Week 5 GDT: Chargers vs Browns

MWil23

Who Wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• The Browns, obviously
    • The Chargers, obviously...what are you, crazy?
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Everyone loses because Mike steals everyone's souls

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Next offseason when I complain for the 1000th season in a row that we aren’t addressing LBs and DTs and everyone is telling me I’m an idiot because those positions are easily replaceable just remember games like this.  Because unless you’re the Steelers or ravens those positions are not easily replaceable and should be valued. 

I mean even if they did everything you wanted them to do, you would still complain about something. So yeah we will be ready for it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree, but they’ve invested a bit at both.  Maybe not enough, but I can’t help but think scheme is a huge issue here too.  

DT? No not at all. I don’t consider late round picks to be much of an investment. LB, kinda. JOK yes. Philips was a bust and I hated him coming out. He looked like the slowest stiffest guy on that lsu defense and he looks like that now. 

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I am just going to save myself the time and not watch the games, if you don’t mind just telling me results like this every Sunday night that would be great. Glad we did so well. 

I'll be happy to help you live in a world of perpetual delusion. <3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

because we slowed down their passing game.

did they tho? If you are the chargers, would you pass the ball when you are averaging 7 yards a carry? Especially prior to the game you were only averaging 2.7yards a carry, the worst average per carry in the league. They didnt really need to pass the ball or make big plays passing the ball cause their running game was murdering the browns  

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree, but they’ve invested a bit at both.  Maybe not enough, but I can’t help but think scheme is a huge issue here too.  

Its scheme and coaching.

Last week, our LBs were showing they dont even know how to read proper keys when they dont even react to pulling guards. This week, we have LBs playing lazy. One of the TDs, JOK decided to try to go underneath a block instead of beating the guy across his face. Since he did that, it gave an easy lane instead of potentially forcing Eckler to keep going outside.

Im not surprised by it tho, if Woods is this bad of a coach, I cant imagine the guys underneath him are any better.

5 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The issue is they sign or draft the kickers and have them kick in berea. There’s a big difference between kicking at the practice field and at the stadium. They should spend every day at the stadium kicking. 

Those two pushed shanks today had nothing to do with conditions at the stadium. Poor aim by a young inexperienced kicker. 

10 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

DT? No not at all. I don’t consider late round picks to be much of an investment. LB, kinda. JOK yes. Philips was a bust and I hated him coming out. He looked like the slowest stiffest guy on that lsu defense and he looks like that now. 

I mean, Elliot was a 3rd rounder, Togiai and Winfrey 4th, they signed Bryan who was a former first rounder.  

I don’t consider 4th rounders “late” and absolutely expect to be able to find average players there.  Maybe not studs regularly, but dudes who have some limitations but also actual NFL abilities as well.

I’m not saying this is the best DT group in the league or anything, but they’ve invested enough to be middling.  So either they whiffed know literally all of them or coaching sucks.

And again I’m not saying Elliot and TT are great, but iirc PFF had them as the two lowest graded DT’s in the league for the season a week ago. I don’t think they’re THAT bad.  I think they’re being poorly coached.

10 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

So far my complaints have been pretty valid considering their current and past records. 

Yeah we can all joke about your complaining but in this instance you’re not wrong nor are you alone.  Both myself and @MWil23 have said dozens of times through every regime that this franchise has undervalued/underinvested in off ball LBers.

With day 2 picks like JOK, Takitaki and Phillips as well as Fields I think they’re slowly increasing efforts.

But also lots of other teams are in fact able to get competent play out of day 3 picks as off ball linebackers.  We’re not unique in our philosophy.  We’re not building our defense around linebackers, we just need competent play and we’re not getting that.

• Like 1