Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

This thread in 3 sentences.

Our defense sucks!

We can't stop the run and we can't get off the field on 3rd down!

We need to fire Barry and get somebody from the Niners or Jets!

YPC: Packers 4.0 Niners 4.1 NYJ 4.3

3rd Down%: Packers 38.8 Niners 40.6 NYJ 40.5

🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Our defense sucks!

🤷‍♂️

This is just proof that numbers can say whatever you want them to say. 

Have you actually watched the packers and jets defense play?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Our defense sucks!

🤷‍♂️

Just imagine what would happen if the coaches swapped teams.

We rushed two players on key third downs against the Vikings and I’m sure other teams.

Barry is bad.

We’re good on third down. Other teams do this crazy thing where they get off the field before third down. It’s called force turnovers.

44 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Just imagine what would happen if the coaches swapped teams.

We rushed two players on key third downs against the Vikings and I’m sure other teams.

Barry is bad.

We’re good on third down. Other teams do this crazy thing where they get off the field before third down. It’s called force turnovers.

The Jets have more 3rd down attempts against than the Packers do. So they get to 3rd down down more often and allow a higher conversion %. The 49ers though do have less attempts against than the Packers. They're just worse at defending them.

Also of note: the Packers have allowed 160 1st downs this year on defense. The Jets have allowed 154. The 49ers are at 155.

Also also of note: the Packers have the 5th best yards per play allowed this season at 4.9. The Jets are 3rd best at 4.6. The 49ers are 12th at 5.1.

Final thought: how many dropped picks do you think the Packers are at this year? Is it on Barry that the Packers struggle to force turnovers if they consistently fail to make the play even when the ball hits them in the hands?

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Our defense sucks!

🤷‍♂️

Jets are 6th defensively in DVOA. SF currently 15th and GB in 22nd.

20 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

The Jets have more 3rd down attempts against than the Packers do. So they get to 3rd down down more often and allow a higher conversion %. The 49ers though do have less attempts against than the Packers. They're just worse at defending them.

Also of note: the Packers have allowed 160 1st downs this year on defense. The Jets have allowed 154. The 49ers are at 155.

Also also of note: the Packers have the 5th best yards per play allowed this season at 4.9. The Jets are 3rd best at 4.6. The 49ers are 12th at 5.1.

Final thought: how many dropped picks do you think the Packers are at this year? Is it on Barry that the Packers struggle to force turnovers if they consistently fail to make the play even when the ball hits them in the hands?

Now let's include their respective opponents and we see GB defense is bad.

• Like 2

Said it before, I'll say it again.

I hate Joe Barry and his defense.  Like this is a very deep, very pure hatred.

But, Joe Barry and his schemes are not what is losing us games.  Injuries, penalties and our ineptitude on offense is what is losing us games.  Two of those are probably fixed with game reps over time.  One?  Roll of the dice.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But, Joe Barry and his schemes are not what is losing us games.  Injuries, penalties and our ineptitude on offense is what is losing us games.  Two of those are probably fixed with game reps over time.  One?  Roll of the dice.

False. 

Our offense has been (ever so slightly) better than our defense so far this season. And both have been responsible for losing games.

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I still want him gone, but unless they start getting lit up he's probably not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Incog already got this, but just wait until the Packers play the teams the Jets have.

If you think the Packers are gonna to look as good after they play the Chargers and Chiefs later this year, I’ve got bad news for you

• Like 2

Bob had me feeling good about Bearry and then Incog and OP/Mac brought me back to the right place. With that said if our offense can pick some steam maybe that helps the defense a bit. Still believe we need a change for the future of this D for sure. If we keep Bearry we're really signing up to not be good enough and ok with mediocre. 

The conclusion I'm drawing from all of this is kind of what I've felt all along from the defense since Pettine was fired. We have the talent to be a better D with a good coach, and that talent is innately getting this team to around middle 1/3 of the league status. We can do better than Barry to get to that next level.  

15 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I for one haven’t noticed him much except for The Bears game.

He's been playing well. A decent part of that is certainly his role and usage, but he's been in the backfield pretty consistently. 

+++

Is that 4th in the NFL number, complete bull****? Obviously

But that doesn't change the fact he's been playing well against the pass.