2022 Steelers Bye Week Thread

Steeler Hitman

It is the bye week and there is good and bad news:

1. The good news is the Steelers won't lose a game this week. 

2. The bad news is there is no Steelers game. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I am an ole school baby boomer, but in the immortal words of 90's Boy Band N Sync, "Bye, Bye, Bye to play-offs." 

kenny-pickett-of-the-pittsburgh-steelers

Brighter days are ahead for Kenny Pickett and the Steelers. I am not sure that a lot of those sunny days are in 2022. For the record, I preferred to play the veterans Mitch Tribisky or Mason Rudolph before throwing a rookie to the Lions, Bengals, and Bears, Oh my!!!

Mason-Rudolph-Mitch-Trubisky.jpg

Mid-season wish List:

I am going to build in the trenches and add talent at CB, OLB and safety depth.

1. Offensive Lineman - - I think the free agents have been more than serviceable (Cole and Daniels).  I still think Daniels is a stud in the making.  Get a franchise C, LG, RT, and LT.  You have a franchise QB, so get him his Center and LT.

1272540589.jpeg

Hello Big Sexy!!!!  2023 Free Agent OL Quentin Nelson. I am sure that the Colts will franchise him, but We can no longer post hotties, so my tastes have changed. 😬 Not really.... But for an OL, he is the picture of sexy. I am sure Najee and Kenny would agree. With he and Daniels, our OG's are pretty solid in the run game.

I3ILHTKIHRFOPKH2CSG323TLFY.jpg

Hello Paris!!!

2. CB - - Whitherspoon, Sutton, and Wallace would be very good #3, #4, and #5 CB's.  They are our starters though. We need an influx of coverage CB's.  We have no shut down corner, and truthfully not an outstanding #2. 

7ed9179f716840b89a411be3e6b615fd.jpg?w=1

The law offices of Fitzpatrick and Bates would be a pretty nice no deep zone......

3. Safety and OLB depth - - We could use some help here. I would not be adverse to getting another starter to put next to Minkah. We need a Batman and Robin (I preferred the Green Hornet and Kato).

d52b08e9a34afc8feb8468134b6b90a3.jpg

4. We missed out on Roquaan Smith, so hopefully we can find a diamond in the rough to take over as the future ILB leader.  Bush has improved and is improving, but I think he is upgradeable via draft or free agency.

th?id=OIP.k2KNn3mjy45qPJJFK8pGkwHaHY&pid

5. Coaching - - Despite all of the Coach Tomlin must go, it is actually 1 losing season and a lot of "below the standard since the 2008 season. Something must be done to change the philosophy and get a more balanced offense.  I have been saying since Big Ben has gotten older to go back to the style of smash-mouth football that was played early in Big Ben's career. The Steelers should have done that with Mitch, Pickett, Najee, and company.  When the HC isn't fired after disappointing season, the coordinators and position coaches unfortunately lose their jobs. I would love to keep Brian Flores on staff because he can do for the defense what Mike Munchak did for the OL. 

E8A1EEFB-01CC-4D9A-A137-C8B7FA63B60A.jpe

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nfl-receiver-rankings/

I have been waiting for this tool! They teased it for weeks. Kinda fun to play around with. 

Steelers notes:

- Pickens is top 10 in catch score, poor at open rate (Ranks 52nd overall)
- DJ is top 2 in open score, very low in catch rate (ranks 11th overall)
- Claypool is mid (ranks 20th overall)
- Freiermuth is a lot lower than I thought he would be on this list....a lot lower....bottom 3
- Najee just outside of the top 10

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

A good 2nd at that!

I am impressed with that haul!
Also saw William Jackson lll heading to Steelers for a swap of late round picks. Haven’t seen details anywhere yet on exactly what is being swapped.

Just asking as I haven’t followed his play recently, but is this move going to help out the secondary? On the surface, this seems like another mediocre CB move like signing Levi Wallace. Nothing special, just more depth. Hopefully I’m wrong and change of scenery will benefit him. Curious to know what you guys think about him. 

7 minutes ago, Regulators87 said:

I am impressed with that haul!
Also saw William Jackson lll heading to Steelers for a swap of late round picks. Haven’t seen details anywhere yet on exactly what is being swapped.

Just asking as I haven’t followed his play recently, but is this move going to help out the secondary? On the surface, this seems like another mediocre CB move like signing Levi Wallace. Nothing special, just more depth. Hopefully I’m wrong and change of scenery will benefit him. Curious to know what you guys think about him. 

I thought he was a really quality CB when he was in Cinci. I haven't followed his career post Bengals to know. He can't have gotten a lot better, one would assume. 

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Paging others (mainly @Dcash4) because I got a headache trying to figure this out.  No wonder why the offense is a mess.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

This sounds like what would happen if you took 4 friends who watch games together with limited actual football experience and all of a sudden made them coaches in the NFL. "Man, Paul, I love your ideas on third down so how about you do those! And Nick, well, I mean obviously passing down is yours. I'll go ahead and take the redzone, because I rarely kick field goals in madden!". 

I am a fan of collaboration, but without a guy at the top calling ALL the shots, it's all meaningless. No wonder we look like we have no plan of attack and nothing seems to flow together. 

The more I learn about this offense, the more I think two things are true:

1) Mike Tomlin is completely hands-off in the offensive room

2) Bill O'Brien is our next OC

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

1) Mike Tomlin is completely hands-off in the offensive room

2) Bill O'Brien is our next OC

I agree with 1.   Although thats not necessarily a bad thing.   I think he is a mediocre Xs and Os guy.

Agree with @warfelg on 2.   I want nothing to do with him.

6 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

4. We missed out on Roquaan Smith, so hopefully we can find a diamond in the rough to take over as the future ILB leader

SH - how about ILB Evans? We just missed him in the draft, finally bring him here . 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

- Najee just outside of the top 10

top 10 in what, bad decisions? This is laughable

Jaylen Warren’s Success Somewhat Situational, Says Matt Canada

Canada downplaying Warrens success?  Someone just fire this clown or at least give him covid

BoB is a major upgrade over canada, yet still not liked here. Haley>arians>BoB >canada 😂

remember when everyone here were sick of Haley and arians, well look at now.  Maybe tomlin can make this worse with his next OC, never know

• Like 1

BOB wouldn’t be high on my list, but I think the next move after all this mess at OC will be to get an adult in the room, first and foremost. 

Bill would be that at the very least. Last outside hire Tomlin made was to Haley, a former HC, to be the grownup in the room after buddy buddy OC in Arians. I see some parallels. 

Again, not my first choice…

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 2