How much blame belongs to George Paton?

jolly red giant

2 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Also interesting Paton quote from a 104.3 article: “We would’ve made this trade regardless (when talking about if we were 5-3). We just felt the value was too good, we believe in our young depth, we believe in our defense. Moving forward, we have other holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball. We would’ve made this trade regardless."

https://denverfan.com/2101495/george-paton-claims-even-if-the-broncos-were-5-3-he-wouldve-traded-chubb/

There's hope for yall wanting a revamped offensive line 😃

I mean, honestly, this quote is kinda scary. If you’re 5-3 and in a playoff spot, maybe don’t trade your best pass rusher because your precious draft pick chest is a bit empty. You play to win games, not to make draft picks.

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

I mean, honestly, this quote is kinda scary. If you’re 5-3 and in a playoff spot, maybe don’t trade your best pass rusher because your precious draft pick chest is a bit empty. You play to win games, not to make draft picks.

I truly believe Paton has seen what we've seen though. Our pass rushers aren't the main reason our defense is elite and Chubb is certainly a part of that because he doesn't move the line much. Browning came in and made Chubb LOOK like a #2...Browning did that. Definitely Gregory did as well when he was playing early on. So no...I don't believe he would be trading our "best" of any position if we were doing well.

37 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

33 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

I truly believe Paton has seen what we've seen though. Our pass rushers aren't the main reason our defense is elite and Chubb is certainly a part of that because he doesn't move the line much. Browning came in and made Chubb LOOK like a #2...Browning did that. Definitely Gregory did as well when he was playing early on. So no...I don't believe he would be trading our "best" of any position if we were doing well.

I don’t have a problem with the statement given the EDGE depth we now enjoy.    I’d have a huge problem if he said that about Jeudy, Hamler or even Risner - because the guys who replace them would have been a significant downgrade to our win now chances this season.    Whereas it can definitely be argued we can cover 90 percent (if not more) with Browning as the starter with Gregory.   

On 10/31/2022 at 12:54 PM, Broncofan said:

As for how the PR is received with a Chubb trade - I have a simple solution - get a Dre'mont Jones extension done this week immediately after you trade Chubb away.

Reinforces that you're committed to the team, but this is a business, and you're intending to use the resources to make the team better.  As much as the players & fans won't like losing Chubb - extending Dre'mont sends the message we're still all in for 2023+ onwards, and even now - Browning, Gregory, and Bonnito/Cooper are here to stay.

A trade of Chubb is basically choosing Dre'mont over Chubb (which I fully support given our DL & EDGE corps), so making it explicit and official would calm the casual fans down...and let the players know Paton's committed to the guys left behind.  Win-win PR wise if you extend Dre'mont now. 

Get it done, George, and the plan becomes clear to everyone.    ESP if he does it before the next game, and then you'll see the PR narrative change.  It's already a great move, but this would appease the casual fanbase and the locker room, a lot (and best of all, be a strong football-org move, not just for PR/etc.).

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Gregory’s one of the only edges in the league with a worse record of playing time availability than Chubb. And Browning, are we really crowning him after like 6 games? 2.5 sacks?? 

Come on, we’re overthinking this greatly if we’re quibbling with calling Chubb our best pass rusher. And that’s coming from a guy who doesn’t think he’s a cornerstone piece of a great defence. He’s much more available than Gregory, and has much more track record of above average play than Browning. 

It’s a great trade, gotta do it in the situation we’re in, 100% of the time. But at 5-3, firmly in control of a playoff spot?? Yeah no, you can absolutely pass on a late first rounder for one of your best defenders (who you still have control of for another year!).

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Gregory’s one of the only edges in the league with a worse record of playing time availability than Chubb. And Browning, are we really crowning him after like 6 games? 2.5 sacks?? 

Come on, we’re overthinking this greatly if we’re quibbling with calling Chubb our best pass rusher. And that’s coming from a guy who doesn’t think he’s a cornerstone piece of a great defence. He’s much more available than Gregory, and has much more track record of above average play than Browning. 

It’s a great trade, gotta do it in the situation we’re in, 100% of the time. But at 5-3, firmly in control of a playoff spot?? Yeah no, you can absolutely pass on a late first rounder for one of your best defenders (who you still have control of for another year!).

I've never been a huge Bradley guy, but I thought he was really good this year. He's also the only one of our pass rushers that's a 3 down guy type of build. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Also interesting Paton quote from a 104.3 article: “We would’ve made this trade regardless (when talking about if we were 5-3). We just felt the value was too good, we believe in our young depth, we believe in our defense. Moving forward, we have other holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball. We would’ve made this trade regardless."

https://denverfan.com/2101495/george-paton-claims-even-if-the-broncos-were-5-3-he-wouldve-traded-chubb/

There's hope for yall wanting a revamped offensive line 😃

Re the bold, I am so glad he said this.  I felt after getting Russ we should have addressed the line.  I couldn't believe the balls on our oline shooting their mouths off about how good Russ would be with our line over Seattle's.  Like cmon man take a good look in the mirror YOU ARE JUST NOT GOOD!!  We could use three new faces on our oline...............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Looking at the FAs for next year - Dre'Mont is the only one you will really want back. The rest are all easily replaceable. 

I agree with your point; DeShawn Williams is playing 50% of the snaps as a starting DE at the moment, so that isn't an easy hole to fill. We're going to need a good body to replace him.

I'd imagine we'd want to bring back one of our Tackles (likely Fleming, maybe Anderson if his price is ok). 

We're definitely cutting Glasgow which saves $11m, Darby is a definite cut candidate (saves $10m), Edmonds saves $6m, and Martin saves $4m if he doesn't show out for the rest of this year.

Our cap is going to be in a very, very good spot next year.