State of the Steelers

warfelg

this is more of look ahead post

but another benefit of having down yr besides the draft order is a easier schedule(on paper)

right now we'll play a last place schedule..so we'll play den instead of KC and NE instead of Buf..we travel more next yr, but the competition might be easier..saw a graph that had us with the toughest schedule this yr by a decent margin

https://fbschedules.com/2023-pittsburgh-steelers-schedule/

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 4:41 PM, August4th said:

this is more of look ahead post

but another benefit of having down yr besides the draft order is a easier schedule(on paper)

right now we'll play a last place schedule..so we'll play den instead of KC and NE instead of Buf..we travel more next yr, but the competition might be easier..saw a graph that had us with the toughest schedule this yr by a decent margin

https://fbschedules.com/2023-pittsburgh-steelers-schedule/

Schedules are a tough way to gauge success. Some of our best years we faced the toughest schedules. But, a bad schedule can get you into the playoffs where crazy things happen. 

I have been seeing some rumblings that Addison draft stock could be falling some after his production was basically cut in half after transferring to USC. I think we absolutely have to pull the trigger on him with the Bears pick or even move up a few spots if he’s in striking distance.

Would love to see a draft of:

1. CB Ringo/JPJ

2a. WR Addison

2b. IOL O’Cyrus Torrence

That would be a hell of a way to start off the draft. Maybe go out and sign a big name OT like Trent Brown as well.

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Would love to see a draft of:

1. CB Ringo/JPJ

2a. WR Addison

2b. IOL O’Cyrus Torrence

That would be a hell of a way to start off the draft. Maybe go out and sign a big name OT like Trent Brown as well.

considering what he signed for with the pats this should be a no brainer if he can play LT, can he? 

This could address positions of need.  I like this, not too costly either   considering what Brown signed for with the pats this should be a no brainer if he can play LT, can he? 

Addison would be a great 2nd round pick 

I'm also not against taking mayer if he fell , I'm liking this newer style of play since they got rid of claypool. Maybe this is what the offense needs to be.  Instead of trying to be flashy and go 3 wr. How about 2 TEs that can block and be mismatches in the pass game

Christian Gonzalez

CB | Oregon

B+

Michael Mayer

TE | Notre Dame

B+

O'Cyrus Torrence

IOL | Florida

A+

Jack Campbell

LB | Iowa

B+

Ryan Hayes

OT | Michigan

A

Habakkuk Baldonado

EDGE | Pittsburgh

A+

P.J. Mustipher

DL | Penn State

A+

16 minutes ago, 43M said:

The idea of wasting another 2nd on a TE right now makes me physically ill, especially when we have zero clue what kind of offense we will be running next year.

I feel like there's a lot of "here's what I want" going on with the luxury of an additional 2nd rounder, and treating it as such: a luxury pick.  I think this team has too many holes to do something even like using a pick for another pass rusher.  I think the "needs" in this draft still goes (in no particular order): OL, CB, ILB, WR, DL/NT.  I think we fill 3/5 through FA, with the picks covering 2/5 that aren't and 1 as a 'double down' at a position that can become a bigger problem faster.

I honestly think the extra second is going to result in 1 of 3 things:

1 - Picked on a "faller" from the 1st round.

2 - Paired with our second to get back into the first.

3 - Traded away with returns in the 2024 draft.

But if everyone thinks a WR is such a big need , and they have CA3 coming off of injury next year 

The offense never looked that good with the 3 WR sets , and you technically still have the 3 WR set with CA3 

The offense has looked much better lately and I feel like that might be because of the packages 

Maybe they're a better running team with more big bodies, helps the Oline more , helps the run game, helps keep the passing game simple ... Now you add that high end 2ns TE makes those packages that much more effective 

RE: WR being a popular pick - It's a very understanding suggestion.  DJ has been a massive disappointment this season and Austin is still a huge unknown quantity since he's been on IR.  Outside of that the depth is Sims (meh), Boykins (ST only guy), and White (PS guy).  

At TE we have a nice mix with Freiermuth, Gentry, and Heyward.  We got guys who can be a pass catching option, blocking option, a lead guy at the position.  Taking another one would be a real definition of a luxury.

THAT SAID - My commentary wasn't a direct "dig" at your take @Cbrunn, rather just a commentary overall of people treating the additional 2nd as a "luxury" that allows us to take someone at a position not of need. To me it's kinda like the spending that 1st on a pass rusher at edge - would be nice and give us instant depth - but it's not needed and keeps other positions weak.  I'd be curious as to who you took Mayer over at 33, because that could have filled a need.

I think you have to draft an OL and DL in the first two rounds.
We could argue if that's an OT or interior and no, we shouldn't reach,
but I'd be really disappointed if we didn't at least get that.

After that, I think you could argue CB, WR (slot), ILB or another OL.
I'm still of the camp that we have to build the trenches with Cam getting
older and the O-line needing an upgrade in talent (Weidl knows this from
his Philly days).

Would you be upset if the Steelers did something like:

RD1  DL B.Bresee
RD2  OG C.Torrence / J.Michael-Scmitz
RD3 OT J.Duncan

or

RD1  DL B.Bresee
RD3 DT S.Ika

I wouldn't.

There will be some solid CBs and WRs in RD3 and 4.

Edited by mwalker

chargers are losing, Ravens QB  hurt knee, jets lost. Are we actually having help getting into the playoffs.  I wouldn't have even thought this  a few weeks ago, but injuries, schedule and upsets in the NFL makes the last month intriguing to say the least

3 hours ago, mwalker said:

I think you have to draft an OL and DL in the first two rounds.
We could argue if that's an OT or interior and no, we shouldn't reach,
but I'd be really disappointed if we didn't at least get that.

After that, I think you could argue CB, WR (slot), ILB or another OL.
I'm still of the camp that we have to build the trenches with Cam getting
older and the O-line needing an upgrade in talent (Weidl knows this from
his Philly days).

Would you be upset if the Steelers did something like:

RD1  DL B.Bresee
RD3 OT J.Duncan

or

RD1  DL B.Bresee
RD3 DT S.Ika

I wouldn't.

There will be some solid CBs and WRs in RD3 and 4.

I hate the thought of predetermining what positions to draft, especially in a year with so many needs.    Obviously those are options, but CB, WR, pass rusher and ILB have to be on the table....perhaps even safety.

We will see how free agency plays out.   Im not opposed to drafting those positions early, but I am very opposed to forcing picks based on need.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I hate the thought of predetermining what positions to draft, especially in a year with so many needs.    Obviously those are options, but CB, WR, pass rusher and ILB have to be on the table....perhaps even safety.

We will see how free agency plays out.   Im not opposed to drafting those positions early, but I am very opposed to forcing picks based on need.

Yea, I don't believe you predetermine and not waver. If someone special drops, I get it.
I'm just saying I think this team is weak in the trenches.

4 hours ago, mwalker said:

Yea, I don't believe you predetermine and not waver. If someone special drops, I get it.
I'm just saying I think this team is weak in the trenches.

Absolutely...but the OL has gotten surprisingly decent with experience.   Still could use better talent, but I dont think its necessarily a top 3 need.   Not that I wouldn't take OL early, but it would have to be the BPA.

• Like 1