State of the Steelers

warfelg

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

I would be willing to look at this:

Sign Conklin for RT, try Chucks at LT, sign Schweitzer for LG. Then look at Zion Nelson for long term LT solution.  I think though if you plan that and then fall in love with one of the top LT’s, I would not be afraid of moving Chucks in a trade.  

They’re not switching out 3 more spots and they haven’t shown any inclination to move Chuks.

Im all for upgrading the OL but the most likely outcome at most…the Steelers switch out LT and LG and maybe sign a swing guy.

13 minutes ago, AFF said:

They’re not switching out 3 more spots and they haven’t shown any inclination to move Chuks.

Im all for upgrading the OL but the most likely outcome at most…the Steelers switch out LT and LG and maybe sign a swing guy.

They were going to do it last year until they discovered through the preseason Moore can’t play RT. Is changing out for 3 all new players likely? No. Then again KV, Miami, Seattle all shuffled out 3 guys in the last year and it worked. So it’s not like it’s impossible. 

Edited by warfelg

If you guys could only switch out one offensive lineman this offseason,who would it be?

I think its Dotson for me.     Everyone else has shown some improvement, even if they still arent that great.   Dotson seems consistently unreliable, especially as a run blocker.  And this is coming from someone who thought he might be our best run blocker.   FAIL on my part.

I kinda agree with @AFF. Optimistically, I see us trying to upgrade LT and one of the interior positions.    Chuks is safe IMO.   Daniels will likely stay at RG, but could compete at center.  Cole will likely stay at center or maybe move to LG.   3 new lineman is possible, but unlikely, especially since we have so many other needs and there aren't many great free agent options.

31 minutes ago, 43M said:

If you guys could only switch out one offensive lineman this offseason,who would it be?

I think its Dotson for me.     Everyone else has shown some improvement, even if they still arent that great.   Dotson seems consistently unreliable, especially as a run blocker.  And this is coming from someone who thought he might be our best run blocker.   FAIL on my part.

I kinda agree with @AFF. Optimistically, I see us trying to upgrade LT and one of the interior positions.    Chuks is safe IMO.   Daniels will likely stay at RG, but could compete at center.  Cole will likely stay at center or maybe move to LG.   3 new lineman is possible, but unlikely, especially since we have so many other needs and there aren't many great free agent options.

Would totally be Dotson that I would move on from, but can I cheat and move Moore to LG too for that scenario? 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Would totally be Dotson that I would move on from, but can I cheat and move Moore to LG too for that scenario? 

Yeah.    As I said, I dont see us having more than 2 new OLineman next year, but I could potentially see guys like Moore and Daniels shifting, depending on who we end up getting.

8 hours ago, 43M said:

I feel like the coaching staff likes Moore. He’s played well enough to stick around and his contract is so cheap I think he’s safe. Chucks and Daniels are both safe as well.

Want to turn the OL into a strength? Break the bank for a top FA center (move Cole to top interior swing) and use the Bears pick on a mauler LG to replace Dotson. Or vice versa, I’m not sure whether theres better options at LG or C in FA this year.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if we keep the same unit minus Dotson and replace him with a FA or top 40 pick. Feel like he’s never really been able to get on the couches good side and is unreliable (currently dealing with yet another injury).

Really bored decided to try one of these, although I think we end up around 20 by the end of the year

Jaxon Smith-Njigba

WR | Ohio State

B+

Devon Witherspoon

CB | Illinois

B+

Noah Sewell

LB | Oregon

A

Jarrett Patterson

IOL | Notre Dame

A

Zion Nelson

OT | Miami (FL)

A+

Karl Brooks

DL | Bowling Green

A+

Eyabi Anoma

EDGE | Michigan

A+

Mostly nice picks.  Not sure I would touch Smith-Njigba with all of his injuries.  I think it moves him down the draft.  Look at Quentin Johnson from TSU there if you want a WR.  If you are picking 10th and Addison is there he is the pick.  Personally, I would take Trenton Simpson but...

Not a fan of Sewell.  Right there I would take Tommy Eichenberg (tOSU). 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Mostly nice picks.  Not sure I would touch Smith-Njigba with all of his injuries.  I think it moves him down the draft.  Look at Quentin Johnson from TSU there if you want a WR.  If you are picking 10th and Addison is there he is the pick.  Personally, I would take Trenton Simpson but...

Not a fan of Sewell.  Right there I would take Tommy Eichenberg (tOSU). 

Why so low on Young Sewell?

Looks like Michigan is going to put out another good crop of OL talent. Their Center looks good, as does their LT. The LT looks like the typical Michigan OT. Goes in the mid rounds, good run blocker, isn't ever the best OT in the game, but gives you 12 years of dependable play. There's a contributor to BTSC that is enamored by the Center. I don't know much about him, but any time you have a run game like UM has, there has to be something there. 

It also looks like the Center class in general is a pretty solid one. There are some big kids in there. 6'4ish 315+

Kid from Minnesota, Schmitz, looks like a winner. So does the kid, Ricky Stromberg(if we draft him his nickname has to be the Dragon Steamboat) from Arkansas. There will be yet another Fighting Irish O-linemen in the league with Jarrett Patterson. Plus the aforementioned Olusegun Oluwatami from Michigan. 

6 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

I don't think they go LT like a lot of ppl think , I think they're ok with dan Moore.

LG is the spot l think they address which seems to be a good draft of IOL top of second - 3rd round 

Maybe a swing / upside tackle in the 4th

I think you're probably right. They'd need to be wowed by a LT. Moore isn't very good, but unless there is a clearcut dude that is better than him, I think they pass on the LT position early. I think the coaches like Moore, but I don't think they feel the same way about Dotson(which is becoming harder to argue with). He's steadily declined and can't stay healthy. Dotson is also AWFUL when he's uncovered and has to look for work, which hurts Moore. Give me O'Cyrus Ferguson from Florida with one of our 2nds and I think the line is much improved. I also wouldn't be upset about taking a center. Cole is solid, but he can be improved upon. I also don't mind drafting a Center and letting him sit a year. Cole's deal probably has an easy out after next year.