State of the Steelers

warfelg

15 minutes ago, August4th said:

Fields might miss some time

looking at the bears remaining schedule, it won't be shocking if they lose out and that's with fields playing. The chances the pick we got for chase ending up in the top 35 is high.

I understand wanting to get Fields help but chase is a FA after 2023…you gave up a high 2nd and you still are going to have to pay him.

I know their GM said the FA WR class this offseason is bad but man…with as much cap room them have, they would’ve been better off overpaying a JuJu/Lazard/Jakobi Meyers and using that 2nd round anywhere else.

• Like 3

On 11/24/2022 at 7:43 AM, August4th said:

is their anything you like about tomlin? and when did your dislike for him start? just curios

Tomlin has never lost his locker room. His players almost universally respect him (I won't get into the reverse side of that at the moment, since I was asked to offer praise). There is little quit in his teams. That is rare if not unheard of for a coach tenured as long as he has been. I do think he is a legitimately good guy, decent human being and all that.

I had gripes with Tomlin early on. Some boneheaded decisions that left me scratching my head, but it wasn't until 2012/2013 that I lost faith in him and, most importantly, his ability to grow further as a coach. I was very optimistic about him after 2008, as I think most were. While he was coaching Cowher's guys, I will give him credit for bringing in some of his own schematic changes to the defense, some personnel moves, and the personality he gave the team in those first few seasons. The 2008 team fell behind often, but always fought back. Fell behind against Jax in 2007, but fought back (did that a few times that year, too). 

But yea, he lost me in the Haley years. I think he got fat and too comfortable in the job. Doesn't have the self-awareness or control of his own ego (not saying he's some megalomaniacal narcissist here) to really look in the mirror at his own faults and grow as a coach. 

I think it was hearing the players need to execute better one too many times that made me snap, honestly. I think you could count on one hand the number of times over the years that he has publicly stated that coaching was an issue.

• Like 2

Double dose mock this morning. 

No trade down:

9 - Kelee Ringo CB Georgia

33 - Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma

39 - Henry To’o To’o LB Alabama

70 - Marvin Mims WR Oklahoma

105 - Nehemiah Pritchett CB Auburn

204 - Kenny Logan Jr S Kansas

225 - Akheem Mesidor DE Miami

With trades:

9 <-> 14, 113, 2024 IND 1st

Taking my one of two offers, the other being 13, 74, 2024 GB 1st, but they also wanted 70 to get that done. I want to gain picks not lose one. 

Not taking a trade down at 14. Two of my targets went in the meantime with Addison and Johnson Jr. 

14 - Trenton Simpson LB Clemson

33, 113 <-> 42, 73

Even pick swap with Detroit here. I got my eyes on a guy but think he will be there with our own 2nd, and I can move down later to get more mid rounders if I want. 
It half backfired as my 1a pick went one pick before 39. But I’m not dismayed as my 1B is still there.

38 - Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma

42 <-> 54, 2024 Car 3rd

This is all about that premium future pick potential. 

54 - Siaki Zika DT Baylor

70 - Makhi Garner CB LSU

73, 2024 7th <-> 90, 2024 Ten 4th

99 - Tank Bigsby RB Auburn

105 - Jack Campbell LB Iowa

204 - Rakim Jarrett WR Maryland

225 - DeMarcco Hellams S Alabama

Remember we also walk away with 2024 Indy 1st, 2024 Carolina 3rd, 2024 Ten 4th in this mock. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

Curve ball pick, what if they want with Michael Mayer in a trade back scenario 

2 TE sets with pat would be crazy , and both TE block.  Which would help the run game too.

Pickett would have 2 safety blankets

They have so many holes I would need a new TV is they drafted a TE#2 in the 1st round.

• Like 3

I think it'll be interesting to see which other position they draft 
on the O-line - after getting a tackle.

Do they think a strong anchor (J.M.Schmitz, S. Van Pran) is more
of a need than a OG (C.Torrence)?

Also, there's some really interesting flexibility with our 2022 FAs when
it coms to owed money, especially when it comes to the secondary.

A few can released without huge cap hits, which means our defensive backfield
could be completely rebuilt if they choose to do so.

Witherspoon has been a complete wash for me, so I'm thinking they release him.
Edmunds is an interesting choice, as is Sutton.

But we could go into the off-season with a complete secondary rebuild on hand,
if they chose to go that direction, which would change the draft board no doubt.

49 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I think it'll be interesting to see which other position they draft 
on the O-line - after getting a tackle.

