Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

He pissed me off today a couple times but I have no idea how he's doing this with so many JAGs playing...

Tonight was the ultimate Barry defense.  Sit back and let the opponent take small chunks all night on time-consuming drives.  Wait for them to make a mistake.  Mahomes finally made the mistake, and the GB offense is now good enough tom make they pay for it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Tonight was the ultimate Barry defense.  Sit back and let the opponent take small chunks all night on time-consuming drives.  Wait for them to make a mistake.  Mahomes finally made the mistake, and the GB offense is now good enough tom make they pay for it.

We're stuck with him, aren't we?

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The defensive line that we thought we've had for the last couple of years is finally healthy and playing well all at the same time. 

That's 90% of it. 

Agreed.  However, 3rd and 20 yards and he still rushes just 3 with 8 back and Chiefs get a 1st down.  Dammit, be aggressive as that's what was working and let that D line eat.  Barry just doesn't do what he should on long down situations often times.  That play would have broken their backs .. didn't happen and kept them in the game.

9 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yup.  That's how I saw it and how I thought we would game plan for them last week.

You show them that they can run.  Mahomes takes it early and often.  Hopefully they get a penalty and get behind the down/distance markers and we can force a punt.  Or?  They chew up time and hopefully settle for 3, if a turnover doesn't happen.

Scary thing about that is that there is really no down/distance that Mahomes can't overcome.  We saw a little of that.  But, we kept them out of the end zone a few times and we got the big INT.  All while scoring TD's instead of FG's.

Running that kind of gameplan is easy to say, much tougher to execute.  But it worked.  And it was glorious.

Course, it helped that their injuries really started piling up on them.

9 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It was also the right match up to use the bend don’t break.  I could see more blitzing if Jaire and Stokes were playing though.  

I am now fine with keeping Barry. I don’t think he is a tremendous defensive mind, but not many teams hold the chiefs to under 20. And with that misfit secondary? It’s impressive. If nothing else, he represents stability. The Packers deserve an upgrade, but I won’t be livid if they don’t get one, like I would have been even a month ago. 

We held Chiefs to under 20 points, yes that's an accomplishment.

But

Chiefs punted 1 time last night. They were gashing us in the run game with long sustaining drives and Barry did nothing to adjust. 

We had a chance to put the game away early with the Chiefs having a 3rd and 18 on their drive to open the half and we rushed 3 allowing the Chiefs to convert. Calls like that are maddening

With a good DC, this defense would be top 5

Edited by Mdpackfan22

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

No matter how you want to slice it, we held a heathy Chiefs team, led by Patrick Mahomes to 19 points. 

NO matter the coordinator, everybody takes that going into a game against KC and says I'll take my chances. 

Sure, absolutely. And I’m not trying to not give Barry any credit. I’m just saying, the best defense was our offense keeping them off the field. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

Sure, absolutely. And I’m not trying to not give Barry any credit. I’m just saying, the best defense was our offense keeping them off the field. 

Vice versa for the Chiefs, who came in with a very highly rated defense. 

The difference is, not many teams have a Jordan Love to be able to do that. 

Context matters

The Chiefs moved the ball at will last night. Just like the Chargers moved the ball at will a few weeks prior. I don't care about the amount of points given up, I care about how the defense looked throughout the night and they, as they have most of the year, looked inept except for a select handful of plays and that's been the case Barry's entire tenure. 

There is no legitimate reason he should be retained post-2023 season.

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Vice versa for the Chiefs, who came in with a very highly rated defense. 

The difference is, not many teams have a Jordan Love to be able to do that. 

Right, we’re talking about our guy though and I have trouble giving him credit where if our offense wasn’t great last night, our defense would’ve been destroyed . Giving up points on 75% of the opponents drives is nothing to be proud of . 

• Like 1