Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

3 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I wanted Rodgers traded, but I am not blaming Gute for getting him back. What I am blaming him for is not getting Rodgers any immediate help.

I agree, but what could have been done differently? They offered Davante his deal here, and he refused. So they took that draft capital and turned it into Watson and Quay, and turned the cap savings into Tonyan, Rasul and Devondre. After that the cap savings were gone and there's not really any money to bring someone new in.

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

? Pitt traded him for a 2nd. He was the one that really made sense since he's still on his rookie deal.

It was alleged Packers offered a second but they went with the Bears second....one can assume it’s the “bears will draft higher than the Packers” theory similar to what happened with Khalil Mack? In order to beat a second, what do you offer? A first....unless you offer two seconds, or multiple picks. I for one wouldn’t have been interested in any of those options. 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

With the amount of draft capital, he would have had we wouldn't have struggled for more than one year. 

You think Rodgers was going to go to another team and suddenly change? LOL! He's would have held the ball more than he did here because he wasn't sure what his WR's were going to do. Not to mention learning another system. 

Well my assumption is that if we traded him 2 years ago he would have comparable seasons to what he played for us in 2020 and 2021. I don't think it's logical to say he would have played much worst because we traded him.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The smart fans want direction. We have none, that's a lack of leadership.

The direction of the team was that we'd try to run it back again. Since Davante didn't want to play here, we rolled his cap savings into Devondre, Tonyan, Reed, and Rasul. We turned his draft capital into Quay and Watson. 

The logic made sense, imo. We had tried and tried to assemble an offense that could get us over the hump and failed multiple times. So we tried something different: building a great defense, while depending on Rodgers to elevate rookie/old WRs for productivity. The results havent panned out, but this team has charged head first into going all-in.

But at a certain point you have to quit throwing good money after bad if you're not serious contenders.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If they want Rodgers back next year, I'll struggle to watch. If there's anything this year has highlighted big and bold, it's the time to close the chapter on this era, not prolong it. Love needs a season before the option year to see what he is. If he sucks, time to draft another.

What an odd take