Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

34 minutes ago, Hands said:

Smith is an enigma, why because when I hear experts talk…he’s never mentioned. This is only based on local sports shows and NFL XM radio. I just find it strange after his combine performance, he should be the in the top 15, but he’s not….

Could be medical concerns with his torn pec.  He's a good football player, a smart and respected leader on the Georgia team.  Quick off the ball and  can hang with RBs in the passing game game.  We'll see where he ends up.   

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

He's a Top 5 player in this draft and the best RB to come out in the last decade. Dillons contract is up after this year, and Jones will have a year remaining at 29 years old. We can move on from both next season if desired. 

May be a year too early to address RB, but considering the talent level we're talking about with Bijan, the state of the room next year, and there could definitely be worse picks than a RB. I'm all for adding blue chip players regardless of position

I don't get into pre-draft stuff the way I used to, so honest question...

Is Bijan really a better prospect coming out than Barkley?  I remember Barkley being very highly rated as a prospect.  A quick lookup showed NFL.com having Barkley graded higher (7.45 vs 6.84) but I have no idea if that is the consensus.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't get into pre-draft stuff the way I used to, so honest question...

Is Bijan really a better prospect coming out than Barkley?  I remember Barkley being very highly rated as a prospect.  A quick lookup showed NFL.com having Barkley graded higher (7.45 vs 6.84) but I have no idea if that is the consensus.

From what ive gathered from the people who i think know things..

Bijan is more decisive where saquon tries to create more as a runner so probably just what flavor you prefer

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

From what ive gathered from the people who i think know things..

Bijan is more decisive where saquon tries to create more as a runner so probably just what flavor you prefer

I just remember Barkley being a genuine "unicorn" prior to the injuries.  Tough to hate on a pick when the player is that good, so if Bijan was the pick in RD1 and was that type of player, it would be tough to hate the pick.  The thing is, he would have to be that type of player, or I would hate the pick.

• Like 1

He's a Top 5 player in this draft and the best RB to come out in the last decade. Dillons contract is up after this year, and Jones will have a year remaining at 29 years old. We can move on from both next season if desired. 

May be a year too early to address RB, but considering the talent level we're talking about with Bijan, the state of the room next year, and there could definitely be worse picks than a RB. I'm all for adding blue chip players regardless of position

I'd take Bijan in the 2nd round for sure. Probably ok value there.

I understand we will need a RB and that Bijan is probably going to be real good. It does not matter. When you can pick up guys off the street to be serviceable there’s little value to the position. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

Calling him a quality tackle is a loose description and very much up for debate. When factoring in money I think 32 GM's would disagree with you about taking him over a 2nd round prospect.  

Apparently they already did. Maybe I’m overrating him, but from what I remember, I thought he was an asset . 

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Apparently they already did. Maybe I’m overrating him, but from what I remember, I thought he was an asset . 

Other teams have until April 21st to offer him a contract, that door is not closed yet. 

He can be an asset, but not worth a 2nd round pick. 

6 minutes ago, R T said:

Other teams have until April 21st to offer him a contract, that door is not closed yet. 

He can be an asset, but not worth a 2nd round pick. 

The problem is its 2rp and 12-15 million per year on the extension

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Is Bijan really a better prospect coming out than Barkley?

I would say so, but they're different kind of guys.  The one knock you'd have on Bijan is that he doesn't have home run speed, and Barkley had it coming out of is ears.  What Bijan has is everything else- vision, contact balance, power,  patience, agility, hands, etc.

Bijan wouldn't break as many 60 yard touchdowns for sure, but he's a lot likely to get caught in the backfield and would turn 4 yard runs into 25 yard runs a lot more often.

The reason you wouldn't take Bijan as high as Barkley went is the reason Barkley shouldn't have gone that high to begin with- all of a RB's best snaps are going to happen at the front end of his career, so how valuable are those to your team if you're picking high enough to get an elite RB  Obviously, when you get down to the teams that expect to compete this year the value proposition flips.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I would say so, but they're different kind of guys.  The one knock you'd have on Bijan is that he doesn't have home run speed, and Barkley had it coming out of is ears.  What Bijan has is everything else- vision, contact balance, power,  patience, agility, hands, etc.

Bijan wouldn't break as many 60 yard touchdowns for sure, but he's a lot likely to get caught in the backfield and would turn 4 yard runs into 25 yard runs a lot more often.

The reason you wouldn't take Bijan as high as Barkley went is the reason Barkley shouldn't have gone that high to begin with- all of a RB's best snaps are going to happen at the front end of his career, so how valuable are those to your team if you're picking high enough to get an elite RB  Obviously, when you get down to the teams that expect to compete this year the value proposition flips.

bijan seems exceptional at understanding the angles needed to make runs go 20+. definitely slower than barkley but agree that he seems quicker. 

totally agree that barkley was just taken too high. imo he was not an adrian peterson type generational talent. big guy for a 4.4, but is rarely the fastest guy on the field. 

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You can find quality backs in the 4th round on.  If we spend a mid first on one it would be lunacy.  

Yet we have people pounding the table for a TE in the first. I'm not stating a case for either, but an RB is lunacy, and a TE is fine?

• Like 4