Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

49 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

This is a "crime" that I would call dumb rather than malicious.  As far as I know, this is a single episode of dumb as well.  If this is not a recurring theme in his life, then I pretty much dismiss it.  I would feel a lot more comfortable with this guy on my team than Joe Mixon, or serial-dumb like DGB.

As far as his conditioning, I would again look for patterns.  I think teams could probably figure this out in interviews and we also have access to quite a few UGA guys in our locker room.  

Not sure about a carbon-copy pattern of the whole situation, but we do know there is a pattern of speeding with him & other GA athletes. He got a ticket months earlier in Sept for going 90 in a 45. In that incident, footage shows the officer begging him to slow down & tell his teammates to slow down as well, since he had pulled over both Darnell Washington & Dylan Fairchild within the previous 24hr. 

56 minutes ago, Sandy said:

But no matter what, I want to walk away with two TEs from this draft. 

I'd be surprised if they didn't take two. This doesn't appear to be a great draft class, that is, across many positions which have higher positional value. But where it does appear strong (e.g., TE, RB, Edge, CB), it meets up with some of Packers major needs. So yeah, it makes sense if they take two, i.e., an inline TE and a flex TE.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Well, if you would make a new thread about how badly we do with 3rd round picks the curse would end and we'd start drafting HOFers in the 3rd round. Then you might learn to value those picks. 

Nothing against Taco Bell mind you! 

There's plenty of time.  But either way, I'd happily flip a third to move up and secure Kincaid.  

I am opposed to using two, second round picks, to move up and secure Kincaid, though.

And that is just because of the depth of the TE's in the draft.

• Like 1

are people who want a cb assuming that stokes is done, that sul is sunsetting, or just love depth at cb? if stokes' knee is ok (which the packers know about) and with nixon getting snaps there it seems like one of our strongest groups to me. 

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Sure, that would be fine.  Bud did he see the sim that I did the other night where I got Jalen Carter after I traded back to 16 and picked up an extra 4th 5th and 6th, and something from 2024 too?

I got a solid meh on that draft.  Would I be mad?  Absolutely not.  Would I be stoked?  Absolutely not.

Yeah, I am a lot lower on KVN than most people here seem to be.  I think he will be fine, but I don't think he will be a special player.

I really like the idea of Darnell Washington.  I am not sure that I would actually like Darnell Washington.

And until they take a small WR, Jaylin Hyatt is too small for the Packers to draft.

27 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

are people who want a cb assuming that stokes is done, that sul is sunsetting, or just love depth at cb? if stokes' knee is ok (which the packers know about) and with nixon getting snaps there it seems like one of our strongest groups to me. 

That or people are sure Rasul's being moved to safety since Amos is likely gone.

44 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

What do you mean? I think with the big board thing, people are just taking the bpa.  I think Gonzalez, Witherspoon, and Porter Junior are just better players than other options on the poll.

If you mean overall, treat defensive backs like OL.  Always grab one or two to see what you can develop.  And if they aren't star players, treat them like RBs and let them get paid by someone else.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

I think actually taking one early isnt likely, i just think you always need to be adding to the DB room. And theres fun prospects up high.

With our group i think nickel really needs to be looked at. Think we have the 3 guys needed to play outside, dont think they want to commit JA to the slot, need to take some meat off Stokes plate and Sul is a solid DB, and with the draft being so light at safety it's too easy to slot him on the backend. Nixon being the starter makes me uneasy without much of a backup plan, and him being named a day 1 starter makes me feel like SJC isnt really on the coaches radar.

I think a sturdy nickel makes a ton of sense, which leads me to be firmly on the Branch with the jets 2nd pick if we get it and hes still hanging around.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Clowney's problem is he is not a pass rusher. Freak athlete was a very good player, but when you draft a guy #1 overall to get to the passer and he doesn't, failure. 

I don't know Jalen Carter well enough to say he's going to live off of his college production and call it good after getting drafted. 

At #1 overall, too much risk, at #13 or #15, you bet your *** I'm taking a chance on the most talented or second most talented player in the draft. 

I wouldn’t be upset, I’d be ecstatic if the Packers got him. At the same time if he’s there and they pass, I would trust they passed because of work ethic concerns.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MacReady said:

I wouldn’t be upset, I’d be ecstatic if the Packers got him. At the same time if he’s there and they pass, I would trust they passed because of work ethic concerns.

Yeah, for a lot of guys you just have to trust that the people making the decisions have more information than you do and they might be right about some things being disqualifying to concerning.

• Like 1

Digging into DBs a bit. Have to say, for being hyped Christian Gonzalez doesn't compare well to his peers from a production standpoint, 7.7 yds/target

Pending his workout, Witherspoon stands alone from 2022. 3.3 yds/target

Eli Ricks has underrated production, 4.1 yds/target.

Deonta Banks has excellent production (#3 overall so far yds/target at 4.3) and elite RAS.

JPJ looks great as well. 4.8 y/t and elite RAS.

Emmanuel Forbes is sneaky great. He needs to add weight but is an absolute ballhawk and allowed only 4.9 y/t.

Cory Trice had a really nice 5.0 y/t and a great RAS.

• Like 2