Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

To me, down lineman means his hand is in the dirt. I'd have to go back and look, but I don't think either OLB had his hand in the dirt. The other problem is gaps. The gap between the 2 down linemen was so wide I could've pushed a baby carriage through it. I was watching it live. I said, they're going to get a walk-in TD right up the middle. They did. 

MLF can argue all he wants to about what to call OLB/DE, but that's NOT fixing the problem. The true 3-4 defense has three down linemen and 4 LBs. That's why, Matt, they call it a 3-4 defense. That third D lineman is called a nose tackle and he lines up over the C to plug up the middle. They're lining up in a 4-2 or a 4-1 in short yardage with a wide gap between the two down linemen. Every OC in the NFL is going to push the ball right up the middle and be successful 90% of the time. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. You start by plugging up the middle. F%$%^ what you call the OLB/DE. If that's what he wants to argue about, that's why he has a losing record. If he said, we lined up in nickel because film study showed the Steelers had a tendency to pass in that situation, I could almost buy that, but what he said was just BS.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What an *******. 

1. Let the man ask his question without interrupting him. I know you're butthurt you lost, but that doesn't give you permission to be a ****. There are plenty of legitimate questions that could come off of that:

• Do you have to adjust your personnel because all your 3T keep getting combo'd off of?
  • Did you feel you were moving your safeties up into the box enough to stop the Steelers run game. 
  • When you're getting killed on the ground, are you tempted to back into the base, or into a 3-3-5?
  • Why the **** were you slanting so much against a ****ty Offensive Line?
  • What can you do better to have your Safeties better prepared to fill in the run game so your team doesn't look so ******* stupid. 

2. The 2-4 or 4-2, or however the **** you define it internally is not the only nickel alignment. Your own ******* team has run plenty of 3-3-5 nickel defenses over the last few years. Plenty of teams run plenty of 3-3-5 for the exact reason that it gives you more beef on the front line to defend against the run. 

"With 2 down lineman" is a perfectly adequate way of describing a 2-4/4-2, differentiating it from the 3-3-5, without getting into the very quibbling bull**** that LaFleur is going to bring up here. 

He knows what a ******* down lineman is. It's somebody lined up on the ball in a 3 or 4 point stance. That's what the "down" in down lineman means.

3. Saying "You're wrong because we define things internally this way, differently than how every other level of football does, aren't I smart?" doesn't make you smart. It just makes you an *******.  

It’s such a cop out using the ‘only insiders will get it ‘ excuse. 

We just got destroyed for 200 yards on the ground, man up and say you F’d up… again .

• Like 2

this might be off base, but i think these presser comments regarding the defense against the run game marks the beginning of the end for Lafleur- and I'm not anti-MLF - and I'm sure he'll be here next year, but taking shots implying the beat writers don't understand real NFL defense is a terrible idea.  Those guys are not going to run out of ink, and based on a historical perspective, this defense is going to get run on hard through the end of the season, like they have in the past-probably with two down linemen and two OLBs out wide pretty regularly.  Lafleur's about to have his words shoved down his throat (or up his a$$)

9 minutes ago, DamSamn said:

this might be off base, but i think these presser comments regarding the defense against the run game marks the beginning of the end for Lafleur- and I'm not anti-MLF - and I'm sure he'll be here next year, but taking shots implying the beat writers don't understand real NFL defense is a terrible idea.  Those guys are not going to run out of ink, and based on a historical perspective, this defense is going to get run on hard through the end of the season, like they have in the past-probably with two down linemen and two OLBs out wide pretty regularly.  Lafleur's about to have his words shoved down his throat (or up his a$$)

He seems to be feeling the heat of late .. been kind of pissy.  He will apologize to Jason tomorrow. 

20 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

PIT is a team that would rather run the ball than pass the ball.  Barry's approach was to allow PIT to run the ball rather than pass the ball.  Allowing the opposition to stay in their comfort zone is Barry in a nutshell.

Yep, this is the big problem.  Also feeds into the passive identity 

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What an *******. 

1. Let the man ask his question without interrupting him. I know you're butthurt you lost, but that doesn't give you permission to be a ****. There are plenty of legitimate questions that could come off of that:

• Do you have to adjust your personnel because all your 3T keep getting combo'd off of?
  • Did you feel you were moving your safeties up into the box enough to stop the Steelers run game. 
  • When you're getting killed on the ground, are you tempted to back into the base, or into a 3-3-5?
  • Why the **** were you slanting so much against a ****ty Offensive Line?
  • What can you do better to have your Safeties better prepared to fill in the run game so your team doesn't look so ******* stupid. 

2. The 2-4 or 4-2, or however the **** you define it internally is not the only nickel alignment. Your own ******* team has run plenty of 3-3-5 nickel defenses over the last few years. Plenty of teams run plenty of 3-3-5 for the exact reason that it gives you more beef on the front line to defend against the run. 

"With 2 down lineman" is a perfectly adequate way of describing a 2-4/4-2, differentiating it from the 3-3-5, without getting into the very quibbling bull**** that LaFleur is going to bring up here. 

He knows what a ******* down lineman is. It's somebody lined up on the ball in a 3 or 4 point stance. That's what the "down" in down lineman means.

3. Saying "You're wrong because we define things internally this way, differently than how every other level of football does, aren't I smart?" doesn't make you smart. It just makes you an *******.  

Are you expecting a coach like LaFleur to publicly criticize Joe Barry to the media? 

The fact that we're still getting pissed by coach talk in the year 2023 is baffling to me.

It's a cop out answer, technically he's right, the EDGE players on the field would be considered DL in a 4-3. We all know he's blowing smoke up our *** and he does too. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Are you expecting a coach like LaFleur to publicly criticize Joe Barry to the media? 

The fact that we're still getting pissed by coach talk in the year 2023 is baffling to me.

It's a cop out answer, technically he's right, the EDGE players on the field would be considered DL in a 4-3. We all know he's blowing smoke up our *** and he does too. 

I dont know....I still consider an OLB to be an OLB regardless of where he lines up or how many interior DL there are.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I expect him to let Wilde (How the **** did I find myself standing up for Wilde?) ask his damn question without insulting the man.

Coachspeak would be letting him finish his question and then saying, "There's a lot that goes into it, we'll look at the tape and see what went wrong, and we'll be better next week."

Coachspeak is not implying that anybody, who frames a question using entirely legitimate terminology, is an idiot.