Week 5 GDT: Chargers vs Browns

MWil23

Who Wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• The Browns, obviously
    • The Chargers, obviously...what are you, crazy?
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Everyone loses because Mike steals everyone's souls

25 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Pete is too big of a LB for what we’re trying to run.

The Deion Jones trade and Anthony Walker signing should have been obvious to fans. We want LBs like JOK. We want smaller, but faster. We don’t get “out athleted” anymore, but we get physically beat up. That’s the trade off.

The real problem with this defense is the secondary being stupid and bad. Imagine trying to run the LOB Seattle defense with garbage play in your secondary.

I would argue it’s clear by now that we are running a bad schematic Defense. Having a bunch of small linebackers that get handled isn’t effective strategy. 

Just now, NateDawg said:

I would argue it’s clear by now that we are running a bad schematic Defense. Having a bunch of small linebackers that get handled isn’t effective strategy. 

The reason this defense doesn’t work is because we don’t have a 3 tech who can rush the passer.

You can’t have DTs who suck against the run AND can’t rush the QB. They’ve gotta be good at least in 1 area.

It’s almost like we want to run a Tampa 2, but don’t have the horses for it.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Also, Werner isn’t a huge dude.  He’s 240-245.  That’s the size of an nfl linebacker. He’s not late career Levon Kirkland or some ****.

If the plan is to trot out 3 dudes who are 220, well, lol… whew lads

• Like 1

Just now, candyman93 said:

The reason this defense doesn’t work is because we don’t have a 3 tech who can rush the passer.

You can’t have DTs who suck against the run AND can’t rush the QB. They’ve gotta be good at least in 1 area.

I don’t disagree about the defensive tackle position but we also have linebackers that when a guard gets to that level on them, they are done. I’m not sure you can have three of those guys out there. And there are also some guys out there that are both athletic and able to take on a block.

Just now, candyman93 said:

Our pass defense hasn’t been the reason we lost the last 2 games.  The worst rushing team in the league just looked like some 1990’s Nebraska team playing directional Dakota.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Also, Werner isn’t a huge dude.  He’s 240-245.  That’s the size of an nfl linebacker. He’s not late career Levon Kirkland or some ****.

If the plan is to trot out 3 dudes who are 220, well, lol… whew lads

That’s what I’m saying man. A bunch of hybrid dudes that are fast but not a whole lot else going on. And I’m not sure being fast and being good at the position have to be mutually exclusive concepts. 

• Like 1

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

The play calling that led up to that was horrific, dont do this 

I won’t argue that, I didn’t love the play calling but it was fairly irrelevant in the end. We had a shot to win it with a kick.

Like, offensively we’ve had one issue this season and it’s been Brissett throwing bad picks in key moments.  He’s a backup QB playing otherwise great football and the offense has been nothing short of fantastic considering the circumstances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I won’t argue that, I didn’t love the play calling but it was fairly irrelevant in the end. We had a shot to win it with a kick.

Like, offensively we’ve had one issue this season and it’s been Brissett throwing bad picks in key moments.  He’s a backup QB playing otherwise great football and the offense has been nothing short of fantastic considering the circumstances.

We have had more than that offensively. We also have Kevin trying to outthink the other team a lot and instead of using the best RBs in the league, getting to cute in important situations leading to no points, turnover on downs, etc. The run game has been carrying us all season but he has a bad habit of going away from it in important moments when we should absolutely be running. The final plays of yesterday's game for example - Should of been three runs by Chubb and then attempted kick.