Colts benching QB Matt Ryan; To start QB Sam Ehlinger

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Looks at the fact that Washington traded a 2023 3rd (or 2nd depending on snaps) AND swapped 3rds last year for Carson Wentz (who was going to be released according to multiple reports).

Yea... look at how inept the Colts franchise is... not the one I root for.

Washington and Indy making those trades

The Origins of the Iconic 'Spider-Man Pointing' Meme - Nerdist

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Looks at the fact that Washington traded a 2023 3rd (or 2nd depending on snaps) AND swapped 3rds last year for Carson Wentz (who was going to be released according to multiple reports).

Yea... look at how inept the Colts franchise is... not the one I root for.

That post wasn’t meant to take a crack at Washington. Just to add context to a comment that was obviously made to attack the Colts for fun.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

The team they play on Sunday? Rivera joined in 2020. Since then it's also been 7: Haskins, Kyle Allen, Alex Smith, Heinicke, Fitzpatrick, Gilbert, Wentz (and now back to Heinicke). Both these teams have had a rough go.

Yeah, I’m not trying to hear any other team cry the “we’ve had to use lots of QBs” blues. Especially teams that had Peyton Manning and then Andrew Luck for two decades. Stay in your lane, that’s our shtick. 

Just for fun, if we get to go back to 2018, we add 4 more starters to the 7 you listed. In order:

Alex Smith

Colt McCoy

Mark Sanchez

Josh Johnson

Case Keenum

McCoy (again)

Dwayne Haskins

Keenum (again)

Haskins (again)

Kyle Allen

Smith (again)

Haskins (again)

Smith (again)

Taylor Heinicke

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Heinicke (again)

Garrett Gilbert

Heinicke (again)

Carson Wentz

Heinicke (again)

That’s a span of 72 games, during which we have switched to a different starting QB 19 times. That averages out to roughly once every 4 games that we’ve switched starting QBs. The longest consecutive starts streak we’ve had in those 5 seasons is Heinicke’s 12-game string from Week 2 to Week 14 last year. 

One of them is dead. Another one almost died. There are 3 season/career-ending broken legs in there, as well as a career-ending broken hip. In less than 4.5 seasons.

No one else need even apply for the QB curse title. You’re all playing for the silver. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I struggle to blame Frank Reich for his team being stuck in QB purgatory. What were the better moves he could have made? Taking a shot on Wentz was understandable. Who was the better fix this past offseason?

Wentz's upside was worth exploring and he was a natural fit given history. It didn't work out as hoped, but wasn't a terrible idea at the time. 

Matt Ryan this year wasn't overly surprising, and the Colts were in that "QB away" category for a lot of people. They rolled the dice and it just didn't work out. 

It's unfortunate for Indy, because their roster is just too talented to flop entirely and get in position to draft a guy, especially considering they're stuck in a division with Houston and Jacksonville. Tanking would've been so obvious that it likely would've caused an uproar the last couple of years. 

I have very little doubt that Indianapolis with a solid QB doesn't win the division this year, and possibly beyond. 

Best thing Reich could've possibly done to address the QB situation would've been trading for like Geno Smith, which probably would've cost him his job immediately lol. I have to give him a mulligan for the QB situation. He's proven he's capable of winning with middling QB talent, so if he can find one in the next year or so, he should be fine. 

25 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Wentz's upside was worth exploring and he was a natural fit given history. It didn't work out as hoped, but wasn't a terrible idea at the time. 

Matt Ryan this year wasn't overly surprising, and the Colts were in that "QB away" category for a lot of people. They rolled the dice and it just didn't work out. 

It's unfortunate for Indy, because their roster is just too talented to flop entirely and get in position to draft a guy, especially considering they're stuck in a division with Houston and Jacksonville. Tanking would've been so obvious that it likely would've caused an uproar the last couple of years. 

I have very little doubt that Indianapolis with a solid QB doesn't win the division this year, and possibly beyond. 

Best thing Reich could've possibly done to address the QB situation would've been trading for like Geno Smith, which probably would've cost him his job immediately lol. I have to give him a mulligan for the QB situation. He's proven he's capable of winning with middling QB talent, so if he can find one in the next year or so, he should be fine. 

Yeah, I guess the good news is that there should be plenty of bridge QBs available in FA this offseason. The bad news is that the Colts may not be in position to draft a guy who has potential to be a franchise QB.

• Like 1