Lions trade TE T.J. Hockenson to Vikings for 2nd, swap of picks

TheKillerNacho

26 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

We don't win without him today. He converted a lot of major 3rd downs for us to extend some important drives.

Pleasantly surprised. Was skeptical with how little we seemed to use Irv Smith but that might have spoken to how limited Smith was. Just never seemed to develop any chemistry with Cousins.

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Pleasantly surprised. Was skeptical with how little we seemed to use Irv Smith but that might have spoken to how limited Smith was. Just never seemed to develop any chemistry with Cousins.

I don't think he's a starting caliber player. He'd probably be best as a #2 in a 2 TE set.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:52 PM, Tugboat said:

I don't really get why Detroit would move a top, young offensive weapon for so little.  But i guess that's none of my business.

He was due for an extension. They couldn't budge him off of wanting $15+ million per season. He's not worth that. With Detroit coming up on capspace and signing FAs, any comp pick we would have got for him would be negated. Traded him for something rather than lose him for nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

He was due for an extension. They couldn't budge him off of wanting $15+ million per season. He's not worth that. With Detroit coming up on capspace and signing FAs, any comp pick we would have got for him would be negated. Traded him for something rather than lose him for nothing. 

A number 2 receiving option is very much worth that

7 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I get he had a good game for you guys, but he's not worth that. 

MN was likely to use a day 2 pick on a TE next year anyway so they are just getting that player a year early. Will see how he does on a new team with a better QB and if he can earn a long term deal. That’s my biggest hesitation with the trade if he’s going to be worth the long term deal he’s going to get putting up pretty good numbers on a playoff team. They simply aren’t going to get production from Mundt and Smith is out awhile. MN has to prioritize paying Jefferson next year too so that contract Hockenson demands could be concerning. 

we'll see, he wouldn't be the first Lions player to become something better somewhere else. on the other hand he wouldn't be the first to look a lot better for a season or a few games and then go back to being what he was (M. Stafford).

As he was, with the Lions, he wasn't worth $15 mil per. He had a handful of games like the one on Sunday, and then other stretches where he was mediocre or invisible. The Vikings have a more functional offense than the Lions almost ever did during his time there so chances are he'll have more room and opportunities. we'll see how well he does with that week in and week out.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, Nnivolcm said:

TJ Hockenson's best season was 2020 when he had 67 receptions, 723 yards, and 6 TDs.

Those numbers don't qualify him as a top offensive weapon imo. 

Didn't his best year put him like...3rd line the league among TE Yardage?

I'd say that's pretty top tier offensive weapon territory.

7 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Fair enough i guess.  It's tough to pay a TE like that.  This actually makes more sense.

But Detroit should have cap space flexibility to burn, given where they're at.  You'd like to keep your good offensive weapons, no?  I certainly would.

20 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Didn't his best year put him like...3rd line the league among TE Yardage?

I'd say that's pretty top tier offensive weapon territory.

Also in 2020 Logan Thomas had 72 receptions for 670 yards and 6 TDs with Heinicke as his QB. 

Do you also think Logan Thomas is a top tier offensive weapon?

38 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Also in 2020 Logan Thomas had 72 receptions for 670 yards and 6 TDs with Heinicke as his QB. 

Not really, no.

But Hockenson is an actual TE, with all around TE skills, on top of having put up those kind of offensive numbers.  He's clearly a top weapon at the position, if healthy and used correctly.  He's already shown he's capable of it.

39 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Not exactly a top tier overall offensive weapon, but 60-70 receptions for 700ish yards means you're a top 10 TE. Every top 10 player at every position gets a top 3ish contract when it is their time.

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Not really, no.

But Hockenson is an actual TE, with all around TE skills, on top of having put up those kind of offensive numbers.  He's clearly a top weapon at the position, if healthy and used correctly.  He's already shown he's capable of it.

If you're referring to blocking, he hasn't performed as advertised coming out of college on that front. 

He's a good receiving TE but wasn't part of Detroit's plans going forward. He was a luxury pick by the previous regime, but this franchise wasn't and still isn't in a position to make luxury picks in the top 10 or pay a premium for a TE. It would be different if he were Kittle or Kelce, but Detroit wasn't going to pay elite TE money to a good TE. So he got to go from 1-6 to 6-1 and hopefully get the extension he wants and Detroit gets some draft capital; could be a win-win-win for the player and the two teams.

16 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Not really, no.

Using the world "clearly" doesn't really quantify why he's a top TE when his top production is very close to a "not really" top TE. Hockenson hasn't produced like a top offensive weapon since he's been in the NFL. 

14 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Not exactly a top tier overall offensive weapon, but 60-70 receptions for 700ish yards means you're a top 10 TE. Every top 10 player at every position gets a top 3ish contract when it is their time.

Hockenson is going to get paid like a premier TE defensive coordinators have to game plan around. He isn't one of those TEs.

I agree it was a good move to trade him for something instead of losing him for nothing or over paying him.