Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Rhyan changed positions and just struggled more than people expected. Newman isn't bad and he's versatile, he's just not starter material. 

God I hate Newman.  Just loathe Newman.

8 out of 10 reps are just beautiful.  High end stuff.  Then 2 out of 10 reps are just a complete dumspter fire... on simple stuff.

Dude could be a 10 year starter and a plus as a guard.  But when his feet stop moving, he's dead.  And he's yet to figure out how to block a twist or a delayed blitz.  Like, cut the mullet off, already.  Get the business haircut, go to school, watch film and just dominate already.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Of 64 starting OTs in the league currently, one has sub 33" arms.

You can certainly try Skoronski at OT, but you take him knowing most likely he's a guard.

The best pass blocking LT in college football who also has a floor of a really good IOL sounds good to me.

22 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

its stunning how low mingo is rated on most mock websites

I thought Mingo looked great in the 1 v 1's at the Senior Bowl   That was good to see because he's always intrigued me.   I thought he often ran some really sloppy routes in the few real games I saw.   I've read scouting reports like Lance Zierlein's that like his route running.  Maybe I've just watched the wrong games.  For being 220, I think he can play a little soft too, makes poor cuts, avoids contact with DB's instead of lowering a shoulder and gaining extra yards.   From what I've seen he just doesn't play to what his size would suggest.    He would be lower on my board than most I think - late 3rd-4th rnd vs 2nd

EDIT

Don't know much about this dude creating the video but in Mingo's case he kind of mirrored my impressions of him

Edited by Kampfgeist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

OG competition (excluding Jenkins) is basically Runyan, Newman, Rhyan and Hanson. We basically know what we have with Newman and Hanson. Hence why I think IOL is a mid-round need for the Packers unless they are putting their chips on Rhyan being a different player this year. 

Judging by previous drafts - Gute is going to bring bodies in to compete at IOL.

On 4/6/2023 at 8:06 AM, PackFan13 said:

Mayers blocking is overrated, though clearly better than Kincaid, he's got no seperation in the pass game. Kincaid isn't that bad of a blocker that you'd need to run away from his side. Ideally he's catching passes but to act like he's a liability is not correct. 

Getting a legit threat in our passing game is way more important than filling the Lewis role. I wouldn't mind Kincaid and Washington back to back. Washington is a great blocker but will take years to become a receiving threat.

Kincaid in the first and Laporta or Washington in the second would be great with me. People are underestimating the impact Kincaid would have on our passing game. 

It's the vibes I got with Lazard. I don't give a **** that he's a good blocker when we've got only one guy that creates separation and gets open consistently. We need people catching passes more than we need a TE blocking.  Blocking TE is much easier to find than a guy like Kincaid.

You might want to check out Andy's recent piece.

He also suggests that given the TE unit is empty, we're in a rebuild, and it's a relatively weak draft.....you 'at most' try to first trade down from #15 and, as he suggested also, try to grab an Inline Y like Washington then if you don't want to wait to grab a TE with your 2nd round pick or later. I like Kincaid, but to me he is a luxury, fit for an already stacked team that is "only one player away". That ain't the Packers. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

2 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

I thought Mingo looked great in the 1 v 1's at the Senior Bowl   That was good to see because he's always intrigued me.   I thought he often ran some really sloppy routes in the few real games I saw.   I've read scouting reports like Lance Zierlein's that like his route running.  Maybe I've just watched the wrong games.  For being 220, I think he can play a little soft too, makes poor cuts, avoids contact with DB's instead of lowering a shoulder and gaining extra yards.   From what I've seen he just doesn't play to what his size would suggest.    He would be lower on my board than most I think - late 3rd-4th rnd vs 2nd

EDIT

Don't know much about this dude creating the video but in Mingo's case he kind of mirrored my impressions of him

Agree with most of what you said. He was an early day 3 type until people overreacted to the RAS score, but his play doesn't always match the RAS. One of the things that bothers me about him is he doesn't always fight for the ball, there are times when he seems to just let the defender intercept the ball. It a little crazy to watch, he had 5 balls picked off that were thrown to him last season and most of them he probably could have broken up. A lot of talent, but a lot of work to do also. 

• Like 2

Speaking of Kincaid...here's a mock I had.

Pre-Draft Trade: QB Aaron Rodgers for WR Corey Davis, #42 and '24 Conditional SRP

1.15, 7.232, 7.235, 7.242, -> 1.18, 2.55
1.18, 2.55, 4.116 -> 1.20, 2.37, 3.83
1.20 - Dalton Kincaid [TE; Utah]
2.37 - Adetomiwa Adebwore [EDGE; Northwestern]
2.42, 5.170 -> 2.49, 3.80
2.49 - Sam LaPorta [TE; Iowa]
3.78, 5.149 -> 3.88, 4.121, 4.127, 6.185
3.80 - Jordan Battle [S; Alabama]
3.83 - Karl Brooks [DL; Bowling Green]
3.88, 4.121, 4.127, 7.256 -> 3.99, 3.101, 3.102
3.99 - Jonathan Mingo [WR; Ole Miss]
3.101 - Ronnie Hickman [S; Ohio State]
3.102 -> 4.110, 5.159
4.110 - Roschon Johnson [RB; Texas]
5.159 - Dorian Robinson-Thompson [QB; UCLA]
6.185 -> 7.227, 7.256, '24 6th
7.227 - Jake Moody [K; Michigan]
7.256 - Michael Turk [P; Oklahoma]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

You might want to check out Andy's recent piece.

He also suggests that given the TE unit is empty, we're in a rebuild, and it's a relatively weak draft.....you 'at most' try to first trade down from #15 and, as he suggested also, try to grab an Inline Y like Washington then if you don't want to wait to grab a TE with your 2nd round pick or later. I like Kincaid, but to me he is a luxury, fit for an already stacked team that is "only one player away". That ain't the Packers. 

I understand that line of thinking. I think Gute knows his job hinges on Love being good. He's going to get multiple guys to help both room with some help likely coming to wr in the Rodgers trade.

Washington helps our blocking but does very little to our passing game next year. I'd love him as a guy to develop. I just believe we need more help.  JSN with Washington in the second is probably the most ideal situation. 

If I hear one more person say we wouldn't use them based on MLF offense I'm going to scream. His offense is based on the talent we've had. He's more than capable and probably foaming at the mouth at the thought of Kincaid in the slot. 

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Pre-Draft Trade: QB Aaron Rodgers for WR Corey Davis, #42 and '24 Conditional SRP

3.102 -> 4.110, 5.159

Kincaid and LaPorta are my favorite TEs and we get edge in the second.  I'd fly to green bay to kiss gute on the mouth if this happened. 

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

God I hate Newman.  Just loathe Newman.

8 out of 10 reps are just beautiful.  High end stuff.  Then 2 out of 10 reps are just a complete dumspter fire... on simple stuff.

Dude could be a 10 year starter and a plus as a guard.  But when his feet stop moving, he's dead.  And he's yet to figure out how to block a twist or a delayed blitz.  Like, cut the mullet off, already.  Get the business haircut, go to school, watch film and just dominate already.

newman GIF

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

3.102 -> 4.110, 5.159

Quit stealing my ideas. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Quit stealing my ideas. 

I've been saying Kincaid ideally with a trade back while double dipping at TE with Washington/LaPorta too. It's touted as a great draft for TEs let's get our ******* pick of the litter and help the QB.