Trade Deadline and Future Roster Musings

Dcash4

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I might be wrong, but I believe he will count $1.5 against the cap next year for the Bears. That is so incredibly valuable in today's receiver game when NFL guys cost ya $15M+. That was probably more valuable than the actual player. I expected a team like Green Bay to take a swing at him for that reason. Bears make sense too, get a guy with some experience and upside to pair with Fields. 

Yeah, I'll never quite understand GBs propensity to do absolutely nothing when their star QB is in need. If you're a GM aren't you in the line about Cooks, Claypool or Jeudy. Make something happen, Rodgers is floundering. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I would strongly consider moving down a few slots but stay around top 10. I wouldnt drop any further than 12. Despite picking up the 2nd rounder they still only have 6 picks and this team lacks quality depth in several areas. OT, OLB, LB, CB im not even talking about the starters. 

If you could move down to like 10-12 and still get Breese which I think is totally possible. It may not be the sexiest pick but take Cam off this roster and I think they are a perennial punching bag, you need a stud Dlineman in there. Only concern is staying healthy if that is too big of a concern then look elsewhere. 

Nick Chubb is a machine/monster by the way. Pound for Pound like the toughest guy in the NFL by the way he runs.  

Every time Najee leaps in the air to avoid a db he saves the wear that he should be putting on the db and puts it on himself. I was so happy to see him run into and over that one guy this past week.  I don't know how many clips there are of Chubb leaping over guys but im positive its a lot less attempts than Harris. 

were you happy to see najee fail to juke the defender on the one play when he could have ran him over? He does that too often, I hope they trade him but doubt it will happen.

You would rather have Breese than Anderson with our situation?

Larry O has been good and Davis made a nice play vs eagles (one anyways big deal I know) . Leal looks legit but for this I wouldn't you prefer UFA instead of a high draft pick?

Agree about Chubb, I am sure Jim Brown likes what he sees out there. 

Who will be in UFA that you would like to see on this team? What about Evans ILB? We missed him by one spot in the draft, so maybe now is the time?

Just now, warfelg said:

Seems that way.

Actually read it on another site…$2.5 mill roster bonus due in March with base salary of like $9.5 mill…all able to be cut without dead $$$$…like the article said it’s basically an 8 game tryout for next year.

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

Actually read it on another site…$2.5 mill roster bonus due in March with base salary of like $9.5 mill…all able to be cut without dead $$$$…like the article said it’s basically an 8 game tryout for next year.

What worries me is that everyone was singing Witherspoons praises after his play late last season.   Now....not so much.

Jackson isnt a notable upgrade over anything we have, and is 30 years old.    He would have to really impress me to keep him around at his price.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

What worries me is that everyone was singing Witherspoons praises after his play late last season.   Now....not so much.

Jackson isnt a notable upgrade over anything we have, and is 30 years old.    He would have to really impress me to keep him around at his price.

Yea at least they backloaded Witherspoons deal…they can save $4 mill if they cut him after the season.

6 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

were you happy to see najee fail to juke the defender on the one play when he could have ran him over? He does that too often, I hope they trade him but doubt it will happen.

You would rather have Breese than Anderson with our situation?

Larry O has been good and Davis made a nice play vs eagles (one anyways big deal I know) . Leal looks legit but for this I wouldn't you prefer UFA instead of a high draft pick?

Agree about Chubb, I am sure Jim Brown likes what he sees out there. 

Who will be in UFA that you would like to see on this team? What about Evans ILB? We missed him by one spot in the draft, so maybe now is the time?

Im hesitant to have that much money potentially allotted to the OLB position, but it would work I suppose if we let Highsmith walk. Guess I had been thinking this whole time that they will be working on Highsmith contract as top priority next summer, but if you draft a pass rusher that high you could let him go. We'd have Highsmith for next season yet. 

I havent found an ILB that Im enamored with , Owen Pappoe has movement ability and can bring it. Not sure about his instincts though. Dont want to spend a 1st on the position there are no Micah Parsons. Still cant believe the Eagles and Giants let him fall to Dallas.

I was liking the corner from Illinois as a potential 2nd rounder. 

5 hours ago, AFF said:

Right now - it's a baseball contract with a TEAM OPTION. 

I missed that RB baybeeee

Unfortunately, it'll turn into a football contract. And we'll create dead money, which is really just owner savings, by the inability to hand out good contracts 😉

He's got three years of contract with only one year of figures (i.e. void years). His inputs are $9,250,000 in salary and $2,500,000, in a roster bonus, or in this rare case, TEAM OPTION. Because the trading team just "paid the price" to get rid of Jackson.

Dead money = owner savings. If done correctly, which is usually (always) the case. Catch my drift.

They'll take his salary down to $1,250,000 or there about. Let's keep Jackson, but at a figure our fans can be proud about. Oh my. Look at all these void years built conveniently into this contract we have selected. Let's knock Jackson down to $1,250,000 in salary and then account for these other wild figures by spreading them out over three years. And then we'll cut Jackson when "things didn't pan out"

Jackson - $1,250,000 salary + (10,500,000/3)

2023 cap hit - $4,750,000

2024 dead money - $7,000,000

As mentioned previously, this is a one year rental. Don't let any spinsters here or there tell you otherwise. 

1) You get Jackson for next year at $4.75m as the best CB on your roster

2) Rooney kickbacks of $7,000,000 in 2024 in the form of dead money. Or, in all cases, blood money.

Because someone is no longer working, but the owner is richer. 🙃