. We have to do something to that group, I have wanted some sort of dude in that group for so long now and we continue to just not be good there.

Pete is too big of a LB for what we’re trying to run.

The Deion Jones trade and Anthony Walker signing should have been obvious to fans. We want LBs like JOK. We want smaller, but faster. We don’t get “out athleted” anymore, but we get physically beat up. That’s the trade off.

The real problem with this defense is the secondary being stupid and bad. Imagine trying to run the LOB Seattle defense with garbage play in your secondary.