Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah but what does "not living up to a 1st round pick" mean? That blanket statement allows you entirely way too much wiggle room in whether you're right or not. 

That’s….a great question.

There isn’t a statistical marker I can choose off my head. If I’m taking a WR in the first round, expectations are to be a WR1 or WR2 to start his second contract. He can be WR3 out the slot as long as we find him valuable enough to pay as a WR2 (whatever that market is, comparable to others). It’s not like there’s money on the line here. Just more interesting discussion. 

No one will ever be as bad as Amari Rodgers was here. I don’t think it’ll happen in our lifetimes.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He took most of his snaps outside the tackle and that's where he looked really good in college. He has really long arms for his height. He's unbelievably explosive for his mass. His stats don't do him justice. Planet theory. We like our big EDGE guys. He isn't gonna fall back into coverage, but he can be a base EDGE (already a plus run defender) and move inside on passing downs.

If the staff likes the man enough to take him at 15, I'd be absolutely delighted. He definitely has the traits to be an elite NFL player.

I'd welcome it just to have to hear Goodell say his name during the draft...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

He took most of his snaps outside the tackle and that's where he looked really good in college. He has really long arms for his height. He's unbelievably explosive for his mass. His stats don't do him justice. Planet theory. We like our big EDGE guys. He isn't gonna fall back into coverage, but he can be a base EDGE (already a plus run defender) and move inside on passing downs.

If the staff likes the man enough to take him at 15, I'd be absolutely delighted. He definitely has the traits to be an elite NFL player.

Definitely an intriguing guy with those measurables. The people are talking.

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Oh I think Hyatt has sticky hands and can track it as good as anyone. He's a natural pass catcher with elite quickness and top end speed that played in an offense that amplified his ability. 

He has work to do, but if he's a hard worker I'd want my staff to work with him.

I'd guess that Hyatt is in a different level from JSN.  At 15, JSN might possibly get consideration; I don't think Hyatt would, and if he did it would be at risk of looking like a reach.  But depending on how things go, *IF* he hypothetically made it to 43 or 45, I think at that point he might look like a good BPA selection.  

With two picks in the low/mid 40's, I assume the Packers would look at a whole bunch of guys who have gotten some discussion as late-first-round guy.  Often some late-1st-round talents are on the board in the 40's.  

Plus as Gute showed with the massive trade-up for Watson last year, if he adds a 3rd or 4th to one of the 2nd-rounders, he can perhaps move up from 43/45.  Using the Rich HIll trade value chart, for example, 3rd-rounder plus 43 or 45 gets to the point values of picks 29 or 30.  

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Dominant trenches on both sides. Best way to make life easier on Love. OT or EDGE (or IDL) at 15 is my hope. 

I totally feel that . I’m not a WR in round 1 fan, however I’m just real high on JSN ( obviously)  and with our lack of certainty at WR, I’d like another safer gamble . 

I’ve wanted to go big for a long time. I have not been a fan of the constant secondary high picks. I’m actually a big fan of our tackles so I’d like to go JSN or a pass rusher. 

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I totally feel that . I’m not a WR in round 1 fan, however I’m just real high on JSN ( obviously)  and with our lack of certainty at WR, I’d like another safer gamble . 

I’ve wanted to go big for a long time. I have not been a fan of the constant secondary high picks. I’m actually a big fan of our tackles so I’d like to go JSN or a pass rusher. 

I take Darnell Wright at 15 and then trade Nijman for what you can get in the draft this year to clear over $3million as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses:

Hypothetically,  if Corey Davis is part of the trade, does that change your draft strategy at all?

Does it lesson your WR priority and allow you to wait another round or two??

Changes nothing. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I take Darnell Wright at 15 and then trade Nijman for what you can get in the draft this year to clear over $3million as well.

That would be my strategy. If they do in fact go OT in the 1st, I'm looking to move Nijman. He'll have more value now in a trade versus riding the bench (which you assume he would if they draft Wright to play RT) and then hitting FA, plus you get the cap savings. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That would be my strategy. If they do in fact go OT in the 1st, I'm looking to move Nijman. He'll have more value now in a trade versus riding the bench (which you assume he would if they draft Wright to play RT) and then hitting FA, plus you get the cap savings. 

It's a pretty good strategy.  I can definitely live with OT in round one. 

37 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses:

Hypothetically,  if Corey Davis is part of the trade, does that change your draft strategy at all?

Does it lesson your WR priority and allow you to wait another round or two??

It means we can draft a maximum of three instead of a maximum of four. Only one of them needs to be day 1 or 2. And only 1 absolutely must be drafted, as Gute already said a veteran will be added at some point.