Week 9: Titans @ Chiefs

TitanLegend

6 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

You don't want to play a healthy Titans team in January. Heck even a banged up one. Let the offense heal and Treylon start to learn.

We COMPLETELY shut down their running game to the point they didn't even try anymore. Mahomes had to throw 1000 times to beat us in overtime. 
There is only one Mahomes in this league. One Josh Allen. 
We've shown at multiple points in time that we can beat both. 

If our defense is able to come with it consistently and make enough plays then we will be right in the thick of things when the dust settles. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

everything you're saying is so right and we can go on and on and on and on poking holes

One thing that baffles me is that, in this day and age, there are a myriad of ways to get guys open and in space. You don't need to be an all-pro to get open. We can design ways to get a shifty guy like Woods open. It's not like he became a terrible WR on his plane ride from LA to Nashville.

KC ran a screen yesterday that saw the OL essentially let the entire DL thru and those guys got out to the edge to start blocking. IDK if it was a big play for them...think we made a nice tackle...but compare that to OUR screens which take 20m to develop just to get the ball into a TEs hands, often surrounded by defensive players

how and why?

That is what is frustrating. We fail to do even the most simple things a NFL offense does. You telling me we couldn't have thrown a couple passes to Hooper, Chig or Woods like they did to JuJu. All 3 of those guys good catch in traffic/tough runners. 

Woods is our only real threat at WR right now and we choose not to even give him a WR screen or End Around. 
We gave Juilo those passes only for him to be tackled by one guy all last year. 
Was Malik so untrustworthy he couldn't even do that? 

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

But the big Achilles heel of the team is the OC.  We've kinda been giving Downing a break lately because we were on a winning streak.  Normally, when everything goes his way, and we can run the ball effectively, he does a fine job.  But if anything happens to get him out of his comfort zone, he completely ****s the bed.

This is pretty much it. At his best, Downing gets out of the way just enough to not be an active detriment to the team. That’s his peak. Not being a complete obstacle. But he’s entirely incapable of adjusting and will abandon things that work and tuck away into his shell the second we have a second-half lead.

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

This is pretty much it. At his best, Downing gets out of the way just enough to not be an active detriment to the team. That’s his peak. Not being a complete obstacle. But he’s entirely incapable of adjusting and will abandon things that work and tuck away into his shell the second we have a second-half lead.

This was Arthur Smith's strength. He didn't blink. He didn't waver.  

All I know is that the next time I hear a member of the coaching staff talk about a receiver’s blocking ability I’m going to hit something. We shuffle between 12 and 13 personnel. Sometimes mix in 22. Geoff Swaim plays 70% of the snaps exclusively because of his alleged blocking prowess. Our receivers blocking has virtually no bearing on at least 90% of run plays. Because they either don’t go to the edge or they don’t get to the third level. 

To hear our only in-season addition to the receiver room come in and immediately hype his blocking was pitiful. Because you know that’s what we focused on and asked him about before signing him. We have a goddamn blocking receiver. Is there any other team in the league with a blocking receiver that averages 20 snaps a game that has a roster spot locked up exclusively for his blocking?

We need receivers that can run routes, create separation and make catches, either open or contested. It’s not 1935. We’re not playing football at an abandoned sawmill with leather helmets on. We can be both a power run team and actually prioritize traits that matter for receivers.

Do we question Tanny for not playing? 
Folks at work, "McNair would have played." 

Shoot Marcus played that one game on one bad hamstring and couldn't move from the pocket. It was a game that would have been clutch at the end of the season when tiebreakers come into play.

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

All I know is that the next time I hear a member of the coaching staff talk about a receiver’s blocking ability I’m going to hit something. We shuffle between 12 and 13 personnel. Sometimes mix in 22. Geoff Swaim plays 70% of the snaps exclusively because of his alleged blocking prowess. Our receivers blocking has virtually no bearing on at least 90% of run plays. Because they either don’t go to the edge or they don’t get to the third level. 

To hear our only in-season addition to the receiver room come in and immediately hype his blocking was pitiful. Because you know that’s what we focused on and asked him about before signing him. We have a goddamn blocking receiver. Is there any other team in the league with a blocking receiver that averages 20 snaps a game that has a roster spot locked up exclusively for his blocking?

We need receivers that can run routes, create separation and make catches, either open or contested. It’s not 1935. We’re not playing football at an abandoned sawmill with leather helmets on. We can be both a power run team and actually prioritize traits that matter for receivers.

this is why i don’t know how much getting rid of downing (and i’m 90% sure we won’t even do that) actually improves us. we’ve known all along that this organization’s stone-age approach to football would cost us.

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Do we question Tanny for not playing? 
Folks at work, "McNair would have played." 

Shoot Marcus played that one game on one bad hamstring and couldn't move from the pocket. It was a game that would have been clutch at the end of the season when tiebreakers come into play.

Hell no

Tanny is tough as nails

I have a feeling that Tanny cannot run nor plant his bad ankle

you can't play that way

18 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but that's selling Downing just a little short.  When everything is going his way, he's a competent play caller.  But otherwise, yeah, I agree completely.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It's funny, I think it was Colinsworth during the broadcast that described Cody Hollister as "one of those receivers who does a lot more blocking than receiving."

The thing is, I'm OK with philosophically not prioritizing WRs.  A run heavy offense with a great defense works.  That's fine, sure.  But the thing is, you still need a fairly deep pool of at least capable receivers for it to work.  We would barely have that at 100% health.   Guys like Hollister just should not be on an active roster at all.  His biggest contributions were not catching balls and getting big plays called back with penalties.

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is why i don’t know how much getting rid of downing (and i’m 90% sure we won’t even do that) actually improves us. we’ve known all along that this organization’s stone-age approach to football would cost us.

The stone age approach could work if we had an OC with a better feel.  
I mean I don't think any of us would call the 2019 offense with Arthur a wide open masterpiece. He just had a better feel of how to mix it all together. We still ran Henry like crazy. 

An OC with a better feel would have found a way to get us some points on that drive where we started at midfield. 
A better OC would have to find a way to continue any 1st half success into the 2nd. 

But to your point, would it change a lot, No, but I think we'd have more success with it. 

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Hell no

Tanny is tough as nails

I have a feeling that Tanny cannot run nor plant his bad ankle

you can't play that way

Tannehill doesn’t travel with the team if he’s not pushing to play. I mean, he finished that Colts game when he could barely move on an ankle that is still hurting weeks later.

I’m hoping the coaching/medical staff is protecting him and they should continue to protect him, even if it means I have to go watch Willis at Lambeau in 11 days. Fact is, we play in a division with arguably three of the 7-10 worst teams in all of football. We don’t need to sacrifice our QB long term for a November win.