Do they think a strong anchor (J.M.Schmitz, S. Van Pran) is more
of a need than a OG (C.Torrence)?

I think it will be largely BPA, even outside of OLine.

Obviously it will depend on what happens in free agency as well, but aside from QB, RB, TE and maybe S, I think any other positions could happen with our likely 3 picks in the top 50.   I hope they dont go WR with those top 3 picks, but I wont be shocked if it happens, and I wont be shocked if its Addison.

Only way I see two OLine picks top 50 is if its two players they are extremely high on.

I dont know why, but I see two defensive picks in our first 3 picks....but thats just a flat out guess at this point.

Also, there's some really interesting flexibility with our 2022 FAs when
it coms to owed money, especially when it comes to the secondary.

A few can released without huge cap hits, which means our defensive backfield
could be completely rebuilt if they choose to do so.

Witherspoon has been a complete wash for me, so I'm thinking they release him.
Edmunds is an interesting choice, as is Sutton.

I agree Witherspoon will likely be cut.   He hasnt lived up to expectations and some guys deeper on our CB corps offer similar quality play.    

Sutton is a priority IMO.     Doubt we franchise tag him, but I wouldnt rule it out.   Not worth that money, but I also dont they will commit to a big long term deal.   Sutton is solid, but nothing special....but still an important piece.

Id give Edmunds a two year deal.   He is a JAG....maybe slightly better.     You can do better, but also worse.     I dont think 2023 is the right year to move on at safety.    On a better team we would likely be looking to replace him immediately.    As things stand now, he is not even top 5 in my list of concerns going into 2023.

But we could go into the off-season with a complete secondary rebuild on hand,
if they chose to go that direction, which would change the draft board no doubt.

Could...but I hope not.    Get a CB early and resign Sutton and Edmunds.     

Im still sick over the William Jackson trade.      We gave up nothing, but we are still on the hook for at least $9m next year, and thats if we cut him.     Not sure whose idea it was to take that on, but it doesnt bode well.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I think it will be largely BPA, even outside of OLine.

Obviously it will depend on what happens in free agency as well, but aside from QB, RB, TE and maybe S, I think any other positions could happen with our likely 3 picks in the top 50.   I hope they dont go WR with those top 3 picks, but I wont be shocked if it happens, and I wont be shocked if its Addison.

Only way I see two OLine picks top 50 is if its two players they are extremely high on.

I dont know why, but I see two defensive picks in our first 3 picks....but thats just a flat out guess at this point.

I agree Witherspoon will likely be cut.   He hasnt lived up to expectations and some guys deeper on our CB corps offer similar quality play.    

Sutton is a priority IMO.     Doubt we franchise tag him, but I wouldnt rule it out.   Not worth that money, but I also dont they will commit to a big long term deal.   Sutton is solid, but nothing special....but still an important piece.

Id give Edmunds a two year deal.   He is a JAG....maybe slightly better.     You can do better, but also worse.     I dont think 2023 is the right year to move on at safety.    On a better team we would likely be looking to replace him immediately.    As things stand now, he is not even top 5 in my list of concerns going into 2023.

Could...but I hope not.    Get a CB early and resign Sutton and Edmunds.     

Im still sick over the William Jackson trade.      We gave up nothing, but we are still on the hook for at least $9m next year, and thats if we cut him.     Not sure whose idea it was to take that on, but it doesnt bode well.

Steelers aren’t on the hook for any of the $13 mill if they cut him…no dead $$$…it would save all $13 mill if they cut him.

8 hours ago, AFF said:

Steelers aren’t on the hook for any of the $13 mill if they cut him…no dead $$$…it would save all $13 mill if they cut him.

I read on sportrac and SI that we would be on the hook for $9m if we cut him.    Didnt seem right, but I didnt see anything stating otherwise.   

UPDATE....I went and read several more articles and I found one that said Washington is in the hook for his $9m dead cap charge.

Not sure what the case may be, but either way, seems like a pretty poor trade.    If we dont have to pay him next year at all, then I can live with it.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I read on sportrac and SI that we would be on the hook for $9m if we cut him.    Didnt seem right, but I didnt see anything stating otherwise.   

UPDATE....I went and read several more articles and I found one that said Washington is in the hook for his $9m dead cap charge.

Not sure what the case may be, but either way, seems like a pretty poor trade.    If we dont have to pay him next year at all, then I can live with it.

They got a 6th round pick to take him